Obama spending binge never happened

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Obama spending binge never happened

Government outlays rising at slowest pace since 1950s

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — Of all the falsehoods told about President Barack Obama, the biggest whopper is the one about his reckless spending spree.

As would-be president Mitt Romney tells it: “I will lead us out of this debt and spending inferno.”

Almost everyone believes that Obama has presided over a massive increase in federal spending, an “inferno” of spending that threatens our jobs, our businesses and our children’s future. Even Democrats seem to think it’s true.

But it didn’t happen. Although there was a big stimulus bill under Obama, federal spending is rising at the slowest pace since Dwight Eisenhower brought the Korean War to an end in the 1950s.

Even hapless Herbert Hoover managed to increase spending more than Obama has.

Here are the facts, according to the official government statistics:

• In the 2009 fiscal year — the last of George W. Bush’s presidency — federal spending rose by 17.9% from $2.98 trillion to $3.52 trillion. Check the official numbers at the Office of Management and Budget.

pixel.gif

• In fiscal 2010 — the first budget under Obama — spending fell 1.8% to $3.46 trillion.
• In fiscal 2011, spending rose 4.3% to $3.60 trillion.
• In fiscal 2012, spending is set to rise 0.7% to $3.63 trillion, according to the Congressional Budget Office’s estimate of the budget that was agreed to last August.
• Finally in fiscal 2013 — the final budget of Obama’s term — spending is scheduled to fall 1.3% to $3.58 trillion. Read the CBO’s latest budget outlook.

Over Obama’s four budget years, federal spending is on track to rise from $3.52 trillion to $3.58 trillion, an annualized increase of just 0.4%.
There has been no huge increase in spending under the current president, despite what you hear.

Why do people think Obama has spent like a drunken sailor? It’s in part because of a fundamental misunderstanding of the federal budget.

What people forget (or never knew) is that the first year of every presidential term starts with a budget approved by the previous administration and Congress. The president only begins to shape the budget in his second year. It takes time to develop a budget and steer it through Congress — especially in these days of congressional gridlock.

The 2009 fiscal year, which Republicans count as part of Obama’s legacy, began four months before Obama moved into the White House. The major spending decisions in the 2009 fiscal year were made by George W. Bush and the previous Congress.

Like a relief pitcher who comes into the game with the bases loaded, Obama came in with a budget in place that called for spending to increase by hundreds of billions of dollars in response to the worst economic and financial calamity in generations.

*snip*

Another lame wingnut talking point shot to hell! :lol:

Amazing, isn't it.

Want to hear the loyal rethug oppositions take on this info?

CBO??? Who believes that shit? YOU know they are in the bag for Obama.

And Bush Bush Bush. All you want to do is blame Bush.

Or......

Dwight D Eisenhower? He was a RINO. Dont you know a RINO when you see one?

or........

Ronnie Reagan increased spending and balanced the budget with huge tax cuts....yea that's what he did. He's my hero.

Or other such non sense and drivel provided by the right wing whack job population of this site. And I didn't get to call you a name yet.;

Funny if it wasn't so pitiful.

Amazing, isn't it.

Want to hear the loyal rethug oppositions take on this info?

CBO??? Who believes that shit? YOU know they are in the bag for Obama.

And Bush Bush Bush. All you want to do is blame Bush.

Or......

Dwight D Eisenhower? He was a RINO. Dont you know a RINO when you see one?

or........

Ronnie Reagan increased spending and balanced the budget with huge tax cuts....yea that's what he did. He's my hero.

Or other such non sense and drivel provided by the right wing whack job population of this site. And I didn't get to call you a name yet.;

Funny if it wasn't so pitiful

What's amazing is how stupid you are not to look at the post below your babbling. The exact bogus chart is there.

Last edited:
Of course it never happened. It's why not not one of them can explain where all the money that Obama supposedly spent. Not one of them. But Fox News tells them he spends wildly, so that's all they need to know.

Total dollar amount says the opposite of what you say.

Just like the bush tax cuts for the rich....the rich got the smallest percentage cut but we call them "tax cuts for the rich" because they got the largest dollar amount. You are doing the same thing with this number.

To those who have a basic understanding of math your thread is dishonest.

Clearly democrats believe or want to believe that obama's spending never happened. That means his policies cannot be fixed. Since he never spent our way into a 16 trillion dollar debt, he can continue "not spending" another 20 trillion dollars that won't happen either.

Total dollar amount says the opposite of what you say.

Just like the bush tax cuts for the rich....the rich got the smallest percentage cut but we call them "tax cuts for the rich" because they got the largest dollar amount. You are doing the same thing with this number.

To those who have a basic understanding of math your thread is dishonest.

"Suppose that every day 10 men go to a restaurant for dinner. The bill for all ten comes to $100. If it was paid the way we pay our taxes, the first four men would pay nothing; the fifth would pay $1; the sixth would pay $3; the seventh $7; the eighth $12; the ninth $18. The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59."

The 10 men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement until the owner threw them a curve. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20." Now dinner for the 10 only costs $80. The first four are unaffected. They still eat for free. Can you figure out how to divvy up the $20 savings among the remaining six so that everyone gets his fair share? The men realize that $20 divided by 6 is $3.33, but if they subtract that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would end up being paid to eat their meal.

The restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same percentage, being sure to give each a break, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay. And so now the fifth man paid nothing, the sixth pitched in $2, the seventh paid $5, the eighth paid $9, the ninth paid $12, leaving the tenth man with a bill of $52 instead of $59.

Outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got a dollar out of the $20," complained the sixth man, pointing to the tenth, "and he got $7!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got seven times more than me!"

"That's true," shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $7 back when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor."

Then, the nine men surrounded the tenth man (the richest one, paying the most) and beat him up. The next night the richest man didn't show up for dinner, so now the nine men sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They were $52 short!

"And that, boys, girls and college instructors, is how America's tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table any more. There are lots of good restaurants in Switzerland and the Caribbean."

LOL. :eusa_eh:

You just linked to this thread. Jesus christ you people are lazy, sloppy and have next to no honor. And you wonder why your party is in shambles.

Hey dumbficker. You can't copy it. Try it. Then you can apologize for your stupidity.

:confused:

I'm guessing you wear a name tag and paper hat at work, don't you. This whole "internet thing" is obviously a bit too tough for you.

LOL. :eusa_eh:

You just linked to this thread. Jesus christ you people are lazy, sloppy and have next to no honor. And you wonder why your party is in shambles.

Hey dumbficker. You can't copy it. Try it. Then you can apologize for your stupidity.

:confused:

I'm guessing you wear a name tag and paper hat at work, don't you. This whole "internet thing" is obviously a bit too tough for you.

I don't have to guess how stupid you are:

President Obama's Claim of Fiscal Acumen and Responsible Spending is Debunked and Disproved

Do you see how totally stupid you HAVE to be in order to be an Obama Supporter?

I hear ya. They're doing a circle jerk when I debunked it in the 2nd or 3rd post. :clap2::badgrin:

I see you finally fixed your original post to actually include the link.

So did you want to apologize now? Or are you going to do the standard move and call me a name and show us all how much honor and class you really have.

Forum List

Back