Obama, the inexperience myth

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
"Well, Abraham Lincoln served two years in the U.S.House, and seemed to do all right." Newt Gingrich, commenting on Obama's experience

Barack Obama and the Myth of Inexperience

by John K. Wilson

"Obama's experience in state and national politics also exceeds that of Ronald Reagan (eight years as governor), Jimmy Carter (four years in state senate, four years as governor), Dwight Eisenhower (no political experience), and Harry Truman (10 years as US senator, one year as vice president). In fact, Obama's total political experience exceeds Thompson's eight lackluster years as a senator or Giuliani's two terms as mayor of New York City, which they felt made them qualified to be president.

I did a quick study of presidential experience (see the results here) and discovered that out of 42 presidents, only 20 had more experience as an elected public official than Obama does now. Only 22 presidents had more experience than Obama as an elected official in Washington, D.C. In terms of his experience, Obama would be a typical president. Yet you won't find anyone in the media reporting on the fact that Obama has more foreign policy experience than four out of the last five presidents."

Barack Obama and the Myth of Inexperience | Obama Politics

"Well, Abraham Lincoln served two years in the U.S.House, and seemed to do all right." Newt Gingrich, commenting on Obama's experience

Barack Obama and the Myth of Inexperience

by John K. Wilson

"Obama's experience in state and national politics also exceeds that of Ronald Reagan (eight years as governor), Jimmy Carter (four years in state senate, four years as governor), Dwight Eisenhower (no political experience), and Harry Truman (10 years as US senator, one year as vice president). In fact, Obama's total political experience exceeds Thompson's eight lackluster years as a senator or Giuliani's two terms as mayor of New York City, which they felt made them qualified to be president.

I did a quick study of presidential experience (see the results here) and discovered that out of 42 presidents, only 20 had more experience as an elected public official than Obama does now. Only 22 presidents had more experience than Obama as an elected official in Washington, D.C. In terms of his experience, Obama would be a typical president. Yet you won't find anyone in the media reporting on the fact that Obama has more foreign policy experience than four out of the last five presidents."

Barack Obama and the Myth of Inexperience | Obama Politics

You only have experience when you've been a mayor of a town of 7,000 and the Governor of the smallest state in the country for 18 months and THEN you have experience. Get it straight

lol...obamapolitics.com

"Obama, who has far more experience on foreign affairs than Bush thanks to four years on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee"

which he never held one fucking meeting for.

lol, Reagen was a governor for 8 years of one of the largest and most productive and populated states in the union.

Obama was a state senator for 6 years and a federal senator for 2 which he has been campigning for president for half of it.

retarded thread, retarded link

The attack on his lack of experience has always been just another right wing talking point. Full of sound and fury and signifying shit.

But If I come for the Meth capital of Alaska, put that town in debt for a Sports Arena, and then govern the least populated state in the union for less than two years, I got sperience.

"Obama, who has far more experience on foreign affairs than Bush thanks to four years on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee"

which he never held one fucking meeting for.

That is another myth and actually came out in the debates had you cleaned the potatoes out of your dumb ears.

Let's hear from a few republicans:

"He [Obama] has ten years experience in public office, more than the two other leading Democratic candidates, Hillary Clinton (six-plus years as Senator from New York) and John Edwards (six years as Senator from North Carolina). Barack's first eight years spent in the Illinois senate before his two years (and counting) of service in the U.S. Senate, should not be forgotten. Far away from the Washington spotlight, he introduced, voted on and passed bills, debated with his colleagues—something that was missing in Washington, where everything is settled in the backroom—and arduously worked to satisfy his constituents. Most important of all, he learned that how to work across the aisle, and get stuff done.

"When you come in, especially as a freshman, and work on something like ethics reform, it's not necessarily a way to endear yourself to some of the veteran members of the Illinois General Assembly," said state Sen. Kirk W. Dillard, a Republican who became a friend. "And working on issues like racial profiling was contentious, but Barack had a way both intellectually and in demeanor that defused skeptics.""

Does Barack Obama have enough experience to be president? - Obamapedia

Obama has plenty of experience compared to:

"Freddoso's lies begin on the very first page of his book (repeated on the back cover) when he proclaims that Obama is "the least experienced politician in at least one hundred years to obtain a major party nomination for President...."(ix) Freddoso seems to be conveniently forgetting that George W. Bush in 2000 had served only six years as governor, far fewer years of experience as an elected public official than Obama's 12 years of experience (eight as state senator, four as US senator). Obama's experience in politics also exceeds that of Ronald Reagan (eight years as governor), Jimmy Carter (four years in state senate, four years as governor), Dwight Eisenhower (no political experience), Harry Truman (10 years as US senator, one year as vice president), Herbert Hoover (eight years as Secretary of Commerce), Woodrow Wilson (two years as governor), and William Howard Taft (four years as Secretary of War, two years as Solicitor General). Compared to 17 presidents in the past century, Obama has more political experience than eight of them, and less experience than eight of them (he's tied with Warren Harding). "

Obama Politics

Book Review: The Case Against Barack Obama

I love how they laud McCain for experience and then call him a Maverick.

