Obama Signed Secret Libya Order Authorizing Support For Rebels

Responsibility lies with Congress to get involved with this. This should be thoroughly investigated as to its Constitutionality. I guess we'll see what Congress does or doesn't do. Stay tuned.

The Resolution authorizing all the activities the administration is presently involved in concerning Libya was passed by UNANIMOUS consent, meaning all 100 voted yea, to the following resolution. The Republicans and pundits can grandstand 'till pigs fly that they're in the dark, but they...are...lying...

Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
^Full wording

S.Res.85: A resolution strongly condemning the gross and systematic violations of human rights in Libya
Official Summary

3/1/2011--Passed Senate without amendment. (This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary of that version is repeated here.) Applauds the courage of the Libyan people in standing up against the dictatorship of Muammar Gadhafi and for demanding democratic reforms and respect for human and civil rights. Condemns systematic violations of human rights in Libya, including attacks on protesters demanding democratic reforms. Calls on Muammar Gadhafi to desist from further violence, recognize the Libyan people's demand for democratic change, resign his position, and permit a peaceful transition to democracy. Welcomes the vote of the U.N. Security Council on resolution 1970 referring the situation in Libya to the International Criminal Court (ICC), imposing an arms embargo on the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, freezing Gadhafi family assets, and banning international travel by Gadhafi, members of his family, and senior advisors. Urges:

(1) the Gadhafi regime to abide by Security Council Resolution 1970, and

(2) the Security Council to take such further action to protect civilians in Libya from attack, including the possible imposition of a no-fly zone over Libyan territory. Welcomes:

(1) the African Union's (AU) condemnation of the disproportionate use of force in Libya and urges the AU to take action to address the human rights crisis in Libya,

(2) the United Nations Human Rights Council's (UNHRC) decision to recommend Libya's suspension from the Council and urges the U.N. General Assembly to vote to suspend Libya's rights of Council,

(3) Secretary of State Clinton's attendance at the UNHRC meeting in Geneva and urges the Council's assumption of a country mandate for Libya that employs a Special Rapporteur on the human rights situation in Libya, and

(4) U.S. outreach to Libyan opposition figures in support of an orderly transition to a democratic government in Libya.

I see where we urge the Security Council to impose a no-fly zone.
I do not, however, see where we agree to be the enforcers of it.
:eusa_whistle:

And where exactly did the article say anything about personal???????????
It said arms, money, training and propaganda.
Boots are on the way:

Lejeune Marines prepare to deploy off Libyan coast | abc11.com

Twenty-two hundred Marines and sailors from Camp Lejeune are preparing to deploy off the coast of Libya in northern Africa. They said goodbye to their families Monday afternoon, and they'll be leaving in the days ahead.

That means nothing. They will either get the order or not. In the meantime, they must be ready. We still have 25,000 soldiers deployed at the demilitarized zone of Korea, too, at the ready just in case.
It means exactly what I said;
"Boots are on the way"

They already HAVE "the order"....
:eusa_shhh:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama has signed a secret order authorizing covert U.S. government support for rebel forces seeking to oust Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, government officials told Reuters on Wednesday.

(SCROLL DOWN FOR LIVE UPDATES)

Obama signed the order, known as a presidential "finding", within the last two or three weeks, according to four U.S. government sources familiar with the matter.

Such findings are a principal form of presidential directive used to authorize secret operations by the Central Intelligence Agency. The CIA and the White House declined immediate comment.

News that Obama had given the authorization surfaced as the President and other U.S. and allied officials spoke openly about the possibility of sending arms supplies to Gaddafi's opponents, who are fighting better-equipped government forces.

The United States is part of a coalition, with NATO members and some Arab states, which is conducting air strikes on Libyan government forces under a U.N. mandate aimed at protecting civilians opposing Gaddafi.
Story continues below

In interviews with American TV networks on Tuesday, Obama said the objective was for Gaddafi to "ultimately step down" from power. He spoke of applying "steady pressure, not only militarily but also through these other means" to force Gaddafi out.

Obama Signed Secret Libya Order Authorizing Support For Rebels

I just had to revisit the OP to see how it related to Bush/Iraq.
Any discussion that attaches war to Obama always turns out the same way............"Boooooosh did it!"
wah-fuckin-wah

Well let's see: We invaded Afghanistan in November of 2001 as I recall. We invaded Iraq in March of 2003 as I recall. Those wars were still going on, we were still spending billions per month and lives & limbs lost on a daily basis in each, when Obama took office in January of 2009.

