Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Oh, so the problem is that the economy is just fine, but that businesses just won't hire anyone? The scary part is that he actually thinks that's how it is.
News Headlines
President Obama urged businesses to "step up" and hire workers, pressing banks and other corporations to do more to help an economy that he said would take "several years" to recover fully.
"We've got a lot more work to do to get businesses to invest and to hire," he told the audience in remarks broadcast on Thursday.
"It is time for companies to step up," Obama said.
He also had a "new" idea to help home owners:
Obama said his administration was looking at ways to extend programs to help people struggling with mortgage payments on houses that had lost much of their value. "We're going to continue to work with Congress to see if we can propose more legislation to encourage longer loan modifications," he said. "We are trying to expand the loan modification program to reach more people."
I seem to recall this was tried already and only 8,00 people got their loans modified. Excuse me, it was only 1,000:
Obama Administration To Admit Failure Of Mortgage Modification Program

If those without jobs would become self-employed it would also solve the problem.[/QUOTBut they wouldn't have to got through all that throuble if businesses would just hire them. Good thing Obama brought this to their attention. If businesses just start hiring people, this recession will be over!

Yup, it's all the fault of those bastard business owners. Fuckers just won't hire people when I tell 'em to, they insist on stupid shit like more demand.

Oh, so the problem is that the economy is just fine, but that businesses just won't hire anyone...
President Obama urged businesses to "step up" and hire workers, pressing banks and other corporations to do more to help... ..."We're going to continue to work with Congress to see if we can propose more legislation...

Translation: "Either start hiring or we'll pass even more laws against you."

Reminds me of an old office joke: "NOTICE: THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES"

Last edited:
Maybe if his government didnt have so many regulations, reporting requirements and tax by death people would hire. Your economy is fucked!

Oh, so the problem is that the economy is just fine, but that businesses just won't hire anyone? The scary part is that he actually thinks that's how it is.
News Headlines
President Obama urged businesses to "step up" and hire workers, pressing banks and other corporations to do more to help an economy that he said would take "several years" to recover fully.
"We've got a lot more work to do to get businesses to invest and to hire," he told the audience in remarks broadcast on Thursday.
Obama said his administration was looking at ways to extend programs to help people struggling with mortgage payments on houses that had lost much of their value. "We're going to continue to work with Congress to see if we can propose more legislation to encourage longer loan modifications," he said. "We are trying to expand the loan modification program to reach more people."
I seem to recall this was tried already and only 8,00 people got their loans modified. Excuse me, it was only 1,000:

I am so glad that Obama is president. No one else could possibly have thought of these things. We should all bow down and worship him.

Now I understand why rdean says things like that, it is actually enjoyable to lie so outrageously.

One of the most successful industries today is oil and gas.
One of the most governmentally threatened industries today is oil and gas.

Just don't hire too many people, you may be painting a target on yourself.

I guess he's just trying to paint himself as the good guy. See, those nasty companies have money but they wont hire anyone because....uh, they're nasty BIG companies.
Does anyone fall for that shit?

Is this an offer?

Federal government is nation’s largest employer; average pay is…
June 25, 2010 in General Comments | Tags: average federal pay, federal government employment, federal government largest employer

According to the Career Guide to Industries, 2010-2011 edition, Web page of the United States Office Bureau of Labor Statistics Web site, the United States government, which employs approximately 2 million civilians (not including intelligence agencies), is the nation’s largest employer. Average earnings for full-time federal workers in March 2009 were $74,403. The highest average for a specific job was $128,422 for General Attorney, while the lowest average for a specific job was Nursing Assistant at $34,728. The number of federal employees is predicted to increase by 10 percent during the period 2008 – 2018.

Federal government is nation’s largest employer; average pay is… « Phil Hardwick – From the Ground Up

Is this an offer?

June 25, 2010 in General Comments | Tags: average federal pay, federal government employment, federal government largest employer

According to the Career Guide to Industries, 2010-2011 edition, Web page of the United States Office Bureau of Labor Statistics Web site, the United States government, which employs approximately 2 million civilians (not including intelligence agencies), is the nation’s largest employer. Average earnings for full-time federal workers in March 2009 were $74,403. The highest average for a specific job was $128,422 for General Attorney, while the lowest average for a specific job was Nursing Assistant at $34,728. The number of federal employees is predicted to increase by 10 percent during the period 2008 – 2018.

Federal government is nation’s largest employer; average pay is… « Phil Hardwick – From the Ground Up

Yeah - the Federal Government IS the largest employer. You are correct. Now, can you tell us what they produce that benefits us?

Thanks.

Is this an offer?

Yeah - the Federal Government IS the largest employer. You are correct. Now, can you tell us what they produce that benefits us?

Thanks.

The government produces rulers & regulators who levy fines & collect taxes on people who compete against their friends. Their taxpayer backed guaranteed pensions, benefits & salaries rival the private sector by double. The US Government is the largest employer at 2 million. US Government pensioners are the worlds largest blood suckers. Funding their pensions & insurance benefits will break the USA & most of the planet because they hold & have invested in US dollars as the worlds reserve currency. Compare them to the worlds largest private employer WalMart. WalMart employs 1.8 million people & it's pensioners will not break the USA. WalMart provides us all valuable services.

Last edited:
News Headlines

The time to have helped the homeowners was BEFORE they handed out TARP money with no strings attached.

If TARP doesn't alert ya'll to the SCAM that our government is, (regardless of party) nothing will.

News Headlines

Ugh I wish we had a leader and not a dictator.........well ok he can't do what dictators do but he sounds like he wishes he could with those type of statements.

Seriously maybe he should look at why companies aren't hiring instead of the fact that they aren't hiring. Fix the why and they will hire again.........i have solutions if you want to email me obama, lol.

Oh, so the problem is that the economy is just fine, but that businesses just won't hire anyone? The scary part is that he actually thinks that's how it is

U.S. companies are sitting on two trillion dollars of our tax cuts which were intended, at least according to rightwngnuts, to trickle down from the "job creators".

that money, less operating reserves and business expansion costs, should go to hiring. so i'd modify the president's comments to that extent, but as politifact says:

Still, no matter how you slice the data, the Federal Reserve statistics show that companies are holding on to much more cash and liquid assets than they have in years past, so Obama's broader point is valid. It was also presented in general enough terms -- "$2 trillion sitting on their balance sheets" -- that it is defensible as an accurate figure. But to the extent Obama's statement implies companies could readily invest that entire amount of money, it is misleading. Less the amount needed to meet regular business expenses, the amount on the balance sheet that could be used to invest in business expansion (including hiring new workers) is actually much smaller. And so we knock Obama's statement down a notch to Mostly True.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...says-companies-have-nearly-2-trillion-sittin/

Forum List

Back