Palin has Mavericky experience too.

Obama has worked with all levels of government from the street level ,state and national.

He has all the experience anyone needs to understand how the American governmetn works and is not beholden to the power structure in this coutnry like McCain.

It the main reason why I rejected Hillary from the start. She is part of the problem.

McCain is part of the problem.

Obama has seen just enough to know how to change this country but not enough to get sucked in.

Obama is the ONLY wise choice if you wnat this country to change.

That is another myth and actually came out in the debates had you cleaned the potatoes out of your dumb ears.

Let's hear from a few republicans:

"He [Obama] has ten years experience in public office, more than the two other leading Democratic candidates, Hillary Clinton (six-plus years as Senator from New York) and John Edwards (six years as Senator from North Carolina). Barack's first eight years spent in the Illinois senate before his two years (and counting) of service in the U.S. Senate, should not be forgotten. Far away from the Washington spotlight, he introduced, voted on and passed bills, debated with his colleagues—something that was missing in Washington, where everything is settled in the backroom—and arduously worked to satisfy his constituents. Most important of all, he learned that how to work across the aisle, and get stuff done.

"When you come in, especially as a freshman, and work on something like ethics reform, it's not necessarily a way to endear yourself to some of the veteran members of the Illinois General Assembly," said state Sen. Kirk W. Dillard, a Republican who became a friend. "And working on issues like racial profiling was contentious, but Barack had a way both intellectually and in demeanor that defused skeptics.""

Does Barack Obama have enough experience to be president? - Obamapedia

Obama has plenty of experience compared to:

"Freddoso's lies begin on the very first page of his book (repeated on the back cover) when he proclaims that Obama is "the least experienced politician in at least one hundred years to obtain a major party nomination for President...."(ix) Freddoso seems to be conveniently forgetting that George W. Bush in 2000 had served only six years as governor, far fewer years of experience as an elected public official than Obama's 12 years of experience (eight as state senator, four as US senator). Obama's experience in politics also exceeds that of Ronald Reagan (eight years as governor), Jimmy Carter (four years in state senate, four years as governor), Dwight Eisenhower (no political experience), Harry Truman (10 years as US senator, one year as vice president), Herbert Hoover (eight years as Secretary of Commerce), Woodrow Wilson (two years as governor), and William Howard Taft (four years as Secretary of War, two years as Solicitor General). Compared to 17 presidents in the past century, Obama has more political experience than eight of them, and less experience than eight of them (he's tied with Warren Harding). "

Obama Politics

Book Review: The Case Against Barack Obama

Just when I though tyou couldn't surpass the level of stupidity you obtained previously, you go ahead and do something like this.

Barack Obama's chairmanship of the Senate Subcommittee on European Affairs | Salon

Doubts about Barack Obama's presidential credentials have crystallized during the past two weeks over his stewardship of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Subcommittee on European Affairs, which has convened no policy hearings since he took over as its chairman last January.

FactCheck.org: Does Obama chair a Senate subcommittee that oversees the war in Afghanistan?

"As subcommittee chairman, Obama could have held hearings pertaining to the role of NATO in the war in Afghanistan, but he has not."

The only meetings he has ever held is for helping appoint ambassadors

Yes, Obama has 8 years of political experience. But you are comparing 6 of those years a state senator and 2 years of a federal senator (and counting) when half of the time he has been campigning for president (and counting).

You are going to compare that shit to governor of Texas for 6 years like bush or governor of Cali for 8 like reagen?

You are an idiot.

I guess the people who voted for him to be the nominee think he has plenty of experience.

Just when I though tyou couldn't surpass the level of stupidity you obtained previously, you go ahead and do something like this.

Barack Obama's chairmanship of the Senate Subcommittee on European Affairs | Salon

Doubts about Barack Obama's presidential credentials have crystallized during the past two weeks over his stewardship of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Subcommittee on European Affairs, which has convened no policy hearings since he took over as its chairman last January.

FactCheck.org: Does Obama chair a Senate subcommittee that oversees the war in Afghanistan?

"As subcommittee chairman, Obama could have held hearings pertaining to the role of NATO in the war in Afghanistan, but he has not."

