Obama: Time to address American culture ‘that too often glorifies guns and violence’

Wait a minute.

I could be wrong here, but didn't LaPierre have similar comments in his statements? Didn't he discuss a culture that feeds into violence?

Hey, I realize the two ends of the spectrum aren't allowed to agree on anything, but we're staring a pretty obvious problem right in the face here. God damn, folks, nothing gets accomplished until the egos are put away and points of agreement are celebrated and acted on.

Sheesh.

I think the difference is that one believes what they are saying the other is just a political opportunist. IF Obama believes what he says then why is he demanding gun control legislation in January? A more logical approach would be the outlawing of violent video games and a crack down on the mental health community that prescribes drugs to people that makes them violent and prone to do what the shooter did.

WTF, the shooter was receiving mental health treatment yet did what he did, but let's make sure a dad can't buy his son a deer rifle at WalMart, yeah that will fix everything.

Last edited:

Wait a minute.

I could be wrong here, but didn't LaPierre have similar comments in his statements? Didn't he discuss a culture that feeds into violence?

Hey, I realize the two ends of the spectrum aren't allowed to agree on anything, but we're staring a pretty obvious problem right in the face here. God damn, folks, nothing gets accomplished until the egos are put away and points of agreement are celebrated and acted on.

Sheesh.

I think the difference is that one believes what they are saying the other is just a political opportunist. IF Obama believes what he says then why is he demanding gun control legislation in January? A more logical approach would be the outlawing of violent video games and a crack down on the mental health community that prescribes drugs to people that makes them violent and prone to do what the shooter did.

WTF, the shooter was receiving mental health treatment yet did what he did, but let's make sure a dad can't buy his son a deer rifle at WalMart, yeah that will fix everything.

Do you have a link for this? I've been looking but can't find anything. Thanks.

Wait a minute.

Sheesh.

You fail to grasp the situation.

There is nothing that needs to be accomplished.
Nothing?
Are you sure?

"Guns and cars have long been among the leading causes of non-medical deaths in the U.S. By 2015, firearm fatalities will probably exceed traffic fatalities for the first time, based on data compiled by Bloomberg."

American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015 - Bloomberg

Wait a minute.

Sheesh.

Nothing?
Are you sure?

"Guns and cars have long been among the leading causes of non-medical deaths in the U.S. By 2015, firearm fatalities will probably exceed traffic fatalities for the first time, based on data compiled by Bloomberg."

You cannot provide any answer that would have prevented that atrocity a week ago. The discussions prior to last week, the discussions this week, and any future discussions will NOT provide a solution and keep people from dying in the world. All this talk about restricting the rights of ordinary citizens would not have prevented what happened last week, and it won't prevent it from happening in the future.

I have posted numerous times the facts that your chances of dying from a gun are almost negligent in this country.

There is no crisis, and there is nothing that needs to be done to fix a problem that does not exist.

Its tragic that kids died. Putting more people at risk will not help those kids, nor will it help prevent kids from dying in the future.

Mexican Teenagers Killed with Fast and Furious Weapons

Confirmed: Weapons from Fast and Furious were used to gun down teenagers at a birthday party in Mexico in January 2010.

As news breaks that 57 more Fast and Furious weapons have been found in Mexico, it is also being confirmed that some of those weapons were used to slaughter 14 Mexican teenagers and wound 12 more near Ciudad Juarez.

Don't lecture us Mr. President. You and your ilk have the blood of many on your hands, PERSONALLY. Nuff said.

Wait a minute.

Sheesh.

Nothing?
Are you sure?

Pull the suicides and it's not even close.

Nice try George.

I remain puzzled.

All along I thought one of the issues on which I agree with conservatives is that our culture is in danger, it's in decay, and that we absolutely must recognize that fact and address it. The NRA guy addressed it, Obama addresses it, and suddenly they're under attack. From conservatives!?

What the hell?

Wait a minute.

Sheesh.

Maybe I am reading into what news we do have a little bit but it is reported that his Mother was seeking to have him committed and had taken him for treatment. Maybe it is too early to make that leap of logic but by whatI read about him he had to be getting some sort of mental health treatment
But let's say he is was not, I guess the debate then becomes what is the trigger for treatment.

