Obama tanks the UN arms trade treaty

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Obama has effectively scuttled the UN arms trade treaty.

The United Nations indefinitely suspended action on an international arms trade treaty Friday after the United States and several other countries asked for more time.
The decision sparked angry reactions from human rights groups often allied with the Obama administration, who believed a treaty to regulate the export of deadly weapons to rogue regimes was within reach. The UN had spent the entire month of July hammering out a deal, and Friday was the deadline for an agreement on a treaty that has met with the staunch opposition of the National Rifle Association and bipartisan concerns in the Senate.

“This was stunning cowardice by the Obama administration, which at the last minute did an about-face and scuttled progress toward a global arms treaty, just as it reached the finish line,” said Suzanne Nossel, the executive director of Amnesty International USA. “It’s a staggering abdication of leadership by the world’s largest exporter of conventional weapons to pull the plug on the talks just as they were nearing an historic breakthrough that would have required all nations to deny arms export licenses where there was an overriding risk that the weapons would be used to facilitate serious crimes against humanity.”And Scott Stedjan, Oxfam America’s senior policy advisor, called the failure “a tremendous loss for thousands of innocent civilians around the globe who die each year from armed violence fueled by the unregulated transfer of arms.”

Obama blamed for failure of international arms-trade treaty - The Hill's Global Affairs

Gee, I wonder why he did changed his mind. Could it possibly be because there are less than 100 days until the 6th of November?

It looks like I was right a few days ago when I said this.

Obama plans on signing a small arms treaty with NATO.

that will undo all the good he's done.

First, he has not done any good.

Second, he is not dumb enough to sign a treaty that has no advantages for the US in an election year.

I wanted him to tank the arms treaty? Why? Where did I say that? Go find the post, I will wait.

Aww, now we're being disingenuous.

You like the treaty?

I am not being disingenuous, I am challenging you to show where I said I do not like the treaty. Either show me, or admit you are lying. Your choice.

What you're really doing is latching on to my assuming you don't like the treaty, because I'd bet money that you don't, since my first post justifiably mocked the threads validity.

You disingenuous clown. :thup:

Aww, now we're being disingenuous.

You like the treaty?

I am not being disingenuous, I am challenging you to show where I said I do not like the treaty. Either show me, or admit you are lying. Your choice.

What you're really doing is latching on to my assuming you don't like the treaty, because I'd bet money that you don't, since my first post justifiably mocked the threads validity.

You disingenuous clown. :thup:

You made it personal, and I slapped back. Stop crying.

Who's crying? Not me.

You've been ducking your own op since I gave you a weak out. :thup:

Why do I have to duck my OP? I publicly predicted he wouldn't sign the treaty five days ago, I was right. I am gloating, not acting like I don't understand something. You are just upset I actually got something right, and that I proved you are a liar.

Who's crying? Not me.

You've been ducking your own op since I gave you a weak out. :thup:

Why do I have to duck my OP? I publicly predicted he wouldn't sign the treaty five days ago, I was right. I am gloating, not acting like I don't understand something. You are just upset I actually got something right, and that I proved you are a liar.

:clap2:

You got something right, congratufuckinglations.

goldstar.jpg

Forum List

Back