Obama throws Wes Clark under the bus

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Obama Campaign Rejects Clark Statement - Political Machine

In response to the furor over General Wesley Clark's remarks on Sunday's Face the Nation, and the McCain campaign's denunciation of same, the Obama campaign has just released the following statement: (via email)
"As he's said many times before, Senator Obama honors and respects Senator McCain's service, and of course he rejects yesterday's statement by General Clark," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.​
Senator Obama also referenced the incident, without specifying Clark, during today's speech on patriotism in Independence, MO:<script type="text/javascript"> var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www."); document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E")); </script><script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/ga.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/ga.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript"> var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-3712949-1"); pageTracker._initData(); pageTracker._trackPageview(); </script>

:
For those who have fought under the flag of this nation – for the young veterans I meet when I visit Walter Reed; for those like John McCain who have endured physical torment in service to our country – no further proof of such sacrifice is necessary.

And let me also add that no one should ever devalue that service, especially for the sake of a political campaign, and that goes for supporters on both sides.​

Wes Clark is a complete idiot. I'm surprised anyone takes the guy seriously.

Wesley Clark is hardly an idiot...

Wesley Kanne Clark (born December 23, 1944) is a retired General of the United States Army. Clark was valedictorian of his class at West Point, was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship to the University of Oxford where he obtained a degree in PPE (Philosophy, Politics & Economics), and later graduated from the Command and General Staff College with a master's degree in military science. He spent 34 years in the Army and the Department of Defense, receiving many military decorations, several honorary knighthoods, and a Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Clark was assigned a position in the 1st Infantry Division and flew to Vietnam on May 21, 1969 during the U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War. He worked as a staff officer, collecting data and helping in operations planning, and was awarded the Bronze Star for his work with the staff. Clark was then given command of A Company, 1st Battalion, 16th Infantry of the 1st Infantry Division in January 1970. In February, only one month into his command, he was shot four times by a Viet Cong soldier with an AK-47. The wounded Clark shouted orders to his men, who counterattacked and defeated the Viet Cong force. Clark had injuries to his right shoulder, right hand, right hip, and right leg, and was sent to Valley Forge Army Hospital in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania to recuperate. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions during the encounter.[20]

Because, of course, we should only honor the service of REPUBS to their country.
:eusa_whistle:

You can always identify a partisan, because they have this kind of chip on their shoulder. No one said anything about Republican v. Democrat, and I'm a guy supporting the Democrat nominee for President, and this is the kind of lame response I get. Quite comical.

You can always identify a partisan, because they have this kind of chip on their shoulder. No one said anything about Republican v. Democrat, and I'm a guy supporting the Democrat nominee for President, and this is the kind of lame response I get. Quite comical.

You're the one who called him "dummy"? Would you accept that in talking about McCain?

Wesley Clark is hardly an idiot...

Wesley Kanne Clark (born December 23, 1944) is a retired General of the United States Army. Clark was valedictorian of his class at West Point, was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship to the University of Oxford where he obtained a degree in PPE (Philosophy, Politics & Economics), and later graduated from the Command and General Staff College with a master's degree in military science. He spent 34 years in the Army and the Department of Defense, receiving many military decorations, several honorary knighthoods, and a Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Clark was assigned a position in the 1st Infantry Division and flew to Vietnam on May 21, 1969 during the U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War. He worked as a staff officer, collecting data and helping in operations planning, and was awarded the Bronze Star for his work with the staff. Clark was then given command of A Company, 1st Battalion, 16th Infantry of the 1st Infantry Division in January 1970. In February, only one month into his command, he was shot four times by a Viet Cong soldier with an AK-47. The wounded Clark shouted orders to his men, who counterattacked and defeated the Viet Cong force. Clark had injuries to his right shoulder, right hand, right hip, and right leg, and was sent to Valley Forge Army Hospital in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania to recuperate. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions during the encounter.[20]

None of this contradicts him being an idiot. I know factory workers with high school educations who are pretty damn smart, and I know Ph.D's who are complete idiots (and vice versa). Merely reciting all of this doesn't do much.

You're the one who called him "dummy"? Would you accept that in talking about McCain?

It's not a matter of accept or not accept. I disagree with McCain, but I have no reason to think he's an idiot. I've heard and seen Clark speak on TV and radio numerous times and I know people who actually served under the guy, and my opinion of him is that he's an idiot. I don't care about his party affiliation in the least.

See, I don't think Clark said anything wrong. Being a POW doesn't qualify McCain for the job of president. It means he should be respected for his service, but doesn't have anything to do with addressing his other shortcomings.

And the funny thing is Clark's said this before... notably on Scarborough's show.... and then McCain's campaign realized they had another opportunity to try to keep anyone from talking about McCain. So now, we're not allowed to talk about his age (even though it impacts on his decision-making ability) or the fact that his service doesn't make him presidential material.

It's not a matter of accept or not accept. I disagree with McCain, but I have no reason to think he's an idiot. I've heard and seen Clark speak on TV and radio numerous times and I know people who actually served under the guy, and my opinion of him is that he's an idiot. I don't care about his party affiliation in the least.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. And if I misconstrued the basis, then apologies. But I'd say he's far from a dummy. A politico? Absolutely... but far from stupid.

Wes Clark is a complete idiot. I'm surprised anyone takes the guy seriously.

I don't know if that's true or not, but his remark "I don't think getting in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to become president," isn't something anyone in their right mind could disagree with.

How long are we going to pretend that people that served in the military are wussies?

Yes, he won the war in the Balkans without losing a single American soldier.

And there were only 19 in the Grenada operation.... and since circumstances were COMPLETELY different in each military action, it is not a valid point to point to the "no casualties" claim as proof of not being stupid.... especially since if Clark's recommendation WOULD have been followed, the odds of casualties would have SEVERELY increased

This guy's decisions as a commander were HIGHLY suspect.... I served under many commands.. thank God I never served under Clark

So disagreeing with somebody equals throwing them under the bus heh Rav?

Something tells me we've yet to see the depths to which you'll stoop.

Forum List

Back