Last edited:

I remain puzzled.

All along I thought one of the issues on which I agree with conservatives is that our culture is in danger, it's in decay, and that we absolutely must recognize that fact and address it. The NRA guy addressed it, Obama addresses it, and suddenly they're under attack. From conservatives!?

What the hell?

omg, hopeless

Maybe I am reading into what news we do have a little bit but it is reported that his Mother was seeking to have him committed and had taken him for treatment. Maybe it is too early to make that leap of logic but by whatI read about him he had to be getting some sort of mental health treatment
But let's say he is was not, I guess the debate then becomes what is the trigger for treatment.

A neighbor/friend of the family, was quoted on this. From the bits and pieces of fyi floating around--it sounds like she must have consulted professionals at some point--who knows. There is no record of a psychiatrist at this point--no prescription drugs were found. They are waiting on toxicological reports.

Indeed, 'what is the trigger for treatment'.
In a home w/o the financial resources of this family I generalize that some intervention would have been required--but who knows, not me.

If I were a friend of the family I wouldn't be talking. It is conceivable that misinformation has been spread.

The FBI is working on restoring the hard drive to his computer.

Nothing?
Are you sure?

You cannot provide any answer that would have prevented that atrocity a week ago. The discussions prior to last week, the discussions this week, and any future discussions will NOT provide a solution and keep people from dying in the world. All this talk about restricting the rights of ordinary citizens would not have prevented what happened last week, and it won't prevent it from happening in the future.

I have posted numerous times the facts that your chances of dying from a gun are almost negligent in this country.

There is no crisis, and there is nothing that needs to be done to fix a problem that does not exist.

Its tragic that kids died. Putting more people at risk will not help those kids, nor will it help prevent kids from dying in the future.
Every time I go into my Social Security or Public Housing offices I'm confronted with several gun-toting private security guards and a metal detector that's sensitive enough to be set off by a belt buckle or steel-toed shoes.

Had such an arrangement been in place in Connecticut, the shooter wouldn't have lived long enough to take his own life.

Where does the money come from to fund such security?
The same (corporate) sources that fund the NRA.

Nothing?
Are you sure?

Pull the suicides and it's not even close.

Nice try George.
We would have to know what percentage of suicide victims chose to die behind the wheel.

"The Dec. 14 slaying of 20 children and six adults at the school in Newtown, Connecticut, reignited a debate over gun violence. While mass murders are rare, shootings aren’t. About 85 Americans are shot dead daily -- 53 of them suicides. Every day, one of those killed by firearms is 14 or younger."

MV5BMTcxMDcxODk2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM3MDU1MQ@@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Hey, thanks. That's the info I read as well, didn't know if you had found something more.

If this kid was as troubled as is being reported (autism spectrum, mental/personality issues, etc) ... where are his IEPs (Individual Education Programs for kids w/all types of problems ... emotional, social, academic, etc) that the school would have done from early on? They are the basis for what therapies/programs/help the child needs and is eligible to receive. They follow the kid from grade to grade (the IEP is revised once a year at the least and any time the parent requests) and school to school.

His mother pulled him out of school to home school him but from what I've read, that didn't happen until high school. Where's the paperwork trail from the school on this kid?

I remain puzzled.

What the hell?

"Collective responsibility is a concept or doctrine, according to which individuals are to be held responsible for other people's actions by tolerating, ignoring, or harboring them, without actively collaborating in these actions."

Maybe US liberals and conservatives are threatened by knowing their culture currently tolerates, ignores, and harbors the seeds of its own destruction?

Collective responsibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remain puzzled.

What the hell?

"Collective responsibility is a concept or doctrine, according to which individuals are to be held responsible for other people's actions by tolerating, ignoring, or harboring them, without actively collaborating in these actions."

Maybe US liberals and conservatives are threatened by knowing their culture currently tolerates, ignores, and harbors the seeds of its own destruction?

Collective responsibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So what's your suggestion to make us all one big happy collective?

Hmmmm...homos are bad, atheists are evil, women who have sex and need birth control are sluts, the pot will make u crazy....

But...

"I wish Obama would stay out of our lives."

Thanks for the giggle.

Forum List

Back