Obama set's back Iran's nuclear program by years

But Obama did actually mistakenly say 57 states. Gore did not say he invented the internet. A pundant turned the word create and turned it into invent. It's an often repeated lie that many people believe. Some I suspect chose to believe it even though they know it's a lie.

Because "I took the initiative in creating the Internet" can easily be spun into "I invented the internet"...

And the truth is, you dont even need to spin "I took the initiative in creating the Internet"....the words alone IN THAT ORDER can easily mean that he is taking claim to inventing the interent.

The snopes article explains the difference between create and invent. And in fact he did sponsor the legislation that helped create the internet we know.

yes...and his words were spun.
So are every politicians words spun.
It leads to some great political humor.
No one truly believes that Al Gore thinks he invented the internet.

Stuxnet A U.S.-Israeli Joint Effort?

The worm itself now appears to have included two major components. One was designed to send Iran’s nuclear centrifuges spinning wildly out of control. Another seems right out of the movies: The computer program also secretly recorded what normal operations at the nuclear plant looked like, then played those readings back to plant operators, like a pre-recorded security tape in a bank heist, so that it would appear that everything was operating normally while the centrifuges were actually tearing themselves apart.

President Obama, first briefed on the program even before taking office, sped it up, according to officials familiar with the administration’s Iran strategy.

stuxnet-b-570x412.jpg

So glad Republicans left this for Obama to do. Could you imagine leaving technological warfare in the hands of Republicans? A political party that doesn't believe in science? A party that sends our technology to China?

Lets assume this story is true, and we have destroyed some of Irans property.

We have not declared war on Iran, therefore we can not legally destroy thier property.

It's a war crime.

Obama is a war mongering war criminal.

Whatcha say lefties?

This is a spook knife fight.

Been done for decades to avoid total war.

The worm itself now appears to have included two major components. One was designed to send Iran’s nuclear centrifuges spinning wildly out of control. Another seems right out of the movies: The computer program also secretly recorded what normal operations at the nuclear plant looked like, then played those readings back to plant operators, like a pre-recorded security tape in a bank heist, so that it would appear that everything was operating normally while the centrifuges were actually tearing themselves apart.

President Obama, first briefed on the program even before taking office, sped it up, according to officials familiar with the administration’s Iran strategy.

stuxnet-b-570x412.jpg

So glad Republicans left this for Obama to do. Could you imagine leaving technological warfare in the hands of Republicans? A political party that doesn't believe in science? A party that sends our technology to China?

We have not declared war on Iran, therefore we can not legally destroy thier property.

It's a war crime.

Whatcha say lefties?

Putting aside the rhetoric...

It is no doubt a smart move to avoid a military action.
But...
It is no doubt reason for Iran to declare a war against us.

Will be interesting to see how "sane" that guy is..

And yes, I know his name, but cant spell it...so I went with "that guy"....

U.S. on Alert Over Stuxnet Virus Threat

Virus Targeting Iran's Nuclear Sites Could Spread To Industries Around World, Experts Say

(AP) A malicious computer attack that appears to target Iran's nuclear plants can be modified to wreak havoc on industrial control systems around the world, affecting the production of everything from chemicals to baby formula, government officials and cyberexperts warned Wednesday.

Experts told senators that attackers can use information made public about the so-called Stuxnet virus to develop variations targeting other industries, and that the worm's consequences go "beyond any threat we have seen."

The code has attacked industrial sites in Iran and several other countries, and infected several employees' laptops at the Bushehr nuclear plans. Iran has said it believes Stuxnet is part of a Western plot to sabotage its nuclear program, but experts see few signs of major damage at Iranian facilities.

Specific industrial control systems using Windows software are vulnerable to the code. These are used in many critical sectors, from automobile assembly to mixing products such as chemicals and baby formula, Sean McGurk, acting director of Homeland Security's national cybersecurity operations center, told the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

"This code can automatically enter a system, steal the formula for the product you are manufacturing, alter the ingredients being mixed in your product and indicate to the operator and your antivirus software that everything is functioning as expected," McGurk testified at a cybersecurity hearing.

Dean Turner, director of the Global Intelligence Network at Symantec Corp., told the panel that the worm showed that such attacks were possible. The "real-world implications of Stuxnet are beyond any threat we have seen in the past," he said.

Stuxnet Clues Point to Uranium Enrichment Target

Stuxnet: Fact vs. Theory

But Turner added that the code's highly sophisticated structure and techniques also could mean that it is a one-in-a-decade occurrence. The virus is so complex and costly to develop "that a select few attackers would be capable of producing a similar threat," he said. "We would not expect masses of threats of similar sophistication to suddenly appear."

Experts said governments and industries can do much more to protect critical systems.

Michael Assante, who heads the newly created, not-for-profit National Board of Information Security Examiners, told lawmakers that control systems need to be walled off from other networks to make it harder for hackers to access them.

"We can no longer ignore known system weaknesses and simply accept current system limitations," he said. "We must admit that our current security strategies are too disjointed and are often, in unintended ways, working against our efforts to address" cybersecurity challenges.

