Obama Speech Review

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
Solid speech from the President. The first half was a bit of a ramble, with the applause responses more than a bit forced. He stumbled often, even looked a bit apprehensive. Pelosi looked absolutely moronic at times.

The last half delivery was far stronger for Obama, though once again, short on specifics and often contradicting political reality. But that has not caused him any undue difficulty to this point, and until more in the media hold him accountable, he has no reason to alter the contradictory nature of his oratory.

Jindal's response was awful. While the content was acceptable, the delivery was terrible, particular when contrast with Obama's strong second half delivery.

All in all, a solid showing for Obama, and a pathetic performance by Jindal. If he is to be a contender for consideration as a candidate for President in the 2012 race, he best get to work on improving his speechifying skills, because Good Lord, it was cringe-worthy tonight!

PS - Obama did not reach the level of "Reaganesque" tonight. He still lacks that sincerity that Reagan pulled off so easily - that quiet assurance and confidence that Reagan always maintained during his prepared speeches. Granted, Obama is far less experienced than was Reagan, but again, Obama leaves many with the sense that while the quality of words sounded great, there was so little real substance, and an underlying sense of performance.

While Reagan played Reagan, Obama still appears to be playing candidate - and that is a bit unsettling to more than few.

Solid speech from the President. The first half was a bit of a ramble, with the applause responses more than a bit forced. He stumbled often, even looked a bit apprehensive. Pelosi looked absolutely moronic at times.

The last half delivery was far stronger for Obama, though once again, short on specifics and often contradicting political reality. But that has not caused him any undue difficulty to this point, and until more in the media hold him accountable, he has no reason to alter the contradictory nature of his oratory.

Jindal's response was awful. While the content was acceptable, the delivery was terrible, particular when contrast with Obama's strong second half delivery.

All in all, a solid showing for Obama, and a pathetic performance by Jindal. If he is to be a contender for consideration as a candidate for President in the 2012 race, he best get to work on improving his speechifying skills, because Good Lord, it was cringe-worthy tonight!

PS - Obama did not reach the level of "Reaganesque" tonight. He still lacks that sincerity that Reagan pulled off so easily - that quiet assurance and confidence that Reagan always maintained during his prepared speeches. Granted, Obama is far less experienced than was Reagan, but again, Obama leaves many with the sense that while the quality of words sounded great, there was so little real substance, and an underlying sense of performance.

While Reagan played Reagan, Obama still appears to be playing candidate - and that is a bit unsettling to more than few.

Glad to see we can at least agree on Jindal.

I disagree however in using Reagan as the model for speechmaking. JFK and or even RFK still hold that title to me. Politicians on both side of the spectrum still invoke JFK and RFK's words to this day after more then 40 years which shows alot.

Last edited:
me and my buddy took a shot of southern comfort each time we heard deficit.

Its a good thing we came mid way through the speech or it may have been ugly

Obama's speech was just more soring rhetoric and campaign slogans, and fell predictably short on substance.

As much as I like Jindal, his response was lack luster.

Guess nobody else caught the "earmark free stimulus bill" comment from the President?

I believe he was referring specifically to an earmark free budget next year.

Definitely some slight of hand there, as his current proposed budget is said to have about 9000 earmarks in it!

That is astoundingly brazen for him to say such a thing - but again, I believe he continues to work under the impression that the media will not hold him to account for his words, and actual reality.

And sadly, up to this point, he is absolutely correct in that impression.

I enjoyed the part about "creating or saving 3.5 million jobs." Last week, wasn't it 4 million? By the end of the year, it will be "saving 1 job...my own."

I enjoyed the part about "creating or saving 3.5 million jobs." Last week, wasn't it 4 million? By the end of the year, it will be "saving 1 job...my own."

Wow. That is actually a very good catch-phrase for an upcoming election cycle.

The Republicans need to remember that one. Very pithy and effective - that is what would be regarded as "Reaganesque" -and that is very high praise in the political world.

My overall all impression was that this was a media orgy feeding on its unhealthy obsession with the President.

Sadly, that has been the case for the last year with this guy.

He is certainly getting a free ride of it for now.

Hopefully a more accurate accounting will take place, but don't count on it...

Guess nobody else caught the "earmark free stimulus bill" comment from the President?

Definitely some slight of hand there, as his current proposed budget is said to have about 9000 earmarks in it!

That is astoundingly brazen for him to say such a thing - but again, I believe he continues to work under the impression that the media will not hold him to account for his words, and actual reality.

Nope. Here is the direct quote. He was referring to the Porkulus piece of shit that just passed. Key part in bold.

I'm proud that we passed the recovery plan free of earmarks, and I want to pass a budget next year that ensures that each dollar we spend reflects only our most important national priorities.

Nope. Here is the direct quote. He was referring to the Porkulus piece of shit that just passed. Key part in bold.

I'm proud that we passed the recovery plan free of earmarks, and I want to pass a budget next year that ensures that each dollar we spend reflects only our most important national priorities.

Ah yes...well you see, he is still maintaining there were no direct earmarks in the stimulus bill. (I agree with you, about half the damn thing was one big fat earmark) and then he jumps to next year's budget of not having any earmarks because this year's has already been pegged to have over 9000 specific earmarks!

Anyone wish to call Obama a complete liar on this I would not argue against it.

The guy is running on the near-complete assurance he is at the moment politically bullet-proof.

And he may be right.

DITTO--Obama is no Ronald Reagan.

Jindal did give a pathetic performance--but I was so happy to hear him tell the American population that 60 billion of their hard earned dollars will be going for a train from Disneyland to Las Vegas. What a disaster! Kids are not welcome in Las Vegas--so I don't understand how the concept even came up. Parents visiting Disneyland with their kids aren't going to ride that train. So even the concept is a complete failure.

Last edited:

Ah yes...well you see, he is still maintaining there were no direct earmarks in the stimulus bill. (I agree with you, about half the damn thing was one big fat earmark) and then he jumps to next year's budget of not having any earmarks because this year's has already been pegged to have over 9000 specific earmarks!

Anyone wish to call Obama a complete liar on this I would not argue against it.

The guy is running on the near-complete assurance he is at the moment politically bullet-proof.

And he may be right.

Really, the problem President Obama is going to have is with his own party. They are the majority right now, & a shot gun put to Nancy Porklosi is not going to stop her earmarks & pork barrel spending. Chuck Schummer actually stated that see: "Americans really don't care about the "porky" in this bill. The hell we don't.

Right now, Obama is still riding high--but the more the American population understands how their hard earned tax dollars are being spent, the more he will be blamed for it.

Obama continually states that there are no earmarks? Give me a break! There are earmarks everywhere in this 787 billion so-called economic stimulus bill.

New Topics

Forum List

Back