Obama Signs the Hate Crime Bill into Law!

Another 'feel good' thing by the left that has no basis in reality..

Crimes generally are not 'kindness crimes'.. there is an inherent piece of 'hate' in any crime

No different from having different charges for crimes of passion.

Murder is murder... battery is battery

... and that's why I don't like "hate crime" laws ... well, there's more. These type of bills also make some victims more important than others, they create witch-hunts (something I never want to see repeated in my lifetime), as well as create larger divides between different groups of people instead of accomplishing a union that we need as a country.

A strange correlation ... in Seattle we recently passed stricter "hate crime" laws (well about 5 years back) and the hate crimes actually increased while the enforcement of anything which fit into that category decreased. It was strange.

The dems always seem to promote the concept that "some people are more equal then others".

Republicans do as well, just different people.

True. The GOP passed the "American Jobs Creation Act" which did nothing except provide tax breaks to move factories overseas so the rich can get richer. While the dems make gays and minorities special classes of citizen having more rights than the rest of us.

Long overdue.

Hate crimes are DOMESTIC TERRORISM, folks.

PreteNding that they are merely just aNother crime flies in the face of the TRUTH and Spirit of the law.

What spirit of the law? you ask.

The spirit of the law that recogizes that MOTIVE helps determine the severity AND NATURE of the crime.

That's the same spirit that diffentiates, as one perefect example, the difference between 2nd degree murder and 1st degree murder.

So for those of you who are outraged because you THINK that bashing a gay person because you hate gays is NO DIFFERENT tha just bashing somebody because you hate that particualar person?

You're just denyig the chilling effect of the TERRORISM of gay bashing.

If I started offing White Christian hetersexuals because I hated White Christian hetersexuals, you'd all understand that my crime was MORE than merely murdering people. You'd surely understand that I was terrorizing that community.

Denying that the same damned thing happens to gays (and that makes that crime a hate crime) is pure unadultered prejudice.

Now obviously it is possible to do harm to a gay person being motivated by something other than his gayness.

And that is not a HATE crime, that is merely batttery.

Motive MATTERS, and in the gay of crimes motivated by sexual preference, it needed to be codified.

Last edited:
Long overdue.

Hate crimes are DOMESTIC TERRORISM, folks.

PreteNding that they are merely just aNother crime flies in the face of the TRUTH and Spirit of the law.

What spirit of the law? you ask.

The spirit of the law that recogizes that MOTIVE helps determine the severity AND NATURE of the crime.

That's the same spirit that diffentiates, as one perefect example, the difference between 2nd degree murder and 1st degree murder.

So for those of you who are outraged because you THINK that bashing a gay person because you hate gays is NO DIFFERENT tha just bashing somebody because you hate that particualar person?

You're just denyig the chilling effect of the TERRORISM of gay bashing.

If I started offing White Christian hetersexuals because I hated White Christian hetersexuals, you'd all understand that my crime was MORE than merely murdering people. You'd surely understand that I was terrorizing that community.

Denying that the same damned thing happens to gays (and that makes that crime a hate crime) is pure unadultered prejudice.

Now obviously it is possible to do harm to a gay person being motivated by something other than his gayness.

And that is not a HATE crime, that is merely batttery.

Motive MATTERS, and in the gay of crimes motivated by sexual preference, it needed to be codified.

Yes there is a difference between 1st and 2nd degree murder... assault and aggravated assault.... but 2nd degree murder of a black man by a white woman is the same as 2nd degree murder of a white woman by a black man and is the same as 2nd degree murder of a brown man by a gay woman... etc...

Just as there is no difference if your motive is financial gain or if your motive were just to cause havoc or because you did not like the color of the car that person had... you had a motive, which is essential for conviction for the crime

Henderson pleaded guilty on April 5, 1999, and agreed to testify against McKinney to avoid the death penalty; he received two consecutive life sentences. The jury in McKinney's trial found him guilty of felony murder. As they began to deliberate on the death penalty, Shepard's parents brokered a deal, resulting in McKinney receiving two consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole.[15]