In January 2009, the US was still firmly entrenched in "nation building" Iraq, and Afghanistan was being lost to militant Taliban when more troops were sent in there by Obama several months later.

So let's just say Bush needs to take 99% of the responsibility for Afganistan and Iraq. Fair?
Need my calculator?
Even going all the way back to 2001, that's 10 yrs.
Barry's been in 2(+).
= 80/20 share of blame

Responsibility lies with Congress to get involved with this. This should be thoroughly investigated as to its Constitutionality. I guess we'll see what Congress does or doesn't do. Stay tuned.

The Resolution authorizing all the activities the administration is presently involved in concerning Libya was passed by UNANIMOUS consent, meaning all 100 voted yea, to the following resolution. The Republicans and pundits can grandstand 'till pigs fly that they're in the dark, but they...are...lying...

Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
^Full wording

S.Res.85: A resolution strongly condemning the gross and systematic violations of human rights in Libya
Official Summary

3/1/2011--Passed Senate without amendment. (This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary of that version is repeated here.) Applauds the courage of the Libyan people in standing up against the dictatorship of Muammar Gadhafi and for demanding democratic reforms and respect for human and civil rights. Condemns systematic violations of human rights in Libya, including attacks on protesters demanding democratic reforms. Calls on Muammar Gadhafi to desist from further violence, recognize the Libyan people's demand for democratic change, resign his position, and permit a peaceful transition to democracy. Welcomes the vote of the U.N. Security Council on resolution 1970 referring the situation in Libya to the International Criminal Court (ICC), imposing an arms embargo on the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, freezing Gadhafi family assets, and banning international travel by Gadhafi, members of his family, and senior advisors. Urges:

(1) the Gadhafi regime to abide by Security Council Resolution 1970, and

(2) the Security Council to take such further action to protect civilians in Libya from attack, including the possible imposition of a no-fly zone over Libyan territory. Welcomes:

(1) the African Union's (AU) condemnation of the disproportionate use of force in Libya and urges the AU to take action to address the human rights crisis in Libya,

(2) the United Nations Human Rights Council's (UNHRC) decision to recommend Libya's suspension from the Council and urges the U.N. General Assembly to vote to suspend Libya's rights of Council,

(3) Secretary of State Clinton's attendance at the UNHRC meeting in Geneva and urges the Council's assumption of a country mandate for Libya that employs a Special Rapporteur on the human rights situation in Libya, and

(4) U.S. outreach to Libyan opposition figures in support of an orderly transition to a democratic government in Libya.

I see where we urge the Security Council to impose a no-fly zone.
I do not, however, see where we agree to be the enforcers of it.
:eusa_whistle:

Actually, France has done just as much as the US as far as enforcing the no-fly zone. But the resolution is a given that US planes would be involved.

I just had to revisit the OP to see how it related to Bush/Iraq.
Any discussion that attaches war to Obama always turns out the same way............"Boooooosh did it!"
wah-fuckin-wah

Well let's see: We invaded Afghanistan in November of 2001 as I recall. We invaded Iraq in March of 2003 as I recall. Those wars were still going on, we were still spending billions per month and lives & limbs lost on a daily basis in each, when Obama took office in January of 2009.

In January 2009, the US was still firmly entrenched in "nation building" Iraq, and Afghanistan was being lost to militant Taliban when more troops were sent in there by Obama several months later.

So let's just say Bush needs to take 99% of the responsibility for Afganistan and Iraq. Fair?
Need my calculator?
Even going all the way back to 2001, that's 10 yrs.
Barry's been in 2(+).
= 80/20 share of blame

Care to look at the total numbers and then readjust yours? How many supplementals under Bush and how many under Obama?

