Obama: the US can no longer fight the world's battles

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Matthew, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,215
    Obama: the US can no longer fight the world's battles

President plans to cut half a million troops and says US can't afford to wage two wars at once

The mighty American military machine that has for so long secured the country's status as the world's only superpower will have to be drastically reduced, Barack Obama warned yesterday as he set out a radical but more modest new set of priorities for the Pentagon over the next decade.

Click HERE to view 'America's shrinking military' graphic

After the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that defined the first decade of the 21st century, Mr Obama's blueprint for the military's future acknowledged that America will no longer have the resources to conduct two such major operations simultaneously.

SNIP---
    The specifics of the new proposals, set out in a document entitled "Sustaining US Global Leadership: Priorities for 21st Century Defense", have yet to be fleshed out. But they are likely to entail a reduction of up to 490,000 in a total military personnel now standing at some 1.6 million worldwide, as well as cuts in costly procurement programmes – some originally designed for a Cold War environment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-longer-fight-the-worlds-battles-6285629.html

I totally agree with Barack Obama on this as WE need not be the worlds police anymore. This sounds much like what I wanted anyways with the focus shifted to the pacific and out of the middle east. I want Obama to pull all of our troops out of the middle east and Africa...Close the fucking bases too. Refocus our military on national defense using the pacific as screwing around in a sand pit is a waste of time. This means keep our navy to make sure no nations can get here and put troops on the borders.

I'd cut the military to 400 billion per year. To hell with the middle east...We tried, but those people will never ever change. WE need to wash our hands of it. Obama is right!

No war with Iran or Pakistan. Let them rule the middle east if they so wish. What's it to us? :eusa_boohoo:

Between this and the improving economy, I'm starting to think Obama may get another 4 years.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,023
    Wise move. Defense spending consumes too much of budget.

3. Matthew

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,215
  4. Matthew

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,215
    I'd cut to 400 billion or 4 times the next up military and reduce our military to 650,000. ON the other hand I'd keep the navy intact so no nation can get to our shores to fight us, ever! Fuck the rest of the world. Time for europe to build their own military's!:badgrin: Go Obama!!!

5. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Over 10 years? That's it?? LOLZ...

Either get it done in your time as President or don't pretend others will do it for you.

6. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,785
    We shouldn't be the worlds policemen. Let the damned UN do that job with its other member nations. We pay for it, let the others do the bleeding for once.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,541
    The military budget is still more than it was under Bush, Jr.

8. zonly1

zonly1 Probie still throwin'em

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    What was the US armed forces in the 1930's vs today ?

9. zonly1

zonly1 Probie still throwin'em

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Your the pigeon that the enemies are banking on. Our enemy knows our weakness, pigeon. Where do we start? Finances.....
    GOLDMAN: The World's Going To Hell In A Handbasket?Here's How To Cash In! - Business Insider

Soros: Euro Crisis More Serious than the Crash of 2008

Soros is shorting the dollar. He wants the domino effect....war. He set you up.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  10. Wacky Quacky

Wacky Quacky Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +376
    I love that the president said it, but his actions during his first four years tells a very different story. I cannot take his statement as anything but campaigning.