Obama starts attacking ISIS inside Syria in the next couple of weeks

Why does anyone think Obama would order attacks on ISIS inside Syria? If he does he ends up helping Assad the same man he said had to go of course if he does nothing he risk ISIS taking over Syria my guess is he will do nothing and hope somehow it all works it's self out.

Why does anyone think Obama would order attacks on ISIS inside Syria? If he does he ends up helping Assad the same man he said had to go of course if he does nothing he risk ISIS taking over Syria my guess is he will do nothing and hope somehow it all works it's self out.

I would prefer a know nothing do nothing

Never do what your enemy wants you to do! ISIS wants US troops on the ground.

Why give them that opportunity when they can be taken out with air power? Airstrikes can effectively cripple ISIS.

Furthermore there are plenty of people in the region who have no desire to be oppressed by ISIS. Let them do the fighting for a change.

Why give them that opportunity when they can be taken out with air power? Airstrikes can effectively cripple ISIS.

Furthermore there are plenty of people in the region who have no desire to be oppressed by ISIS. Let them do the fighting for a change.
I agree the people in the region need to do more of the heavy lifting lets be honest though there is a limit to what airstrikes can do you can hurt them with airstrikes but air power alone won't defeat them, Israel has been using air power to damage and cripple Hamas for years but that has not defeated them the main reason being Hamas hides among the civilian population it's likely ISIS would use the same tactic.

I agree the people in the region need to do more of the heavy lifting lets be honest though there is a limit to what airstrikes can do you can hurt them with airstrikes but air power alone won't defeat them, Israel has been using air power to damage and cripple Hamas for years but that has not defeated them the main reason being Hamas hides among the civilian population it's likely ISIS would use the same tactic.

That was only because Hamas had a sympathetic civilian population. Given the extremism of ISIS there aren't going to be that many places where they are going to be sheltered.

But you are correct that air power won't eliminate ISIS. That will be up to those who live in the region. If they don't have the will power then ISIS will take it over.

But there is a huge difference between being a rebel insurgency and holding and oppressing a large area. For that ISIS will need a lot more manpower. Yes, if they are successful they will have more recruits but nations like Turkey, Jordan and Saudi Arabia don't want an extremist government in the region.

That was only because Hamas had a sympathetic civilian population. Given the extremism of ISIS there aren't going to be that many places where they are going to be sheltered.

But you are correct that air power won't eliminate ISIS. That will be up to those who live in the region. If they don't have the will power then ISIS will take it over.

But there is a huge difference between being a rebel insurgency and holding and oppressing a large area. For that ISIS will need a lot more manpower. Yes, if they are successful they will have more recruits but nations like Turkey, Jordan and Saudi Arabia don't want an extremist government in the region.
Because ISIS is so extreme I suspect they can get shelter among civilian populations because they will fear what ISIS will do if they refuse them. What these countries want in the region and what they will do to stop it are very different things which creates our current problem these countries generally won't join the fight unless the U.S. is leading it and right now the U.S. has no real interest in leading a fight against ISIS everyone knows what needs to be done but no one wants to stand up and take the lead.

Our allies would be?????????

No one is stupid enough to actually form an alliance with the United States. We might drop a few bombs for them. They in turn would watch while Americans get beheaded. America is treacherous. America betrays anyone stupid enough to call us friend.
So...when are you leaving?
I'm here for the subversion.
You're here because you're an American. Start acting like one.

Because ISIS is so extreme I suspect they can get shelter among civilian populations because they will fear what ISIS will do if they refuse them. What these countries want in the region and what they will do to stop it are very different things which creates our current problem these countries generally won't join the fight unless the U.S. is leading it and right now the U.S. has no real interest in leading a fight against ISIS everyone knows what needs to be done but no one wants to stand up and take the lead.

You are forgetting the Arab Spring and what has happened in Egypt and Syria. The internet is changing the ME. The people are no longer willing to be oppressed by regressive fundamentalists.

What's your reaction?

I think he has painted himself into a position where he has no choice but to attack regardless of his personal desire not too.
His "personal desire"?

Who the fuck has a personal desire to kill people?

President Obama wanted to do the needful some time ago, and congress asked forcefully that he's needs them to authorize it.

Where were they?

Where are they now?

You are forgetting the Arab Spring and what has happened in Egypt and Syria. The internet is changing the ME. The people are no longer willing to be oppressed by regressive fundamentalists.
Yes but Egypt is pretty much under military rule as it was with Mubarak though that does seem to be slowly changing Syria is controlled by Assad and ISIS that's about as oppressive as it gets.

Yes but Egypt is pretty much under military rule as it was with Mubarak though that does seem to be slowly changing Syria is controlled by Assad and ISIS that's about as oppressive as it gets.

The struggle has only just started. The mere fact that there are uprisings is what matters. There are plenty of Syrians, Kurds and Iraqi's who have no desire to live under an oppressive theocratic regime of any sort. The ME is undergoing a struggle between those who have held power in the past and those who want a different future for themselves and their children. Ultimately they will prevail because that is the trend of humanity across the ages. It doesn't happen overnight. What matters is whose side we are on.

The struggle has only just started. The mere fact that there are uprisings is what matters. There are plenty of Syrians, Kurds and Iraqi's who have no desire to live under an oppressive theocratic regime of any sort. The ME is undergoing a struggle between those who have held power in the past and those who want a different future for themselves and their children. Ultimately they will prevail because that is the trend of humanity across the ages. It doesn't happen overnight. What matters is whose side we are on.
Wow...I like eloquent bullshit.

The Middle East is rife with examples of freedom and democracy.

That struggle has been going on for thousands of years and the oppressors always seem to win maybe this will be different but I wouldn't bet the farm on it, Right now we don't seem to be on anyone's side we are just waiting to see who comes out on top and will deal with them when the time comes.

That struggle has been going on for thousands of years and the oppressors always seem to win maybe this will be different but I wouldn't bet the farm on it, Right now we don't seem to be on anyone's side we are just waiting to see who comes out on top and will deal with them when the time comes.
That time appears to be 2017. Until then it's politics.

You are correct that in the past it has always been the oppressors. The same could be said of the west until just over 200 years ago. The overthrow of the eastern bloc dictators is barely 25 years ago. So while the struggles can last for centuries the ultimate result is always more freedom from oppressive regimes.

What makes the difference today is the widespread availability of information via the internet. Ordinary people can no longer be lied to by the oppressors if there is an alternative source that shows people living normal lives. During the early 1980's some friends of mine hosted a delegation of people from the former USSR. Two of them stayed in their home and they took them out to dinner. Only one of them spoke any English and the other appeared to be constantly complaining about everything. So they asked the English speaker what he was upset about and he responded by telling them that his companion was looking at stores and cars and restaurants and complaining that they didn't have those in the USSR. He said that the Americans weren't any better or smarter and they had all of these things so why couldn't they have them too.

That anecdote illustrates the problem facing the ME oppressors. People today are no longer forced to only get their news from state owned media. They can see that other people can and do have better lives elsewhere and they want the same for themselves. This is a tide of knowledge that cannot be turned back no matter how brutal the methods applied.

Forum List

Back