Obama expanded Iraq?:cuckoo:
The Pentagon expanded the Afghanistan war.
I disagreed with both when Bush fucked them both up. Rummie took resources AWAY from Afghanistan for Iraq and fucked that war up. Rumsfeld/Bush/Cheney were advised by the entire US military and US military ground force commanders in theatre NOT to turn their backs on the remaining Baathist police, militaryand government officials in post war Iraq and what did Bush do? Let 80,000 of them hit the streets, armed to the teeth with the Shia chasing them. The next day the IEDs started and the insurgency fought us just like our military advised they would do.
Libya? Read my posts from way back. Obama administration, just like the Reagan administration, dropped the ball on this from the start. They entered too late, ran their mouth from the start. "Ghadafi must go" comment was a bad statement to make public.
Speak softly yet carry a big stick.
Obama is not a war President. He inherited 2 wars and downsized one and is re-evaluating the other.
No wonder we end up with McCain/Palin. We need to focus on running this team off yet all I hear is Run Sarah Run, Obama is a Kenyan secret agent war President and he plays too much golf.

But bottom line we are on the same page. Obama is not a fiscal conservative and amateur at foreign policy. He must go.

I don't agree that Obama couldn't end the wars if he wanted to, that is why I say they are his wars now. Obama expanded Afghanistan, or allowed it.

Libya is a war as defined by what makes a war a war. Only in the Political world of I want to do a war but not call it a war is it not a war, and this war is already breaching the lines drawn in the sand by people who reeeeeeaaalllly don't want this viewed as a war.

That’s my take on it.

Obama has turned out to be a third Bush term. I doubt any liberals that voted for Obama would have been happy if they could have viewed where things are today before they voted back in 2008. I believe the rebels on their own stand a significant chance of losing, do you really think Obama wants this war to turn out like that when he took the risk he has? He will do whatever is “needed” to win this war all the while not calling it a war… He has to win, it’s the smart/intellectual choice and that’s what is at risk here…

Back in 2008, nobody expected to have wave after wave of catastrophic events define the country, either.

No, every person that voted for Obama was really that fucking stupid as to believe out of nowhere the US was just going to be like living a perfect wonderland... Really, that was your comeback?

"I had no idea that bad shit could still possibly happen even if I voted for a black guy." I assume you voted for Obama, did you think that somehow with a few waves of his hands Obama was magically going to fix everything? At what point did you ever question Obama’s methods, after he expanded or supported like every single Bush policy? Or wait, are you still defending Bush’s I mean Obama’s policies???

Man, no wonder shit sucks, we have war hungry Bush bots or war hungry Obamabots running around.

It sure is comical watching these anti-war liberals trip over themselves justifying the obama. lol Fuckin' hypocrites abound.
Almost as comical as watching anti-terrorist CON$ bend over and grab their ankles supporting Gaddafi, a terrorist with American blood on his hands. lol Fuckin' hypocrites abound.

It sure is comical watching these anti-war liberals trip over themselves justifying the obama. lol Fuckin' hypocrites abound.
Almost as comical as watching anti-terrorist CON$ bend over and grab their ankles supporting Gaddafi, a terrorist with American blood on his hands. lol Fuckin' hypocrites abound.

Nope, they shoulda shot that asshole a couple decades ago.

I'm not against taking out Qaddafi. I might not agree with the way we're doing it, but I'll rejoice when I hear he's deceased.

Obama needs to grow a set and be up front about what he's doing, and not lie and sugar coat it to try and satisfy his insatiable base. What are they gonna do, vote republican?

well i guess if everyone knows its not such a secret order now is it???

Yeah, I'm pretty confused as to why whoever leaked this is not going to jail right now.

I'm also pretty confused about how various media sources are broadcasting secret national security information right now without consequence.

You seem to be under the misconception that people who were against going to war in Iraq are "anti-war".

I'm a veteran myself, and certainly no pacifist. I just happened to think that going into Iraq was fucking stupid.

Now, I'm not going to say Libya is a good or bad move, I'll withhold judgement until I see the results, but it's certainly no Iraq.

I don't agree that Obama couldn't end the wars if he wanted to, that is why I say they are his wars now. Obama expanded Afghanistan, or allowed it.

Libya is a war as defined by what makes a war a war. Only in the Political world of I want to do a war but not call it a war is it not a war, and this war is already breaching the lines drawn in the sand by people who reeeeeeaaalllly don't want this viewed as a war.

That’s my take on it.

Obama has turned out to be a third Bush term. I doubt any liberals that voted for Obama would have been happy if they could have viewed where things are today before they voted back in 2008. I believe the rebels on their own stand a significant chance of losing, do you really think Obama wants this war to turn out like that when he took the risk he has? He will do whatever is “needed” to win this war all the while not calling it a war… He has to win, it’s the smart/intellectual choice and that’s what is at risk here…

Back in 2008, nobody expected to have wave after wave of catastrophic events define the country, either.

