Obama stimulus added jobs and boosted economy

Wow.
Just wow.

ANd I thought I was the only one who saw it that way.

TARP...a Bush idea...well...enodrsed by Bush....and then doubled down by Obama saved the banks from themselves. At the cost of tax payer money and at the cost of honest bankers who could not compete with the unscrupulous during the re-fi boom.

Recall that the projected failure of the banking system (which was well underway, btw) would have caused the entire economy to seize up.
I was in favor of the initial TARP, aimed at backstopping the banks to restore confidence. I was opposed to the indiscriminate extensions of TARP (under Bush and Obama) to every sector of the economy.

There is a big differernce between the failure of some major banks and the failure of the banking system.

When a bank fails, the money does not vanish. I believe people actually think it does.

If I lend you 300K and you spend it and then you default on your debt to me.....I lose the 300k,...yes.....but that 300k is still in the economy as you spent it elsewhere.

If I lend you 300K and your house is worth 400K and it is collateral. And then your house goes down in value and worth only 200K and you default....yes, I lose 100K on paper...but that money is still in the economy as you spent it elsewhere.

There was no imminent failure of the banking system. There was the likely failure of the major banks.

There were plenty of smaller institutions ready willing and able to pick up the slack.
Actually it does vanish. If I show a balance sheet with a $200,000 house and $100,000 mortgage then my net worth is 100k. I can borrow against that. I can sell the asset. If the value falls to 100k then I don't have that. This is the entire basis of this recession, a balance sheet meltdown.
There was indeed an imminent failure. Banks were refusing to lend to each other overnight. That is a sign the system is seizing up.

Recall that the projected failure of the banking system (which was well underway, btw) would have caused the entire economy to seize up.
I was in favor of the initial TARP, aimed at backstopping the banks to restore confidence. I was opposed to the indiscriminate extensions of TARP (under Bush and Obama) to every sector of the economy.

There is a big differernce between the failure of some major banks and the failure of the banking system.

When a bank fails, the money does not vanish. I believe people actually think it does.

If I lend you 300K and you spend it and then you default on your debt to me.....I lose the 300k,...yes.....but that 300k is still in the economy as you spent it elsewhere.

If I lend you 300K and your house is worth 400K and it is collateral. And then your house goes down in value and worth only 200K and you default....yes, I lose 100K on paper...but that money is still in the economy as you spent it elsewhere.

There was no imminent failure of the banking system. There was the likely failure of the major banks.

There were plenty of smaller institutions ready willing and able to pick up the slack.
Actually it does vanish. If I show a balance sheet with a $200,000 house and $100,000 mortgage then my net worth is 100k. I can borrow against that. I can sell the asset. If the value falls to 100k then I don't have that. This is the entire basis of this recession, a balance sheet meltdown.
There was indeed an imminent failure. Banks were refusing to lend to each other overnight. That is a sign the system is seizing up.

Read what you wrote. That is my point. You are confused on this topic. Not your fault. Both parties confused the heck out of the people in an effort to make the other look foolish.

If the value falls, you can no longer borrow against it. You seemed to have skipped that part. If you borrowed against it when the value was higher, and then it falls, YES, the bank loses the money and it was a foolish loan to make. BUT....you spent the money elsewhere. IT IS STILL IN THE ECONOMY.

And as for the lending fallacy....

I have an 805 credit rating. My company had a nice line of credit with BoA. I used it primarily for bridge loans for payroll when cash flow was askew.

In December of 2008, BoA put a hold on my line. No explanation....just a "temporary hold".

SO I went to a small local institution and sure enough, no problem....100K credit line for starters and a review after 1 month...now I have 1/2 million line with them...and BoA lost my business. New bank has my operating account, payroll account and all of my personal accounts.

BoA can go out of business for all I care. They made some stupid decisions and try to make iut my problem. I wouldnt let them.

Very good description of the problem. Now I submit that those prices when the house was 200,000 were artificially inflated. The houses true value is closer to 100k or closer to what the prices are at today, and the all knowing wise ones in DC want to re-inflate the artificial prices to save some peoples retirements.

Is that not basically what they are trying to do. Re inflate a bubble that will just burst again.

Read what you wrote. That is my point. You are confused on this topic. Not your fault. Both parties confused the heck out of the people in an effort to make the other look foolish.

If the value falls, you can no longer borrow against it. You seemed to have skipped that part. If you borrowed against it when the value was higher, and then it falls, YES, the bank loses the money and it was a foolish loan to make. BUT....you spent the money elsewhere. IT IS STILL IN THE ECONOMY.

I have an 805 credit rating. My company had a nice line of credit with BoA. I used it primarily for bridge loans for payroll when cash flow was askew.

In December of 2008, BoA put a hold on my line. No explanation....just a "temporary hold".

SO I went to a small local institution and sure enough, no problem....100K credit line for starters and a review after 1 month...now I have 1/2 million line with them...and BoA lost my business. New bank has my operating account, payroll account and all of my personal accounts.

BoA can go out of business for all I care. They made some stupid decisions and try to make iut my problem. I wouldnt let them.

You still don't get it.
If your loan goes bad, the bank has to schedule that loan against reserves. That leaves less money available for lending, thus less for spending.
You ought to review the fractional reserve system concept for this to be clear.
Your personal story of experiences with BoA is irrelevant here.

