Obama to call for elimination of all nuclear weapons

You would prefer that we actually fought WWIII instead of just posturing for forty years? WWI killed nearly as many Europeans as WWII and there were no nukes and not much in the way of effective bombing Campaigns. Frankly, nukes as nasty as they were were the first of a long line of weapons systems that were supposed to make war too horrible to fight that actually did. Without nukes there would have been a lot more wars and a lot nastier wars.

Nukes killed what 260k people out of a total death toll in excess of 50 million for all combatants in WWII.
And leftist idiots find the 260k to horrible to contemplate. Your altogether too selective morality sir is entirely pathetic.

Please understand, I don't like War nor do I like nukes, but if Nukes are the only thing that keeps humanity from another total War like WWI, and WWII I'll take however many of them it requires to prevent that sort of obscenity.

what we need to do is make sure ahmadinejad doesn't get a nuke.

Ya why is that? He can't threaten the US with it.

Ya why is that? He can't threaten the US with it.
The exact kind of willful stupidity and ignorance they're hoping for out of this new administration.

Engage your lone brain cell you might have working, and actually think about what you just said.

When nukes are outlawed only outlaws will have nukes.

exactly. kinda like guns.

Which is why it makes sense to have fewer of them around. Of course there will always be nuclear weapons, and the power nations know they are there for deterence, period. It only takes ONE to do the job of annihilating the earth, but with each country having access to the technology, including deliverance, that means that rogue nations whose leadership either doesn't care or is too stupid to understand the consequences would have a better chance of obtaining nuclear arms either by theft or purchase if the price was right.

he hopes will lend credibility to his message in atomic disputes with Iran and North Korea.

:lol: Keep dreaming Mr. Obama! :lol:

But he had to appease the American people after North Korea's missle launch over Japan! He knows he can't put an end to Nuclear weapons, but the majority of Americans are now happier since he has calmed their fear. ;)

You would rather have him scaring everyone to death like what happened in the 50's? Everyone stocked their cellars with canned goods and every kid knew where the nearest bomb shelter was located. If the powers that be knew then that the reality of an actual nuclear bomb being launched was minimal, they sure as shit know TODAY that it's damned near improbable and would be knocked out before it ever reached the ground.

Or maybe you just miss those color-coded warnings to justify a nation led by fearmongering.

When nukes are outlawed only outlaws will have nukes.

exactly. kinda like guns.

Which is why it makes sense to have fewer of them around. Of course there will always be nuclear weapons, and the power nations know they are there for deterence, period. It only takes ONE to do the job of annihilating the earth, but with each country having access to the technology, including deliverance, that means that rogue nations whose leadership either doesn't care or is too stupid to understand the consequences would have a better chance of obtaining nuclear arms either by theft or purchase if the price was right.

Of course there will always be nuclear weapons

That's stinkin thinkin Maggie. The fear mongers can't control the world any more. They hollar at the moon for what? Unending ignorance?

Obama outlines sweeping goal of nuclear-free world

Obama is dangerous. And stupid. Notice though he is up to his little charade of telling different groups polar opposites from day to day.

He was against the missile shield until he got to Prague and then he is for it, of course read the fine print, all he need do is claim Iran is not building nukes and he can say he never lied while getting rid of the shield.

Lets hope the Senate refuses to go along with his plans.

Obama never said he was against the missile shield. What he did say was this:

"I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. On the other hand, if we can responsibly deploy missile defenses that would protect us and our allies, we should - but only when the system works."

It's a tiny caveat that left the door open for negotiations, which he did.

You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. This is mindless peacenick pandering, there's no "ambition" anywhere in it... Unless he takes it to the level of "us first" then it's ambition, and annihilation.

Noble though the thought might be.

Oh! I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the idiot started dismantling all our nukes as soon as Easter break is over. Not one bit..

You would prefer that we actually fought WWIII instead of just posturing for forty years? WWI killed nearly as many Europeans as WWII and there were no nukes and not much in the way of effective bombing Campaigns. Frankly, nukes as nasty as they were were the first of a long line of weapons systems that were supposed to make war too horrible to fight that actually did. Without nukes there would have been a lot more wars and a lot nastier wars.

Nukes killed what 260k people out of a total death toll in excess of 50 million for all combatants in WWII.
And leftist idiots find the 260k to horrible to contemplate. Your altogether too selective morality sir is entirely pathetic.