No, every person that voted for Obama was really that fucking stupid as to believe out of nowhere the US was just going to be like living a perfect wonderland... Really, that was your comeback?

"I had no idea that bad shit could still possibly happen even if I voted for a black guy." I assume you voted for Obama, did you think that somehow with a few waves of his hands Obama was magically going to fix everything? At what point did you ever question Obama’s methods, after he expanded or supported like every single Bush policy? Or wait, are you still defending Bush’s I mean Obama’s policies???

Man, no wonder shit sucks, we have war hungry Bush bots or war hungry Obamabots running around.

I didn't expect a wonderland, fool. But I also didn't expect the entire financial market to crash and reverberate throughout the world creating massive economic crises. You can bloviate 'till pigs fly that Obama's war policy is exactly like Bush's, but of course you only look stupid because there was logically no way in hell we could just up and leave either war zone.

Did I expect magical fixes? No, I did not. But folks who hated Barack Obama for whatever reason, and I'm sure being black is high on YOUR list, demanded that he indeed wave some magic wand and fix everything post-haste, i.e., immediately. The country was fucking bleeding to death within months after he took office, and yet he got the blame for all of it from YOU PEOPLE.

But the resolution is a given that US planes would be involved.
Why? Because we're members of the UN?
There are 191 other member nations besides us.

Or is it a "given" because we're the United Sates?

OH please, what kind of argument are you actually looking for? We have more Tomahawk missiles, for one thing. We have a stronger Air Force in general. Should we shrink back on the operation just because there isn't a perfect matchup among NATO strengths? If you want to argue the pros and cons of doing it at all, then go there, but being petty is stupid.

There aren't 60,000 American troops on the ground and headed for Tripoli. Big fucking difference.

I am not even sure why they outed this now unless they think its a fait accompli, to going to come out and soon anyway.

The cia I guess wheres wingtips , so he can indeed that there were no 'boots' on the ground.

It will be interesting to see if he had informed the senate and house select intelligence committees that he had let the cia go into Libya.
And where exactly did the article say anything about personal???????????
It said arms, money, training and propaganda.

hello, how do you TRAIN people without being there?

anyway, I get news from other places than USMB.

In Libya, CIA is gathering intelligence on rebels - The Washington Post

Okay.........I'll play your silly little game.........

Iraq. We got so entrenched in there because of Bush Jr. that it's gonna take a while to pull out. However, Obama has already pulled out the combat troops.

Afghanistan. Again, Obama inherited that war from Bush Jr. We should have actually gone into Afghanistan rather than Iraq, but Jr. was too fucking blinded by payback for his father and oil.

Libya. It's not a war yet. Oh yeah.....you DO realize that Congress passed a resolution in support of a no fly zone in Libya a full 10 days prior to Obama taking action? Rand Paul even voted in favor of it.
Try again stupid.

Speaking of which...

msnbc.com Video Player

So here is what I found so far, just a quote from Rand Pauls people... I will have to find out more before I defend Paul but this was with less than a few min of looking... Sooo, if this is true, what then? Bet you look for another dumbshit that attacks Rand without doing an ounce of homework...

The Paul staff told Free Man In Kentucky "There wasn't a vote. It was rushed through by Unanimous Consent, with no debate or discussion about what was in it. We didn't even get to see what it was, and Senator Paul never voted on it. Also, Senator Paul didn't even have a chance to object to it because the resolution--which is non-binding-- was in and out before he made it back to the floor."

Last night, Lawrence O'donnell did a rewrite section on his show about this. Incidentally, Mr. O'donnell served for 7 years in the U.S. Senate as a Senator, so yeah, I think he knows a thing or two about this.

Unanimous consent incidentally, is how MOST of the laws get passed by the way, and no, according to the way it's done, it was NOT rushed through at the last 45 seconds of the day.

Rand Paul is lying to his constituents.

Check out what Mr. O'donnell has to say about this....

The Last Word

I'm reminded of all their screeching when the US didn't get involved at all in the uprising in Iran two summers ago following their election. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. But hey, it's Obama, so it's to be expected. Whatever he does, or will do, will be met with mob mentality.

Forum List

Back