Obama-- the second coming of Jimmy Carter

It was so bad during the Carter years that Ted Kennedy challenged him on a primary. It's worse now, and if Obama was not black he would be challenged from some in his own party, but they won't because they would be called a racist.

Now- go ahead and call me a racist. I know you will. But that's a fact and one you can believe in.

How was Carter years bad?
carter was given an unimaginable fiasco with the legacy of watergate, the ford pardons, the economic legacy of vietnam (aka "iraq: the prequel"), the terrible state of the middle east at that time, and obviously the iranian hostage crisis. i'd love to hear a right-winger tell me what carter would do about the hostage crisis that was different than what carter did.

Obviously, you didn't try and buy a house under the Carter administration, huh? :eusa_eh:

carter was given an unimaginable fiasco with the legacy of watergate, the ford pardons, the economic legacy of vietnam (aka "iraq: the prequel"), the terrible state of the middle east at that time, and obviously the iranian hostage crisis. i'd love to hear a right-winger tell me what carter would do about the hostage crisis that was different than what carter did.

Obviously, you didn't try and buy a house under the Carter administration, huh? :eusa_eh:

well, no, i was about seven. but i'd rather have bought a house then than buy a house now.

well, no, i was about seven. but i'd rather have bought a house then than buy a house now.

Yeah, the 20% interest on a home mortgage wouldn't have bothered you? Along with the inflation that went with it?

Both great men. Carter had bad luck- the Iran Hostage crisis killed him, along with Teddy and the Dems- he wanted austerity, a la Raygun (nobody knows that). Obama knows D.C. much better. Will go down as great if he can get reelected. Today's GOP is a total BS nightmare...

It was so bad during the Carter years that Ted Kennedy challenged him on a primary. It's worse now, and if Obama was not black he would be challenged from some in his own party, but they won't because they would be called a racist.

Now- go ahead and call me a racist. I know you will. But that's a fact and one you can believe in.

10% unemployment.
17-18% inflation.
13-15% home mortgage loans, because he printed so much money.
Gas moratoriums- waiting in lines for hours to gas up your tank, implemented a 55 mph on the interstate hwy's to conserve gas.

It was bad- in order to buy a home you would have to have the owner carry much of the mortgage, that's the only way we got around those high interest rates. It was bad, and it is bad now. But when you elect a far left liberal President it's about the only thing you can expect. They see life through rose colored glasses not reality and they have an agenda that does not reflect the facts. Kennedy did challenge an incumbent President, but they won't here, because they would be called a racist for doing so. Sometimes I think that people need to be reminded why we don't elect far left liberal Presidents and I think that time is now. I just hope that people have learned from this experience and remember it in the future.
Washingtonpost.com Special Report: Clinton Accused

Last edited:

Yeah, the 20% interest on a home mortgage wouldn't have bothered you? Along with the inflation that went with it?
not if i'd taken the long view and rode that bastard down the housing bubble and sold it in 2007, wouldn't have bothered me one bit. the house my folks bought in 1978 sold about 5 years ago for something like 2-1/2 times its '78 price. a house in those days would have been a hella good investment, unless you were distracted by short-term indicators.

the high interest rates and inflation were inevitable, you can't fight a ten-year useless war the way we did in vietnam and not have consequences for the economy. wars destroy economies. world war ii was an exception for the US for complicated reasons but typically, if you decide to start a war and you let it drag on for a decade, you can expect severe economic downturn, basically because you're taking all your money, shipping it halfway around the world and uselessly blowing it up. that's the shit sandwich that got dumped in carter's lap, and given the circumstances, he didn't do too bad with it.

not if i'd taken the long view and rode that bastard down the housing bubble and sold it in 2007, wouldn't have bothered me one bit. the house my folks bought in 1978 sold about 5 years ago for something like 2-1/2 times its '78 price. a house in those days would have been a hella good investment, unless you were distracted by short-term indicators.

the high interest rates and inflation were inevitable, you can't fight a ten-year useless war the way we did in vietnam and not have consequences for the economy. wars destroy economies. world war ii was an exception for the US for complicated reasons but typically, if you decide to start a war and you let it drag on for a decade, you can expect severe economic downturn, basically because you're taking all your money, shipping it halfway around the world and uselessly blowing it up. that's the shit sandwich that got dumped in carter's lap, and given the circumstances, he didn't do too bad with it.