Please understand, I don't like War nor do I like nukes, but if Nukes are the only thing that keeps humanity from another total War like WWI, and WWII I'll take however many of them it requires to prevent that sort of obscenity.

Achmadinejad has no real power, and it looks like he won't get reelected in July anway. He's too much of a firebrand, and the mullahs know they need to get into the game if they want to do business with the rest of the world. BUT, if Iran is stopped from progressing with its own nuclear capability (and that can be verified), then I think it's time Israel stopped with its own veiled threats.

Ok, I sort of laughed, a while back when they claimed that Obama had a "I think I am God" self image, but the more we watch him, one has to wonder, is the man deranged or just deluded?

Why would ANY MAN in the middle of trying to stabilize the US (and global, via shirttails) economy, stand up and say to the world, "Ok, next, I want to rid the world of nuclear weapons?"

Is there something seriously wrong with the guy?

Nothing more serious than what previous presidents going back to Eisenhower have also said in one form or another. Hello?

How did he grow up to be so stupid? It's like smallpox.. There's always going to be a stockpile of nukes somewhere! I know, I know he's a DUmmie! :lol:

I think what it comes down to is that Obama wants to say all the right things. He wants to be popular rather than being a good President who thinks intelligently and acts wisely. In the process, he's showing his immaturity.

or perhaps a good president should be talking about ideals while engaging in realistic policy.

i know it's been a long time, but i don't think it's a bad thing.

Obama is dangerous. And stupid. Notice though he is up to his little charade of telling different groups polar opposites from day to day.

He was against the missile shield until he got to Prague and then he is for it, of course read the fine print, all he need do is claim Iran is not building nukes and he can say he never lied while getting rid of the shield.

"I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. On the other hand, if we can responsibly deploy missile defenses that would protect us and our allies, we should - but only when the system works."

do you have a clue how STUPID that statement of his was?
do you REALLY think UNPROVEN systems get deployed?

Achmadinejad has no real power, and it looks like he won't get reelected in July anway. He's too much of a firebrand, and the mullahs know they need to get into the game if they want to do business with the rest of the world. BUT, if Iran is stopped from progressing with its own nuclear capability (and that can be verified), then I think it's time Israel stopped with its own veiled threats.

the mullahs shouldn't be allowed to possess them either. If they agree with ahmadinejad, who wants to bring the apocalypse so that the twelfth imam can come back, that country should NEVER be allowed to possess nukes.

Because of that fear of Nukes we didn't have WWIII in the fifties or early sixties Maggie and frankly that's a good thing. Us disarming unilaterally is only going to give the worlds rogues an opportunity to try for nuclear blackmail and then Pres. Obama will wish he hadn't defunded that ABM system.

Interesting. I wonder how we are going to eliminate nuclear weapons when we can't even eliminate nuclear waste.
Maybe Mr Obama hasn't noticed... but the genie is out of the bottle - and it ain't goin' back in.
Heavy sigh.

They get FUNDED, though. How many billions went into Reagan's "Star Wars" or Bush 41's Super Collider before they realized it was being built on a giant fire ant hill?

Because of that fear of Nukes we didn't have WWIII in the fifties or early sixties Maggie and frankly that's a good thing. Us disarming unilaterally is only going to give the worlds rogues an opportunity to try for nuclear blackmail and then Pres. Obama will wish he hadn't defunded that ABM system.

He doesn't intend to abandon it completely. I'm going to play dumb here, tho, because I haven't yet had a chance to check out Secretary Gates budget cuts announced yesterday.

They get FUNDED, though. How many billions went into Reagan's "Star Wars" or Bush 41's Super Collider before they realized it was being built on a giant fire ant hill?
if you dont fund them through testing phase, how do you know they are proven?

then i suppose you would stop all funding of any research into unproven things
right?

I seriously don't understand what are you all bitching about. You're all acting like it's just so out of this world and ridiculous...

Let me remind you of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty that the U.S.A. signed and ratified, especially of one special article...:

Article VI

Each of the Parties to the Treaty undertakes to pursue negotiations in good faith on effective measures relating to cessation of the nuclear arms race at an early date and to nuclear disarmament, and on a treaty on general and complete disarmament under strict and effective international control.

Here's how it will work. Countries will disarm but not completely. Every country (including us) will keep some nuclear weapons a secret just in case one of the other guys didn't or it turns out they need them later.

"What a strange game the only way to win is not to play"

We've done it with bio and chemical weapons before.

Forum List

Back