Obama Signs the Hate Crime Bill into Law!

Killing someone BECAUSE they are part of a group you HATE and want to intimidate is a hate crime.

IT harms more than just the victim of the crime but all individuals in the class of bigotry that were targeted en masse.

Hate crimes are message crimes. YOUR KIND will be eliminated.

Ignore the poor responses to this Sky, but here's a real one:

Why would any group want to show such weakness as to be intimidated by someone? Doesn't that lessen their stance and show a weakness in conviction? If they need extra protection then they are sending a message themselves, that they can be easily intimidated and that they have no conviction in who they are or any self esteem ... in essence, they are actually telling others that they are lesser by asking for this extra protection.

If someone came after me because I have Jewish blood I would simply fight back, then prosecute them under the "normal" laws ... and stand up in court to say "I am a human being, nothing more, nothing less, and they tried to take that from me." Nothing more needs be done really.

and stand up in court to say "I am a human being, nothing more, nothing less, and they tried to take that from me." Nothing more needs be done really.
Exactly. Thank you.

Special laws based on the way certain people have sex is just plain idiotic.

What's next?

Special laws to protect vegans based on the type of food they eat??? :cuckoo:

Actually ... they are also to "protect" blacks and Muslims and even Islamists ... want to get rid of those laws to?

Special laws based on the way certain people have sex is just plain idiotic.

What's next?

Special laws to protect vegans based on the type of food they eat??? :cuckoo:

Do you think Muslims should be protected when they are targeted by hate crime? If a mosque is targeted for terrorism?

Hate crime is terrorism against individuals and groups and has it's goal to terrify anyone in the targeted group and to make them feel unwelcome in our country.

One of the things I've had to cope with when I first joined this place last year, is that there are people out there who think a bill protecting gay and disabled people is a terrible thing.

To me, this just doesn't compute. On almost every other issue I can see the other side's point of view and try to understand it -- I may not agree with it, but at least I can see the other side's point of view.

With things like this -- I don't get it. There's absolutely nothing to criticize here. This protects certain members of our society by increasing the penalties on people who kill those members of our society specifically because they are gay or disabled. Please, tell me what's so terrible about this.

Actually, I have heard it, directed toward me for being white, while I was in Indiana.

Ok... I guess I'll take Indiana off my travel list! Look, I live in New Orleans, a lot of blacks here vote consistently on the basis of race... it's sad, but it is what it is. The same ones blame all their troubles on "whitey" too. It's a part of life.... I gnore these folks, they are just idiots. No different than those ranting about the "*******" or the "queers".

However, if you harm someone, you pay the price... regardless of the victim. Sorry, I see no need to differentiate.

What if your wife was targeted for marrying a white man, and for being a Muslim, and some yahoo who hates Muslims and black women wants to 'put her and others like her in their place.' This crime is a message crime to white men who marry black women, to black women who marry white men, and to Muslims that YOUR KIND will be eliminated.

That's a hate crime. That's not just one woman being a victim of rape or battering or murder, it's the targeting of a class of people due to bigotry.

One of the things I've had to cope with when I first joined this place last year, is that there are people out there who think a bill protecting gay and disabled people is a terrible thing.

To me, this just doesn't compute. On almost every other issue I can see the other side's point of view and try to understand it -- I may not agree with it, but at least I can see the other side's point of view.

With things like this -- I don't get it. There's absolutely nothing to criticize here. This protects certain members of our society by increasing the penalties on people who kill those members of our society specifically because they are gay or disabled. Please, tell me what's so terrible about this.

I believe in true equality, hate crime laws do not promote this and I do believe that they should all be abolished. The law should be blind.

The law states here in Louisiana that if you murder someone, and you are convicted of 1st degree or 2nd degree murder, you go to prison for life or worse, die by lethal injection (with which I do not agree).

I see no need for any other stipulations.

Last edited:

I believe in true equality, hate crime laws do not promote this and I do believe that they should all be abolished. The law should be blind.

Hate crime is 'message crime' and hate crime protections are 'message laws'. They tell the perpetrators that society values all it's citizens equally when they are victims of crime and singled out for crime based on merely being members of some group.

Hate crimes are crimes of terrorism.

T
his protects certain members of our society by increasing the penalties on people who kill those members of our society specifically because they are gay or disabled. Please, tell me what's so terrible about this

It infers that killing me, a straight white male is somehow not as bad.

This is an unconstitutional law. It gives special protection through a right not extended to all. I find it interesting that many in the gay community are quite vocal about having equal status on the marriage issue. The arguement goes, we should have equal protection under the law. Where is the outrage from them on being given different protection under the law?

A hate crime law is a variation on the theme for restricted freedom of speech.

Hate crime is 'message crime' and hate crime protections are 'message laws'. They tell the perpetrators that society values all it's citizens equally when they are victims of crime and singled out for crime based on merely being members of some group.

Hate crimes are crimes of terrorism.

You must have missed it, so here it is again:

Why would any group want to show such weakness as to be intimidated by someone? Doesn't that lessen their stance and show a weakness in conviction? If they need extra protection then they are sending a message themselves, that they can be easily intimidated and that they have no conviction in who they are or any self esteem ... in essence, they are actually telling others that they are lesser by asking for this extra protection.

If someone came after me because I have Jewish blood I would simply fight back, then prosecute them under the "normal" laws ... and stand up in court to say "I am a human being, nothing more, nothing less, and they tried to take that from me." Nothing more needs be done really.

I kill a straight white male - life in prison.
I kill a gay white male -Life plus twenty.

So... what's the message ???

New Topics

Forum List

Back