Obama: the US can no longer fight the world's battles

obama will do anything to make sure that America can't defend itself. The sooner we are defeated and crushed the sooner he can claim his place as caliph as promised.

LMAO.

You honestly think Al Queda is going to board its massive Navy, land on the beaches of Dover, Delaware, and start conquering the United States?

You actually bought into that "better there than here" bullshit?

Wise move. Defense spending consumes too much of budget.

Yes, lets not defend ourselves and continue to spend 2 times as much as we do on Defense on Bloated Entitlement programs. Everything will ok.

Sounds good to me. Let's also put some of the DOD dollars into the State Department and in developing diplomats who speak and understand the culture of our friends and foes alike. Next time the SecDef wants to invade a nation with the military we have, not the one we want, State can give some sensible advice.

What was the US armed forces in the 1930's vs today ?

In the 1930's Spain had a larger military. In fact almost every nation on Earth that was worthy of the name had a larger military than we did. The one exception being the Navy, that was still very large. But the Army was very, very, small.

We shouldn't be the worlds policemen. Let the damned UN do that job with its other member nations. We pay for it, let the others do the bleeding for once.

We pay 26% of the UN's bills, We need to stop that and kick them the hell out of New York. That would save a bundle.

I don't think the budget is the problem, it's where he wants to cut.

For instance, he wants to cut the size of the Army and Marines, but still wants to maintain 11 Carrier Battle Groups. We have three new Carriers under construction that will replace 3 older but probably still serviceable ones.

Do we need 11 Carrier Battle Groups? Well, let's see how other countries stack up in their number of carriers.

Italy has 2, but they are an ally
the UK Has 1, but they are an ally.
Spain has 2, but they are a joke. Also an ally.
France has 1. But it keeps surrendering.

India has 1. But we are on good terms with India.

Russia has one. China has one under contruction. Neither are anywhere near ours in terms of range, capability, etc.

So we don't need them, but we are keeping them.

Meanwhile, we are cutting the number of active divisions- again. To the point where we can't fight two land wars at once. It's an invitation to someone to say, "Well, America's Busy in Goofistan, we can launch an invasion of our neighbor."

Part of it is the thinking that the Air FOrce and Navy have to get as much as the Army gets, when the Army is the key force.

Wise move. Defense spending consumes too much of budget.

OK How much of the budget is "too" much?

Why with the internet do you idiots persist in these huge myths?
[/ATTACH]

Defense is the ONLY Constitutional mentioned expenditure by the way..
U.S. Federal spending on:
6% Interest (not in the Constitution!)
43% Medicare&Medicaid & Social Security (NOT in the Constitution)
31% Discretionary/Other Mandatory (again no where in the Constitution!)
20% Defense Department MENTIONED see (d) below...
We the People of the United States,
in Order to form
a) a more perfect Union,
b) establish Justice,
c) insure domestic Tranquility,
d) provide for the common defence,
e) promote the general Welfare, and
f) secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity,
do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Again what is too much when the Constitution specifies "common defense" whereas none of the other 80% is enumerated as clearly??

So all we should spend money on as a nation is defense? God help you.

We shouldn't be the worlds policemen. Let the damned UN do that job with its other member nations. We pay for it, let the others do the bleeding for once.
The majority of us have been saying this for decades. How can we call this a free country when the government does the bidding of war profiteers and foreigners who don't have the guts to fight for their own freedom?

obama will do anything to make sure that America can't defend itself. The sooner we are defeated and crushed the sooner he can claim his place as caliph as promised.

Ah yes, the typical neo-con fearmongering. The U.S. spends more on our military than every other nation in the world combined, but somehow making some cuts translates into us no longer being able to defend ourselves. Tell me, whose ass would you like to pull the money out of to keep paying for our worldwide military empire, being how we're going broke and all?
Subject their spoiled heirs to the draft at age 18 and the Chickenhawks will quit squawking about beefing up the military. Beef is just something we get from bull.

I don't think the budget is the problem, it's where he wants to cut.

For instance, he wants to cut the size of the Army and Marines, but still wants to maintain 11 Carrier Battle Groups. We have three new Carriers under construction that will replace 3 older but probably still serviceable ones.

Do we need 11 Carrier Battle Groups? Well, let's see how other countries stack up in their number of carriers.