***NO JOBS HAVE BEEN ADDED***

Workforce Since Obama became President

fredgraph.png

Workforce Since Democrats took over Congress

fredgraph.png

You still don't get it.
If your loan goes bad, the bank has to schedule that loan against reserves. That leaves less money available for lending, thus less for spending.

As I see it, you are just repeating the rhetoric.
If my loan goes bad, that bank loses and yes, iut has less to lend.
But you already spent the money and that money is now with other banks and those banks have it to lend.
The money does not vanish. That was the fallacy. It simply hurts the lending integrity of that one institution. Thier balance sheet is now off as you pointed out in an earlier post. Their assets do not match up to their outlay. Such is the consequence of not thinking ahead and participating in bad lending practices.
But the money is still in the economy and it is available somewhere. And on the most poart, people still deposit...it is with another mledning institution.

My BoA experience is very relevant. I am one who was not hurt by the equivalent of BoA going out of business. If they did or did not, I was still able to borrow.

You rightwing monkeys are retarded, after having 8 years of a incompetent president that you elected twice you expect Obama to have absolute 100% overnight success is less that two years on the job, pathetic. What you dumb monkeys fail to realize is that his stimulus package wasn't about just spending, it also included tax cuts.

Your flag says pretty much all we need to know about a piece of shit loser like you.

You still don't get it.

As I see it, you are just repeating the rhetoric.
If my loan goes bad, that bank loses and yes, iut has less to lend.
But you already spent the money and that money is now with other banks and those banks have it to lend.
The money does not vanish. That was the fallacy. It simply hurts the lending integrity of that one institution. Thier balance sheet is now off as you pointed out in an earlier post. Their assets do not match up to their outlay. Such is the consequence of not thinking ahead and participating in bad lending practices.
But the money is still in the economy and it is available somewhere. And on the most poart, people still deposit...it is with another mledning institution.

My BoA experience is very relevant. I am one who was not hurt by the equivalent of BoA going out of business. If they did or did not, I was still able to borrow.

"I dont know what all this talk about declining purchasing power is about. I checked my bank balance this morning and it was exactly the same." -Wally.
Thanks. I see further discussion is pointless.

***NO JOBS HAVE BEEN ADDED***

Workforce Since Obama became President

fredgraph.png

Workforce Since Democrats took over Congress

fredgraph.png

why would you use the employment to population ratio instead of, say, monthly jobs created from the establishment survey? methinks you don't understand the charts you posted, or you were attempting to get away with something.

The ratio gives a better picture of overall employment. As people drop out of the workforce they aren't necessarily counted. In fact workforce participation has been dropping, not improving. Taking away gov't jobs and stimulus boondoggles there has been little, if any, net job creation.
Germany, by contrast, has largely grown back all the jobs it lost during the same period.

You rightwing monkeys are retarded, after having 8 years of a incompetent president that you elected twice you expect Obama to have absolute 100% overnight success is less that two years on the job, pathetic. What you dumb monkeys fail to realize is that his stimulus package wasn't about just spending, it also included tax cuts.

Your flag says pretty much all we need to know about a piece of shit loser like you.

My flag is the African-American flag, one of several types of flags for and by African Americans, dumb ape.

The ratio gives a better picture of overall employment.

No it doesn't. the total number of people employed is the figure that matters.

As people drop out of the workforce they aren't necessarily counted.

Why should we "count" retirees, college students, stay at home moms and people who don't care to look for work?

Germany, by contrast, has largely grown back all the jobs it lost during the same period.
Germany had a deeper recession than the US and is still well behind their peak GDP.

Business & Financial News, Breaking US & International News | Reuters.com

Will the RW monkeys give the president some credit or will they deny it and give credit to some unnamed Republican?

:lol::lol: The very last line of your article states this:

CBO said it expects the effects of the stimulus to gradually diminish over the remainder of the year.---:cuckoo:

Personally--I don't remember ever even getting a little "pop" with all this stimulus money. Did unemployment in this country really ever go DOWN? NOPE. It has remained at 9.5% some states even higher than that.

So if you're trying to "bragg" about over 1 TRILLION borrowed tax dollars that we all get to pay back--I would sure like to know exactly how all this money has affected my small business--besides putting this country onto a track of bankrupsty. I sure didn't feel a thing.

And while you like to post these "glowing" reports about the economy--maybe you should read this one.

U.S. economic double-dip is coming - CSMonitor.com

You liberals voted for it--you got it--and now you OWN it.

Welcome to Obama's flood the basement economic policies.

Last edited:
The Dems are all about glowing reports about this administration.Anything negative it's Bush's fault.Any
positive reports and I wonder what those could be are Obama's glorious wonderous achievement worthy
of sealing in a time capsule for generations of Dems of the future.

The Democrats are patting themselves on the back,for what exactly?

That it could be worse. This seems to be the thrust of their entire argument. The Dems are great because even though the economy sucks big donkey dick, it could be worse.

The ratio gives a better picture of overall employment.

No it doesn't. the total number of people employed is the figure that matters.

As people drop out of the workforce they aren't necessarily counted.

Why should we "count" retirees, college students, stay at home moms and people who don't care to look for work?

Germany had a deeper recession than the US and is still well behind their peak GDP.

The total number of people employed is not as important as workforce participation. It is important to you because it bolsters your argument. But that doesn't really matter much.
People who were in the work force and now have given up represent a huge loss in productivity.
Germany's economy is about back to pre-recession levels. And growth levels are far in excess of ours.
Lessons from Germany?s Economic Recovery | e21 - Economic Policies for the 21st Century

Forum List

Back