The vietnam war had little to do with it, it was that we had a President who was incompetent as we have now to deal with anything. He as President Obama are nice people but they both had absolutely no business being the President of the United States.

The vietnam war had little to do with it, it was that we had a President who was incompetent as we have now to deal with anything. He as President Obama are nice people but they both had absolutely no business being the President of the United States.
opinions are not the same as facts, maple, and venting is not the same as discourse. though i appreciate your concession that obama and carter are nice people. in carter's case i think you're right. in obama's, my jury's out.

the vietnam war, and unrest in the middle east, were absolutely and indisputably the driving forces behind the economic turmoil in the mid- to late-70s, and it's not a coincidence that the interminable wars in iraq and afghanistan are dragging down our economy now. gerald ford could have been president until 1981 and that wouldn't have changed. there were gas crises and rampant inflation in his administration too.

Last edited:

I can tell you were only 7 under Carter. :cuckoo:

fascinating. is this like the megan mccain mentality where you can't know about historical eras unless you were an adult during that era? news flash, con: there's a little thing called BOOKS where you can learn about things that happened in the PAST. man, cons are dim bulbs. it's gotta be bright, shining and in their face or they just plain don't get it.

You mean he's got a Republican opponent that's going to commit treason to win an election?

Well..one could hope..eh?

:cuckoo:

They weren't bad.

Inconveinent..but not bad at all.

If we had kept up many of his initiatives..we'd be leading the world in green energy and wouldn't some of the problems we have today.

fascinating. is this like the megan mccain mentality where you can't know about historical eras unless you were an adult during that era? news flash, con: there's a little thing called BOOKS where you can learn about things that happened in the PAST. man, cons are dim bulbs. it's gotta be bright, shining and in their face or they just plain don't get it.

Apparently with you....yes. :razz:

They weren't bad.

If we had kept up many of his initiatives..we'd be leading the world in green energy and wouldn't some of the problems we have today.

If they weren't bad...he wouldn't have been thrashed in the re-election. If they weren't bad, nobody would have ran against him in a primary. Sheesh, have a little denial with your coffee?

Apparently with you....yes. :razz:

it would be nice if, instead of going "you're a dumbo doo-doo head" like a six-year-old, you actually explained how you think carter's policies were directly responsible for the economic downturn, and not the interminable and incredibly expensive vietnam war. you know, mention a specific policy and then come up with a specific bit of fiscal reasoning linking that policy to the downturn. you know, establish some sort of causation. make a calm, convincing argument. if you want some reasoning on why i think long wars tend to bankrupt nations, i'm willing to provide some.

i'm thinking i'm probably not going to get that, though.

They weren't bad.

If they weren't bad...he wouldn't have been thrashed in the re-election. If they weren't bad, nobody would have ran against him in a primary. Sheesh, have a little denial with your coffee?

No denial.

Carter was not doing badly in the polls..then the hostages weren't released.

He was deemed weak by the electorate.

Reagan's treason worked.

They weren't bad.

No denial.

Reagan's treason worked.

as usual, to understand the conservative mind, one must refer to The Onion.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/reagan-pyramid-nears-completion,1032/

"This is the spleen that brought down the Evil Russian Empire," said Reagan Chief of Staff James Baker, holding aloft several of Reagan's just-removed innards. "And these are the lungs that ended the Great Iran Hostage Crisis, caused by his weak predecessor, Carter I. Hail Reagan."

They weren't bad.

No denial.

Reagan's treason worked.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that if it salves the wound. The polls were wrong and people didn't change their mind just because of the hostage situation. Especially the democratic base, Sallow. The man got his ass handed to him in the general election...it was an epic landslide victory for Reagan. Carter wasn't any good and couldn't even get along with his democrat House.

Forum List

Back