Obama to Congress: I don't need your permission for Libya War

Obama does not need permission from congress if troops are not in harms way.

I'd say doing bombing runs over enemy territory is putting them in harms way.
The WH's claims are less than believable. I'd swear that the exchange between Obama's office and Boehner's sounds like a discussion on USMB.
Lawmakers mock Obama claim on Libya hostilities - Yahoo! News

The White House pushed back, singling out Boehner and saying he has not always demanded that presidents abide by the War Powers Resolution.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Boehner's views "stand in contrast to the views he expressed in 1999 when he called the War Powers Act `constitutionally suspect' and warned Congress to `resist the temptation to take any action that would do further damage to the institution of the presidency."

Boehner's spokesman, Brendan Buck, dismissed Carney's reference to a "decade-old statement."

"As speaker, it is Boehner's responsibility to see that the law is followed, whether or not he agrees with it,"

Well then,, Congress don't need to fund his fucking war now do they? Newp. They hold the purse strings. Yep.

They have that power and are free to exercise it. It's what they should be doing instead of these other measures that are of questionable constitutionality to start with.

code-pink.jpg

Forum List

Back