Obama Signs the Hate Crime Bill into Law!

paperview

Life is Good
Jul 27, 2009
the road less traveled
"Ten years ago this month, Wyoming college student Matthew Shepard was brutally attacked and murdered because he was gay. A year before Matthew's murder, James Byrd. Jr. was kidnapped, beaten, and stripped naked by three white supremacists, who chained him by the ankles to a pickup truck and dragged his body for three miles. These tragedies reawakened American consciousness about hate crime and sparked debate far beyond U.S. borders.

Today, President Obama signed into law the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crime Prevention Act, critical legislation that strengthens existing U.S. laws by extending federal hate crime protection in cases where the victim was targeted because of their sexual orientation, gender, disability, or gender identity. The new law -- which the U.S. Attorney General Holder called a "civil rights issue that is clearly a priority" -- will also permit federal authorities to assist local governments in hate crime investigations and increase their capacity through training programs.

This much-needed step to enhance the government's response to hate crime at home will play an important role in enhancing US leadership on combating hate violence globally. This is already happening.

Paul LeGendre: Obama Signs the Hate Crime Bill into Law! What's Next?

No comment.

link said:
For the first time, the law that had previously protected people from attacks motivated by race, religion or ethnicity will include gay, lesbian, transgender and disabled people.

Does this seem to be misstated? I've not heard of any law ever protecting anyone from being attacked for any reason. The law only gives recourse to prosecute and punish someone caught after the attack. Expanding the coverage of hate crime laws does nothing to protect people from attacks. Only ridding the world of hate will do that. Fat chance!

It is a nice gesture to include additional specific groups in laws intended to protect people from hate.

Now that we have included gays, lesbians, transgendered and disabled people under this protective shield, we can really go after the radical Muslims for preaching hatred and violence toward them.:rolleyes:

I see this a symbolic effort to calm the fears of GLBTs. I think it will do nothing in the way of actually protecting them from hatred and the harm caused by it.

Good to know Obama has his eyes on the prize and is not distracted by little things like the economy or Afghanistan

Another 'feel good' thing by the left that has no basis in reality..

Crimes generally are not 'kindness crimes'.. there is an inherent piece of 'hate' in any crime

No different from having different charges for crimes of passion.

link said:
For the first time, the law that had previously protected people from attacks motivated by race, religion or ethnicity will include gay, lesbian, transgender and disabled people.

Does this seem to be misstated? I've not heard of any law ever protecting anyone from being attacked for any reason. The law only gives recourse to prosecute and punish someone caught after the attack. Expanding the coverage of hate crime laws does nothing to protect people from attacks. Only ridding the world of hate will do that. Fat chance!

It is a nice gesture to include additional specific groups in laws intended to protect people from hate.

Now that we have included gays, lesbians, transgendered and disabled people under this protective shield, we can really go after the radical Muslims for preaching hatred and violence toward them.:rolleyes:

I see this a symbolic effort to calm the fears of GLBTs. I think it will do nothing in the way of actually protecting them from hatred and the harm caused by it.
wouldnt that also fall under the law as a HATE crime?

"Ten years ago this month, Wyoming college student Matthew Shepard was brutally attacked and murdered because he was gay. A year before Matthew's murder, James Byrd. Jr. was kidnapped, beaten, and stripped naked by three white supremacists, who chained him by the ankles to a pickup truck and dragged his body for three miles. These tragedies reawakened American consciousness about hate crime and sparked debate far beyond U.S. borders.

Today, President Obama signed into law the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crime Prevention Act, critical legislation that strengthens existing U.S. laws by extending federal hate crime protection in cases where the victim was targeted because of their sexual orientation, gender, disability, or gender identity. The new law -- which the U.S. Attorney General Holder called a "civil rights issue that is clearly a priority" -- will also permit federal authorities to assist local governments in hate crime investigations and increase their capacity through training programs.

This much-needed step to enhance the government's response to hate crime at home will play an important role in enhancing US leadership on combating hate violence globally. This is already happening.

Paul LeGendre: Obama Signs the Hate Crime Bill into Law! What's Next?

No comment.

bunch of shit....if i intentionally beat up a guy who happens to be gay and say i kill him....i should get the maximum sentence....it should not be more just because i called him a fag when i killed him....he is no more of a human than anyone else... if you intentionally hurt another person or kill them the sentence should be the max....period and no time off for good behavior....every minute served....

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Vel
So, the law has descended into mind reading now?

Isn't pre-meditated murder mind reading then?
Red herring.

The silly "hate crimes" laws make an aggravating factor out of the victim being a member of a protected class of individuals, with no other evidence than that of being a member of that protected class.

Glad to see that whites are climbing ever higher in status under the Obama regime. Pretty soon we'll be able to go outside without asking for permission from Homeland Security.

Forum List

Back