Obama Signs Children's Health Care Bill

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
President Obama has signed a bill extending health coverage to 4 million uninsured children.

The East Room signing ceremony on Wednesday represented a much-needed win for Obama on health care a day after his administration suffered a major setback with the loss of his nominee to lead his drive for sweeping reform, Tom Daschle.

The bill went to the White House fresh from passage in the Democratic-controlled House, on a vote of 290-135.

Obama Signs Children's Health Care Bill - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

April 1st. the price of a pack of cigarettes goes up 62 cents..

Well--at least this is being paid for by cigarette smokers. Yet, in this new so-called stimulus bill thats really not a stimulus, there is 58 MILLION dollars for smoking cessation?

Our government at work again!

President Obama has signed a bill extending health coverage to 4 million uninsured children.

The East Room signing ceremony on Wednesday represented a much-needed win for Obama on health care a day after his administration suffered a major setback with the loss of his nominee to lead his drive for sweeping reform, Tom Daschle.

The bill went to the White House fresh from passage in the Democratic-controlled House, on a vote of 290-135.

Obama Signs Children's Health Care Bill - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

April 1st. the price of a pack of cigarettes goes up 62 cents..

Be careful when you're checking the boxes on those medical apps..if you make a boo boo and identify yourself as Christian, chances are you're no longer eligible.

First not evryone who is uninsured is poor and not a few aren't. In fact if I'm in my thirties and making much above 50k a year and in reasonably good health the only insurance I want is catastrophic care.

Well--at least this is being paid for by cigarette smokers. Yet, in this new so-called stimulus bill thats really not a stimulus, there is 58 MILLION dollars for smoking cessation?

Yep! from the article.

"The expansion of the SCHIP program will provide millions of uninsured children with critical health care coverage and carry the added health benefit of encouraging millions of people to give up their deadly smoking habit," said John R. Seffrin, national chief executive officer of the American Cancer Society.

Morons! so if everybody gives up smoking how they gonna pay for SCHIP?

Exactly.
My parents didn't have fucking health insurance.

Until I was WELL into adulthood the only insurance I had was the periods of time when I was down and out and getting medical because I had young kids in the home.

When my oldest was born, we actually paid for everything in cash, over time. Imagine that!

Neither of my boys has medical, they work and one has a young child.

Medical coverage is not a RIGHT. It's a privilege, or something you earn yourself. It's not something YOU HAVE COMING TO YOU because YOU'RE A FUCKING LOSER. People can and will support themselves when it comes down to it.

Don't believe me? Ask my nemesis, KK...who has been down and out and lived the life. We have many differences and I think she's a nut...but at least she recognizes that people are accountable for themselves.

It's something you have to learn the hard way, and too many liberal pansy asses who insist that the state should provide a cushy living for every single man, woman and child on the planet..and make sure they're teeth are straight....have never had to learn ANYTHING the hard way, have never been down and out themselves, and have had limited association with the people they think we should provide a free ride to.

Yep! from the article.

"The expansion of the SCHIP program will provide millions of uninsured children with critical health care coverage and carry the added health benefit of encouraging millions of people to give up their deadly smoking habit," said John R. Seffrin, national chief executive officer of the American Cancer Society.

Morons! so if everybody gives up smoking how they gonna pay for SCHIP?

Where they always get it from. US 70% of this nation used to be smokers, today I believe it's in the 30% range. (That means a lot of x-smokers in this country). 62. per pack more may encourage even more to toss those cigarettes. Once they do--up goes the deficit & our tax bills.

Last edited:
So now we are on the hook for Medical care for people making upwards of 80k a year, thanks Obama.

So now we are on the hook for Medical care for people making upwards of 80k a year, thanks Obama.

don't forget the adults covered and the illegals.. Thank him twice more.

No only the smokers are on the hook, you know, the smokers we're....
Hey Wait a frikin minute.

I'm going to start smoking again and do my patriotic duty.

Obama knows using the name of the "Chiltrenz" will shut up those damn common sense folks.

