Obama takes partisanship to new levels

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
I was half-listening to one of the Sunday morning news shows when I heard a panelist point out that Obama had taken a swipe at Romney at the National Prayer Breakfast. She said that was not done. That it was a new thing for a president to use that platform against a political opponent in that way.

I'm not familiar with the National Prayer Breakfast in general so I have to take her word for it.

She mentioned it as something which had mostly gone under the radar.

Obviously a lot of people are talking about the comments and how Obama linked religion to his policies. But not so much about the anti-Romney campaigning aspect of it. Well, not that I noticed.

Googling shows me that it was noticed by some.

President Obama hits Mitt Romney with subliminal messaging attack - TheHill.com

Apparently it has already been addressed by Jay Carney - who denied it was a response to Romney - but ... :dunno:

Last edited:
I haven't heard about that, but I'm prepared for this to be a very nasty campaign btwn the candidates, as well as the opposing sides.

A day after Romney commented that he was “not concerned about the very poor,” Obama used his speech at the National Prayer Breakfast to call for society to help the poor and needy, implicitly reminding the world of Romney’s gaffe.

I suppose that's subliminal messaging, if "we ought to help the poor" triggers thoughts of "boy, that Mitt Romney sure is an asshole" in the average voter's mind. Which is conceivable.

• Banned
I'm not familiar with the National Prayer Breakfast in general so I have to take her word for it.

Or, you could look it up for yourself and decide for yourself. That's allowed you know.

I'm just fine with taking her word on this. I wouldn't know where to find past National Prayer Breakfast addresses to compare to Obama's remarks.

I think the panelist I was listening to was Andrea Mitchell but I edited that out of my OP until I can confirm.

I perked up when I heard her say that because she is not a rightwing pot stirrer. If she considered Obama's partisanship worth note, then that was worth note in itself.

A day after Romney commented that he was “not concerned about the very poor,” Obama used his speech at the National Prayer Breakfast to call for society to help the poor and needy, implicitly reminding the world of Romney’s gaffe.
I suppose that's subliminal messaging, if "we ought to help the poor" triggers thoughts of "boy, that Mitt Romney sure is an asshole" in the average voter's mind. Which is conceivable.

:cool:

Or, you could look it up for yourself and decide for yourself. That's allowed you know.

I'm just fine with taking her word on this. I wouldn't know where to find past National Prayer Breakfast addresses to compare to Obama's remarks.

I think the panelist I was listening to was Andrea Mitchell but I edited that out of my OP until I can confirm.

I perked up when I heard her say that because she is not a rightwing pot stirrer. If she considered Obama's partisanship worth note, then that was worth note in itself.

So, you're not sure who it was who said it and you admit you were only half listening in the first place. But once someone mentioned an opinion that Obama might have been partisan, you perked up, took the panelist word for it on the spot and never looked at previous speeches to compare.

Well, that's enlightening.

:cool:

You too, huh? :lol:

I haven't heard about that, but I'm prepared for this to be a very nasty campaign btwn the candidates, as well as the opposing sides.

I hope it does get nasty... real nasty... and republicans take off the gloves. Take Allen West's advice... "no more conservative punching bags."

So, you're not sure who it was who said it and you admit you were only half listening in the first place. But once someone mentioned an opinion that Obama might have been partisan, you perked up, took the panelist word for it on the spot and never looked at previous speeches to compare.

Well, that's enlightening.

No, I don't need to be an expert in every field. Andrea Mitchell knows way more about past presidential speeches than I.

I was pretty sure it was Andrea Mitchell in the "tell me something I don't know" segment of the Chris Matthews Show. I second guessed myself when I tried to find the transcript and the Chris Matthews Show homepage had last week's guests up as "This Week's Guests".

I am again pretty sure it is Andrea Mitchell. And THAT is why it caught my ear.

Many rightwingers consider her to be part of the liberal wing of the media. She is at best neutral. In no way is she a rightwing conspiracist. When the partisanship becomes so obvious that someone like Andrea Mitchell is willing to recognize it, then that is significant.

So again - the fact that EVEN Andrea Mitchell recognizes Obama's unusual partisan activity is notable in and of itself.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back