Henderson and McKinney were incarcerated in the Wyoming State Penitentiary in Rawlins but were transferred to other prisons because of overcrowding
Matthew Shepard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shawn Allen Berry
The driver of the truck, Berry was the most difficult to convict of the three defendants because there was a lack of evidence to suggest that he himself was a racist. Berry had also claimed that Brewer and King were entirely responsible for the crime. Brewer, however, testified that it was Berry who cut Byrd's throat before he was tied to the truck. The jury decided that there was little evidence to support this claim.[5] As a result, Berry was spared the death penalty and was sentenced to life in prison.
Lawrence Russell Brewer
Brewer was a white supremacist who, prior to Byrd's murder, had served a prison sentence for drug possession and burglary. He was paroled in 1991. After violating his parole conditions in 1994, Brewer was returned to prison. According to his court testimony, he joined a white supremacist gang with King in prison in order to safeguard himself from other inmates.[6] A psychiatrist testified that Brewer did not appear repentant for his crimes. Brewer was ultimately convicted and sentenced to death.
John King
King was accused of beating Byrd with a bat and then dragging him behind a truck until he died. King had previously claimed that he had been gang-raped in prison by black inmates.[7] Although he had no previous record of racism, King had joined a white supremacist prison gang, allegedly for self-protection. He was found guilty and sentenced to death for his role in Byrd's kidnapping and murder.
Murder of James Byrd, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

While these crimes are like crimes of any nature vile and should be dealt with there is a reason we have laws, and that is to protect citizens. In the case of Matthew Shepard, and James Byrd those that committed the crimes were found GUILTY of murder and in some cases some are facing the death penalty for it. Hate crimes legislation serve no purpose other than to curb free speech no matter how vile that speech may be. Here is a novel idea, instead of bending down and kissing the feet of any group with an agenda and passing laws to make them feel good, perhaps we add some teeth to the laws already on the books? I wonder if after carrying our the death sentence in some of these cases should a hate crimes bill be in place, what then? the person that committed the crime is just as dead and an existing state law took care of it. So forgive me , no matter how well meaning these laws may seem, what they will end up doing is further seperating Americans into ethnic or groups based on sexual orientation when the real goal of this nation should be the goal reflected in the words of Dr. King.

"I look forward confidently to the day when all who work for a living will be one with no thought to their separateness as Negroes, Jews, Italians or any other distinctions. This will be the day when we bring into full realization the American dream -- a dream yet unfulfilled. A dream of equality of opportunity, of privilege and property widely distributed; a dream of a land where men will not take necessities from the many to give luxuries to the few; a dream of a land where men will not argue that the color of a man's skin determines the content of his character; a dream of a nation where all our gifts and resources are held not for ourselves alone, but as instruments of service for the rest of humanity; the dream of a country where every man will respect the dignity and worth of the human personality."

So if your really upset with these sorts of crimes and all other violent crimes regardless of the color or sexual orientation of the victim then advocate in your state for the laws that exists to be brought down upon those that commit them. Anyone who suffers from a crime should NEVER be held above another simply because of the nature for the crime itelf and thats exactly what this legislation does and makes justice now dependant not o nthe nature of the crime but rather the color or sexual orienttation of the victim, try telling that to the mother of a murdered daughter or the husband of a wife lost to to a drunk driver.

Unequal treatment under the law, the scales of justice have shifted further to the left.

No different than thought crime legislation. Presuming to know what is in a persons mind.

Proponents of this legislation are bias to an extreme.

How fucking stupid. So it is now somehow worse to kill somebody becuase they're gay as opposed to.. straight?

Retarded ass legislation... we're now segregating penalties for crimes based on what group the victim fall under.. what next... more time if you kill a white man than if you kill a black man?

Has anyone here been on the recieving end of a hate crime? Have you had a cross burning on your lawn, had slurs and threats shouted at you? What did you think about Matthew Shephard being singled out for being gay and beaten to within an inch of his life and left to die?

As someone who lived in the neighborhood when Mulageta Seraw was murdereed by skinheads, I suppor this legislation. Bravo Mr President!

Are you a Christian? Before this bill was signed, you were a protected group. Hate Crimes Laws covered you.

Are you white? Before this bill was signed, you were a protected group. Hate Crimes Laws covered you.

What is your ethnicity? Whatever it was...Before this bill was signed, you were a protected group. Hate Crimes Laws covered you.

Are you a woman? Before this bill was signed, you were a protected group. Hate Crimes Laws covered you.

Are you straight? Now with this expansion, this law now covers you.

had slurs and threats shouted at you?

yeah.. by crazy libs.. EVERY day. I don't give a fuck.

Hate crime???? As opposed to a "love" crime???

God you people are some stupid mother fuckers. Absolutely devoid of any sense whatsoever. You preach equal treatment and then immediately go about separating everybody off into groups.

Fucking retards.

Forum List

Back