Going to be a long four years I tell ya.:cuckoo:

Last edited:
First not evryone who is uninsured is poor and not a few aren't. In fact if I'm in my thirties and making much above 50k a year and in reasonably good health the only insurance I want is catastrophic care.

The reason you want catastrophic care is because your health. No one needs health insurance until they get sick or injured!

The reason for catastrophic care is two fold. Prolonged illness such as cancer or heart disease or some noodnik running over my car while I'm in it.

Any thing else you can deal with out of pocket.

On one hand I am not ready for socialized medicine. And why should my children not get free healthcare, just because I choose to pay for it (not even sure I can still afford it)!

On the other hand, children legally can't work and they couldn't nor shouldn't work even if it was legal. A child should not be denied full healthcare simply because his parents couldn't or recklessly didn't get him/her insurance. I hate the saying that healthcare isn't a right! No one chooses to get sick, they just get sick and they have to pay for it!

When it comes down to it the decision for me is easy, children who are the most helpless in society, should not have to worry about healthcare. This is much different than healthcare or welfare for adult, who can work and have the personal power to better their situation.

If we want to cut spending cut welfare!

"Recklessly"?

Don't you mean..they can't afford it? I don't think it's "reckless" not to pay for something you can't afford.

My children were "recklessly" un-insured when I was working as a reporter because it would cost me $800 a month to insure us. Yeah, that's fucking reckless of me. I don't feel like paying $800 a month when chances are, I'll pay much less than that. It's fucking extortion.

The reason for catastrophic care is two fold. Prolonged illness such as cancer or heart disease or some noodnik running over my car while I'm in it.

Any thing else you can deal with out of pocket.

PLEASE! My son went to the doctor, because they thought he had appendicous, it turned out to be a virus around his appendix, which is painful but goes away naturally. I have t 90/10 PPO plus, meaning my portion was $1K. If I didn't have insurance I would be on the hook for $10K. Guess what catastrophic case won't cover that. Break a leg or arm, same thing!

"Recklessly"?

Don't you mean..they can't afford it? I don't think it's "reckless" not to pay for something you can't afford.

My children were "recklessly" un-insured when I was working as a reporter because it would cost me $800 a month to insure us. Yeah, that's fucking reckless of me. I don't feel like paying $800 a month when chances are, I'll pay much less than that. It's fucking extortion.

There are people who chose not to get insurance, because they want to spend their money on other things beside insurance! You will be surprised how many households that do this!

While I am flattered by the actually good reference to me from Allie, to everyone who doesn't like halthe care for children ... WAIT ONE DAMNED MINUTE!

So, abortion is wrong, you have to force the kids into bad lives anyway. Then instead of making sure they live at least long enough to become productive members of society you think it's also bad to take care of them? This is messed up logic. Sure, you can debate where the money should come from ... by all means, but if you REALLY care about childrens lives anything is good that helps them right now.

As for adults, almost no one has health care in reality, at least anything decent. My best friend is with one of those HMO's because that's what they give her at her job. Still costs a fortune to go to the doc, for meds, etc. and yet she also cannot choose which doc she goes to (unless she's lucky enough that it's on the 'list' already). While health care costs are outrageous it till shouldn't be free. The cost has to come from somewhere unless you are fool enough to believe doctors will work for free, pharmacies will give you meds for free, and the equipment manufacturers will give away those really expensive machines everyone demands for free. The costs of many aspects should be regulated within limits so that everyone can afford it without needing insurance but free medical ... not possible. Still though ... for these children who have no choice but to be forced to be born into bad lives ... really, arguing against anything that would grant them half a chance to pay it back? Stupid, it would be more expensive if they died after being born anyway, more expensive for us, the tax payers. But if they grow up strong and healthy they can then start paying taxes, which will benefit most of us when we are too old to work ourselves and retirement dries up. If you are going to require that all children be born regardless of the safety of the mother and the financial stability of their household, we need them to be able to pay us back for that, and to do that they need to grow up first.

Forum List

Back