Italy has 2, but they are an ally
the UK Has 1, but they are an ally.
Spain has 2, but they are a joke. Also an ally.
France has 1. But it keeps surrendering.

India has 1. But we are on good terms with India.

Russia has one. China has one under contruction. Neither are anywhere near ours in terms of range, capability, etc.

So we don't need them, but we are keeping them.

Meanwhile, we are cutting the number of active divisions- again. To the point where we can't fight two land wars at once. It's an invitation to someone to say, "Well, America's Busy in Goofistan, we can launch an invasion of our neighbor."

Part of it is the thinking that the Air FOrce and Navy have to get as much as the Army gets, when the Army is the key force.

Seems to me that we're planning on selling some of our older carriers. Possibly to Saudi Arabia and/or Israel or India or Australia or Japan or Brazil. But most definitely to an ally in the Middle East as well as the Asia Pacific region.

Obama: the US can no longer fight the world's battles

President plans to cut half a million troops and says US can't afford to wage two wars at once

The mighty American military machine that has for so long secured the country's status as the world's only superpower will have to be drastically reduced, Barack Obama warned yesterday as he set out a radical but more modest new set of priorities for the Pentagon over the next decade.

Click HERE to view 'America's shrinking military' graphic

After the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that defined the first decade of the 21st century, Mr Obama's blueprint for the military's future acknowledged that America will no longer have the resources to conduct two such major operations simultaneously.

SNIP---
The specifics of the new proposals, set out in a document entitled "Sustaining US Global Leadership: Priorities for 21st Century Defense", have yet to be fleshed out. But they are likely to entail a reduction of up to 490,000 in a total military personnel now standing at some 1.6 million worldwide, as well as cuts in costly procurement programmes – some originally designed for a Cold War environment.

Obama: the US can no longer fight the world's battles - Americas - World - The Independent

I totally agree with Barack Obama on this as WE need not be the worlds police anymore. This sounds much like what I wanted anyways with the focus shifted to the pacific and out of the middle east. I want Obama to pull all of our troops out of the middle east and Africa...Close the fucking bases too. Refocus our military on national defense using the pacific as screwing around in a sand pit is a waste of time. This means keep our navy to make sure no nations can get here and put troops on the borders.

I'd cut the military to 400 billion per year. To hell with the middle east...We tried, but those people will never ever change. WE need to wash our hands of it. Obama is right!

No war with Iran or Pakistan. Let them rule the middle east if they so wish. What's it to us? :eusa_boohoo:

Between this and the improving economy, I'm starting to think Obama may get another 4 years.

I knew Obama's main interest was in prudent removal or our forces from the combat zone and then putting an end to the insanity that is "preemptive war". It's just taken three years to get there.

That's why I voted for him.

Despite what people say, there is a difference between Obama and Romney/Santorum/Newt. The former is trying to guide us into a rational foreign policy. The latter will have us in another war at the drop of a hat.

I'm sure you must have missed this.............
The ONLY reason we're finally out of Iraq is because December 31, 2011 was the pull-out date that Bush put in place. Obama wanted to keep some of our military there, but the Iraqi leaders wouldn't agree to give them immunity from Iraqi laws. There was nothing else obama could do but bring them home. So he failed you again! :)

We have a stronger military than the next ten countries combined and eight of those ten are our allies

Time to allow other countries to play policeman

Another liberal president trying to eviserate our armed forces. As usual, we will have to elect a Republican to undo the damage and hope we don't pay the price in the meantime.

We have a stronger military than the next ten countries combined and eight of those ten are our allies

Time to allow other countries to play policeman

We're not "playing policeman" for others you fool, we are securing our own interests. Are you fucking clowns even capable of thinking beyond liberal bumper stickers?

I'm sure you must have missed this.............
The ONLY reason we're finally out of Iraq is because December 31, 2011 was the pull-out date that Bush put in place. Obama wanted to keep some of our military there, but the Iraqi leaders wouldn't agree to give them immunity from Iraqi laws. There was nothing else obama could do but bring them home. So he failed you again! :)

Bullshit. His own military commanders told him we needed to maintain more of a presence, but he used the excuse of negotiations on SOFA to bail so he could go into an election cycle saying, "looky what I done!" and hoping everyone is too tired and shortsighted to actually realize what he's done.

Forum List

Back