The only meetings he has ever held is for helping appoint ambassadors

Yes, Obama has 8 years of political experience. But you are comparing 6 of those years a state senator and 2 years of a federal senator (and counting) when half of the time he has been campigning for president (and counting).

You are going to compare that shit to governor of Texas for 6 years like bush or governor of Cali for 8 like reagen?

You are an idiot.

I always love a post that ends with "You are an idiot."

Obama majored in political science and international relations at Columbia. As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, he has been getting top secret CIA briefings for years. During his world tour last summer, Obama met with most of the leaders of the Middle East and Europe. Obama is smart, charismatic, and well spoken. What a change that he be from the baffoon we have had in the White House the last eight years.

Obama also presents a different American face to the world. A multi racial, multi cultural face.

I always love a post that ends with "You are an idiot."

Obama majored in political science and international relations at Columbia. As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, he has been getting top secret CIA briefings for years. During his world tour last summer, Obama met with most of the leaders of the Middle East and Europe. Obama is smart, charismatic, and well spoken. What a change that he be from the baffoon we have had in the White House the last eight years.

Obama also presents a different American face to the world. A multi racial, multi cultural face.

lol, ok my friend went to princeton and is majoring in political science...I guess he should be the next president.

Please show me as to where you get your information on Obama getting years of CIA briefings, i would be interested in reading it

Please give generously to ABM and pray for him at least 5 times a day. You will be richly rewarded.

Is Barrack ABM the Messiah?

The last time I checked the position of Messiah has already been filled and it is NOT OBAMA . That would be Jesus Christ. Anyone who considered Obama the messiah needs to get their head examined.

Instead of praying for Obama everyday you need to pray the God will give you his wisdom so you will know who the Messiah really is.

Yes I will say it now I am a Jesus freak and proud of it.

lol, ok my friend went to princeton and is majoring in political science...I guess he should be the next president.

Please show me as to where you get your information on Obama getting years of CIA briefings, i would be interested in reading it

why are you so dismissive Andrew? you discount all the other things that combine with Obama's educational background. It's really disturbing how unable or unwilling some of the Repub/Cons are to admit that Obama's experience isn't an issue considering the historical facts of past presidents on this country.

The fact that Obama has sat on the Foreign Relations Committee would indicate that he is privy to CIA briefings considering they oversee all foreign policy issues

U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations

Our committee is one of the oldest in the Senate, dating back
to the initial creation of permanent Senate committees in 1816. It
plays a vital role in shaping U.S. policy around the world. The
committee has oversight over the foreign policy agencies of the U.S.
government, including the State Department, the U.S. Agency for
International Development, the Millennium Challenge Corporation,
and the Peace Corps. The Committee reviews and considers all
diplomatic nominations and international treaties, as well as legislation
relating to U.S. foreign policy.

They do that blindly ya know.

He also sits on the Committee Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs so it would stand to reason he also gets CIA/FBI briefings from them regarding our national security.

Not to mention he sits on two other committees as well.. Veterans Affairs and Health, Education, labor and Pensions.

I love how they laud McCain for experience and then call him a Maverick.

Palin has Mavericky experience too.

Obama has worked with all levels of government from the street level ,state and national.

He has all the experience anyone needs to understand how the American governmetn works and is not beholden to the power structure in this coutnry like McCain.

It the main reason why I rejected Hillary from the start. She is part of the problem.

McCain is part of the problem.

Obama has seen just enough to know how to change this country but not enough to get sucked in.

Obama is the ONLY wise choice if you wnat this country to change.

Change huh is that why Obama has NEVER went against his own party? Is that why Obama picked a good ole boy as his running mate? Yeah he has shown me just how serious he is about change. Obama does not even have the guts to go against his own party give me a break His record proves it.

Obama can talk it but his walk does not SHOW it. I am capable of making all kinds of promises and never have the intention of doing them and that is exactly what Obama is doing.

McCain on the other hand HAS stood up to his own party. McCain's record SHOWS it. McCain is not just flapping his lips together he has proof of his words Obama does not.

McCain picked a total outsider for his running mate somebody not in the Washington loop. That is showing oh I don't know CHANGE. Again and again McCain is SHOWING us change. Obama has shown me he can run his mouth and he is pretty not what I am looking for in a president. Sure he LOOKS presidential but he cannot walk it and he will not. Obama is a good orator whoppee does not make a president.

I hope America will wake up on election day and rise to the occasion and pick the most qualified the one who goes against the party's the one who has showed us change by picking not a good ole boy but a outsider to bring into the fold to shake up Washington that man is JOHN MCCAIN. America get it right.

Forum List

Back