Obama solicits La Raza backing

red states rule

May 30, 2006
I guess we know where Obama stands when it comes to illegals - open the door and let them all in

By Stephen Dinan
July 23, 2007

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. — Sen. Barack Obama told the nation's largest Hispanic advocacy group yesterday that he earned their support for his presidential campaign by marching in last year's May 1 immigrant rallies and challenged them to learn whether others met that standard.

"Find out how many senators appeared before an immigration rally last year. Who was talking the talk, and who walked the walk — because I walked," Mr. Obama said at the National Council of La Raza's annual convention in Miami Beach. "I didn't run away from the issue, and I didn't just talk about it in front of Latino audiences."

The Illinois Democrat said the recent Senate immigration debate "was both ugly and racist in a way we haven't see since the struggle for civil rights."

The immigration bill failed late last month when a majority of senators, including 16 members of the Democratic caucus joined most Republicans in a filibuster. It would have combined more border-security spending and new workplace-enforcement rules with a guest-worker program for future workers and a path to citizenship for most illegal aliens.

The bill's collapse galvanized Hispanic voters and advocacy groups, who say it exposed an anti-immigrant and anti-Hispanic strain among American voters. The groups are vowing to fight back by pointing out when they think the debate turns hateful and are promising to register Hispanic voters so they can show their displeasure at the polls.

Both Mr. Obama and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, New York Democrat and the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination, supported the bill and yesterday assured NCLR that they will work to pass a bill as president.

Mr. Obama was the most forceful, promising "in my first term we will make this a priority and get this done." Mrs. Clinton said she couldn't predict an outcome, but would "promise my best efforts."

In remarks during a morning brunch, Mrs. Clinton said she has been trying "to understand where all of the venom and the incredible anxiety came from" in the immigration debate.

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/NATION/107230063/1001

Well, he's a Lib, right RSR? So what else would you expect?

How is it that you always seem so surprised by the actions of politicians?

The best part is that your boy Giuliani is probably about as Liberal as they come in the GOP.

The best part is that your boy Giuliani is probably about as Liberal as they come in the GOP.

RSR only supports "libs" in the Republican party

RSR only supports "libs" in the Republican party

Just about every damn republican is a "Lib". Their voting records prove it.

They just mask it by supporting Bush and adopting the radical neo-conservative ideology. And some pretend to be anti-abortion, which somehow became the lynchpin for conservatism.

Most people on this board have no clue what it means to be a conservative.

Obama is a traitor, to support illegal immigration. Anyone who supports open borders is an anti-american traitor because it will ruin america to even believe that.

I guess we know where Obama stands when it comes to illegals - open the door and let them all in

By Stephen Dinan
July 23, 2007

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. — Sen. Barack Obama told the nation's largest Hispanic advocacy group yesterday that he earned their support for his presidential campaign by marching in last year's May 1 immigrant rallies and challenged them to learn whether others met that standard.

"Find out how many senators appeared before an immigration rally last year. Who was talking the talk, and who walked the walk — because I walked," Mr. Obama said at the National Council of La Raza's annual convention in Miami Beach. "I didn't run away from the issue, and I didn't just talk about it in front of Latino audiences."

The Illinois Democrat said the recent Senate immigration debate "was both ugly and racist in a way we haven't see since the struggle for civil rights."

The immigration bill failed late last month when a majority of senators, including 16 members of the Democratic caucus joined most Republicans in a filibuster. It would have combined more border-security spending and new workplace-enforcement rules with a guest-worker program for future workers and a path to citizenship for most illegal aliens.

The bill's collapse galvanized Hispanic voters and advocacy groups, who say it exposed an anti-immigrant and anti-Hispanic strain among American voters. The groups are vowing to fight back by pointing out when they think the debate turns hateful and are promising to register Hispanic voters so they can show their displeasure at the polls.

Both Mr. Obama and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, New York Democrat and the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination, supported the bill and yesterday assured NCLR that they will work to pass a bill as president.

Mr. Obama was the most forceful, promising "in my first term we will make this a priority and get this done." Mrs. Clinton said she couldn't predict an outcome, but would "promise my best efforts."

In remarks during a morning brunch, Mrs. Clinton said she has been trying "to understand where all of the venom and the incredible anxiety came from" in the immigration debate.

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/NATION/107230063/1001

It's not like Obama and his supporters arn't racist at all.

Just about every damn republican is a "Lib". Their voting records prove it.

They just mask it by supporting Bush and adopting the radical neo-conservative ideology. And some pretend to be anti-abortion, which somehow became the lynchpin for conservatism.

Most people on this board have no clue what it means to be a conservative.

I don't think anyone knows what it means to be a liberal either. Although, like the word conservative, I tend to stick to a more traditional definition of it. The meanings of both have unfortunately changed and now mean something a little bit vague and seem to have more to do with specific political beliefs rather than foundational beliefs.

He is showing what the Dems are really all about

Open borders, taxpayer paid benefits for the world, and tapping a voting block bigger then the black vote

Forum List

Back