Obama to Congress: I don't need your permission for Libya War

Greatest thread ever.

If this is true...doesn't that bother you, Zona?
Has politics gone this far?

The Zoned One is a complete partisan hack who will defend a thing done by a person with a (D) by the name while simultaneously denouncing the exact thing done by someone with an (R) by their name.

Just look at his avatar.

This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last when an administration's interpretation of the War Powers Act differs with congressional interpretation. The Supreme Court will never hear the case. Even if a court ruled against the administration, Congress would be very unlikely to end US participation.

Much ado about nothing.

Correct. Presidents since Truman have done this.

And in a broader context, this is the consequence of Congress abdicating its Constitutionally mandated authority to alone declare war. Congress has only itself to blame; any Executive would take this gift and never give it back. This is the result of Congress’ cowardice.

Since the courts refuse to get involved in an intra-branch squabble, there’ll be no determination as to the legality of the Executives’ actions.

But, but... I thought Obama was bringing the "new tone" to the White House?

Guess not.

Correct. Presidents since Truman have done this.

And in a broader context, this is the consequence of Congress abdicating its Constitutionally mandated authority to alone declare war. Congress has only itself to blame; any Executive would take this gift and never give it back. This is the result of Congress’ cowardice.

Since the courts refuse to get involved in an intra-branch squabble, there’ll be no determination as to the legality of the Executives’ actions.

Not so sure about that this time around. Many of the Tea Party Republicans are very radical.

And, unknowingly, they may aid those who feel that there needs to be a more responsible process for this country in terms of conducting a good methodolgy for assessing when force is to be used.

LOL, the Tea Party "Republicans" are RADICAL. and the rest, sheeeesh:lol::cuckoo:

When did the Tea Party become Republican?

:lol:

You Bush-fans/apologists surely do have short-memories....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SypeZjeOrY4]YouTube - ‪DICK Cheney "SO"‬‏[/ame]

It almost makes you sound hypocritical.

handjob.gif

SNIP:

EDITORIAL: Obama, warmonger
Libyan war has united both parties against the president
6 Comments and 0 Reactions|Tweet Share||Print Email|More

By THE WASHINGTON TIMES

-

The Washington Times

7:57 p.m., Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A bipartisan group of congressmen is filing a lawsuit against the president for pursuing an illegal war. The speaker of the House warned the Obama administration it would soon run up against a 90-day deadline, after which it will be “in violation of the War Powers Resolution unless it asks for and receives authorization from Congress or withdraws all U.S. troops and resources from the mission.” Who ever would have thought this would be happening to Nobel Peace Prize winner Barack Obama?

The Obama administration has badly mishandled the domestic political aspects of the unpopular war in Libya. Back during the 2008 election, candidate Obama got a lot of traction out of making the distinction between what he called wars of choice, like the invasion of Iraq, and wars of necessity, like the ongoing counterinsurgency in Afghanistan. The former, he argued, were not of vital American interest and thus were inherently questionable, if not wholly invalid. It allowed him to take a hawkish line on the Afghan conflict while savaging the George W. Bush administration’s record in Iraq.

the rest here..
EDITORIAL: Obama, warmonger - Washington Times

Guys give Obama a break, a big campaign promise he made was diplomacy and he tried it over and over again with Gaddafi before launching cruise missiles all over the country.

Oh wait, that didn't happen?

Guys give Obama a break, a big campaign promise he made was diplomacy and he tried it over and over again with Gaddafi before launching cruise missiles all over the country.

Oh, wait.....you've (conveniently) ignored the....

(....An ol' History-challenged-Teabagger tactic.)

handjob.gif

Last edited:

handjob.gif

For the first time since I joined this board, I click on one of Shaman's links. I'm talking about Obama's non-diplomacy so he counters with a link that says nowhere did Obama try diplomacy, normally when you counter someone you try to prove them wrong rather than prove them right.

So that'll be the first and last time I click on a Shaman link.

But thank you for making my argument even easier than it already was. Obama ignored Gadaffi's past instances of responding to diplomacy, and instead launched tens of billions of dollars of cruise missiles all over his country.

Great diplomat, another peace prize should be on the way :clap2:

handjob.gif

For the first time since I joined this board, I click on one of Shaman's links. I'm talking about Obama's non-diplomacy so he counters with a link that says nowhere did Obama try diplomacy, normally when you counter someone you try to prove them wrong rather than prove them right.

But thank you for making my argument even easier than it already was. Obama ignored Gadaffi's past instances of responding to diplomacy, and instead launched tens of billions of dollars of cruise missiles all over his country.

"....Obama had not overstepped his authority because U.S. military participation in Libya had already been scaled back to a support role that did not require congressional consent."

:eusa_whistle:

handjob.gif

"....Obama had not overstepped his authority because U.S. military participation in Libya had already been scaled back to a support role that did not require congressional consent."

As long as you're waving the white flag on the Obama-diplomacy thing, I'm good. Hence why you didn't address it in this post.

It's another war for oil, so diplomacy wasn't "necessary"............................

As long as you're waving the white flag on the Obama-diplomacy thing, I'm good. Hence why you didn't address it in this post.

It's another war for oil, so diplomacy wasn't "necessary"............................
Kinda like.....

....right??

Kinda like.....

....right??

Libya commanders admit they have Al-Qaeda fighters and that's when we remove them from the terror list.

These same rebels who burn people alive, drag people behind cars, arrest random people and hold them for any length of time of course without any chance of trial. These are people we don't consider terrorists.

Makes you wonder what kind of backroom oil deal is going on, like every conflict we have in the middle east where we're "saving" people. Just so odd we only "save" people in oil rich areas.............................

Sounds pretty similar when President Clinton said - it depends on what the meaning of the word is , is.

Obama says "Rules, Rules don't apply to me I'm above the Rules, I don't need no stinking rules"

Didn't follow the election requirement rules, why follow the rules for entering a war. He is the Chosen one the Messiah. the Grand Poohba.

Obama does not need permission from congress if troops are not in harms way.

Forum List

Back