Obama Stands Up For Romney's Wife

I must admit - this is a good thing he has done. :clap2:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House — and President Barack Obama himself — rushed into a damage control campaign Thursday to blunt the impact of a Democratic consultant's suggestion that Ann Romney isn't qualified to discuss the economy because she "hasn't worked a day in her life."

"It was the wrong thing to say," Obama declared in an interview with WCMH-TV in Columbus, Ohio, standing up for Republican rival Mitt Romney's wife with Democrats suddenly on the defensive over women's issues for the first time this election year. Of the "ill-advised statement" by consultant Hilary Rosen, he added, "It's not something that I subscribe to."

Damage control. It was a planned attack that backfired on him.

Very interesting. Here's my take on it.

No, it's not damage control. The whole thing was a put-up. Obama got Rosen to come out with that remark, then after allowing the furor to build for a bit, he publicly repudiates what she said.

What's been accomplished:

1) Attention has been drawn to Romney's wealth, at a time when income inequality is a huge public issue;

2) Obama gets to shore up his feminist credentials; and

3) The Republicans, through the way that they responded to Rosen, demonstrated their lack of same.

It's a huge win for Obama, and everyone involved was manipulated splendidly (Rosen almost certainly with her knowledge and agreement).

:lol: They aren't that smart or calculating.

I'm not a Democrat, and I say this is a huge win for Obama. Here's why.

The traditional attitude about women, which is still current in the GOP core, is that being a stay at home mother is the ONLY proper role in life for a woman.

A caricature of feminism (not real feminism) is that being a stay at home mother is NOT a proper role in life for a woman. Rosen expressed this caricature, which is almost certainly not her real belief.

The response to the slur against Mrs. Romney has demonstrated the commitment by the Republican core to the traditional attitude about women, which is completely rejected by almost all women (married or single). This will hurt Republicans further with women.

At the same time, pointing up Romney's wealth, which is what allowed Mrs. Romney to be a stay at home mother (something most married women can't do today even if they want to), will hurt him with any constituency that has any chance of voting for Obama in the first place.

By taking the high ground and properly repudiating the slur on Mrs. Romney, Obama makes himself look good, while still gaining the benefits of all of the above. You right-wing folks need to remember that he doesn't give a damn how things affect YOUR attitudes towards him, since he knows you're not going to vote for him anyway.

Last edited:

The traditional attitude about women, which is still current in the GOP core, is that being a stay at home mother is the ONLY proper role in life for a woman.

A caricature of feminism (not real feminism) is that being a stay at home mother is NOT a proper role in life for a woman. Rosen expressed this caricature, which is almost certainly not her real belief.

The response to the slur against Mrs. Romney has demonstrated the commitment by the Republican core to the traditional attitude about women, which is completely rejected by almost all women (married or single). This will hurt Republicans further with women.

At the same time, pointing up Romney's wealth, which is what allowed Mrs. Romney to be a stay at home mother (something most married women can't do today even if they want to), will hurt him with any constituency that has any chance of voting for Obama in the first place.

By taking the high ground and properly repudiating the slur on Mrs. Romney, Obama makes himself look good, while still gaining the benefits of all of the above. You right-wing folks need to remember that he doesn't give a damn how things affect YOUR attitudes towards him, since he knows you're not going to vote for him anyway.

Wow

Maybe James Carville can call Ann Romney a "Fucking twat" next

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House — and President Barack Obama himself — rushed into a damage control campaign Thursday to blunt the impact of a Democratic consultant's suggestion that Ann Romney isn't qualified to discuss the economy because she "hasn't worked a day in her life."

"It was the wrong thing to say," Obama declared in an interview with WCMH-TV in Columbus, Ohio, standing up for Republican rival Mitt Romney's wife with Democrats suddenly on the defensive over women's issues for the first time this election year. Of the "ill-advised statement" by consultant Hilary Rosen, he added, "It's not something that I subscribe to."

Obama did the right thing for the wrong reasons. His "game on" backfired...

Rosen was forced to issue a non-apology apology as Democratic women tossed her under the bus (or at least shoved her temporarily to the back until things boil over).

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2871532/posts

Hilary B. Rosen [Rosen's middle name is Beth ] visited the WH 35 times and more than a few were with the president, himself, and here is a list of the times and dates.

Michelle Malkin » Here’s who Democrat hitwoman Hilary Rosen visited at the White House, including at least 5 POTUS meetings

LOL

Not a Democrat?

LOL

uh huh

Sureeeeeeeee

Wow

Isn't that McCain's department? Oh wait...that was "****". My bad.

When Romney picks Rubio maybe Begala can call him a "Fucking wetback **** beano" and Obama can appear to stand up for Hispanics?

Wow

Isn't that McCain's department? Oh wait...that was "****". My bad.

McCain called Ann Romney a ****?

Really?

Here is where the democrats screwed up BIG time. When Sarah Palin was governor, the democrats said that her family didn't mean much to her because she was a working mother. NOW they castigate Ann Romney for not working. In trying to have it both ways, the democrats end up with nothing.

I agree that what Obama said was correct about women.

I wonder how many other democrat operatives who have visited the white house dozens of times feel that women who stay home to raise a family are somehow less valuable than women who worked careers?

Here is where the democrats screwed up BIG time. When Sarah Palin was governor, the democrats said that her family didn't mean much to her because she was a working mother. NOW they castigate Ann Romney for not working. In trying to have it both ways, the democrats end up with nothing.

This is true and an excellent point.

Anytime Dems bring up their "war on women" talking point mantra Reps can now point to the comments about both Sarah Palin and Mrs. Romney to show their politicing and hypocricy on the issue.

I wonder how many other democrat operatives who have visited the white house dozens of times feel that women who stay home to raise a family are somehow less valuable than women who worked careers?

I doubt very much that Hilary Rosen feels that way. I think this entire business was a put-on orchestrated by the president.

Yeah, right. Obama is a great believer in keeping his opponents family off limits. That's why he had his henchmen file lawsuits to make Paul Ryan's divorce records public. That's why he sent his henchment to Alaska to drag Sarah Palin's daughter through the mud.

Obama is a sleazy lying scumbag. He pretends to be a gentlement while he has subordinates do his dirty work for him, and they perform the lowest, dirtiest tricks in the book

This is true and an excellent point.

Bah, no it isn't. You guys are looking at this from your side of the culture wars, and what you haven't figured out is that for Obama, your side of the culture wars simply doesn't matter. You aren't going to vote for him anyway. Making you more upset with him costs nothing, and he gains a lot from this whole thing, with people who might vote for him -- unlike yourselves.

Forum List

Back