Assante said leaders must understand that the most dangerous attacks won't disable a system, but instead will take control of it and manipulate it to trigger accidents or unintended action.

U.S. on Alert Over Stuxnet Virus Threat - CBS News

Everybody patting themselves on the back.

Democrats .. Obama did it.

Republicans .. Bush did it.

When in fact, like our testing of the nuclear bomb on citizens in Japan, we may have once again unleashed something we cannot control and may come right back to bite us in the ass.

... all in a futile attempt to keep Iran from acquiring what both Isreal and the US possess .. and both threaten to use.

Incredible

Which side will be rushing to take credit then.

Last edited:
Why on earth are you detracting from who is really responsible. We all know none of this was possible without Al Gore. He invented the Internet. He deserves all the credit.

Do you get all your facts from paraphrasing pundits?

snopes.com: Al Gore Invented the Internet

Here's Al

"I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

So who was it that took "I took the initiative in creating the Internet." to mean "I invented the internet"? Why does the myth persist?

How is it a myth when you just quoted him stating that he created the Internet?

Seriously, if you are going to claim something is a myth, it helps if you don't quote him saying spedifically that.

It also helps "the myth" that the guys, one being Vint Cerf, that actually "created" the internet...gave Al Gore an award for all his help.

Gore to get lifetime award for Internet - Technology & science - Tech and gadgets - msnbc.com

stuxnet-b-570x412.jpg

It's a war crime.

Whatcha say lefties?

Sure. And I'd rather that than anything else.

I was just pointing out the double standard.

If this happened under Bush (and I think it was developed under him) there would be talk of war crimes and D a r t h Cheney using the force against poor little Iran.

The draw back to things like this is that both sides get to claim a win.

We claim a win b/c we need the PR
Iran claims it b/c they want to be seen as better than USA and Israel.

Did you note the irony in the op?

rdean is an anti-zionist that just touted the Mossad.

Plus we must remind him how quickly N, Korea wnet Nuclear because of clinton:lol:

That's not accurate at all. In fact the opposite happened.

Of course. But that is not historically correct.

What?

Clinton slowed down the development of Nuclear weapons in North Korea.

In exchange for inspections, the Clinton Administration promised North Korea a light water reactor..the type that does not generate bomb grade materials.

They had a heavy water reactor from the Russians..the type that does generate bomb grade material.

The deal later fell through and the North Koreans went ahead and possibly made a couple of bombs.

And it seems they had a disastrous test that may have blown up the people who developed it along with a mountain top. My own opinion is they may "have" a couple that are unreliable and do not have a proper deliver system.

It's a war crime.

Whatcha say lefties?

But...

I go with

ahmadinnerjacket

No one has asked who I was taking about in around 2 years.

I know this is derailing thiss thread but what the hell it's an rdean blame Buoooosh blame Republican thread so I don't give a shit

While Carter was president N. Keroa was working on nuclear weapons we shall start here
I will add my sources starts at 1986 but they could not have gotten to the point they were at without working on nuclear weapons before 1986

President George H. W. Bush

1991: U.S. begins talks with North Korea to end to nuclear program.

1992: North Korea has separated an estimated 0-10kg of weapons-grade plutonium, enough for 1 to 2 bombs.

President Clinton
1993: North Korea announces it will leave nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty; U.S. prepares to attack nuclear sites.

1994: Clinton Administration reaches Agreed Framework, North Korea freezes nuclear production for the next eight years.

August 1998: North Korea tests medium-range “Taep’o-dong-1″ missile.

December 1998: North Korea warns they will test another missile, but pressure from US dissuades them.

September 1999: Pyongyang agrees to long-range missile moratorium.

October 2000: Secretary of State Madeleine Albright is highest ranking US official to ever meet with Kim Jong Il.

North Korea Nuclear Timeline

You can't go from no nuc. and peace taklks and then all of a sudden have nuc. just isn't possible.

Last edited:
U.S. on Alert Over Stuxnet Virus Threat

Virus Targeting Iran's Nuclear Sites Could Spread To Industries Around World, Experts Say

(AP) A malicious computer attack that appears to target Iran's nuclear plants can be modified to wreak havoc on industrial control systems around the world, affecting the production of everything from chemicals to baby formula, government officials and cyberexperts warned Wednesday.

Experts told senators that attackers can use information made public about the so-called Stuxnet virus to develop variations targeting other industries, and that the worm's consequences go "beyond any threat we have seen."

The code has attacked industrial sites in Iran and several other countries, and infected several employees' laptops at the Bushehr nuclear plans. Iran has said it believes Stuxnet is part of a Western plot to sabotage its nuclear program, but experts see few signs of major damage at Iranian facilities.

Specific industrial control systems using Windows software are vulnerable to the code. These are used in many critical sectors, from automobile assembly to mixing products such as chemicals and baby formula, Sean McGurk, acting director of Homeland Security's national cybersecurity operations center, told the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

"This code can automatically enter a system, steal the formula for the product you are manufacturing, alter the ingredients being mixed in your product and indicate to the operator and your antivirus software that everything is functioning as expected," McGurk testified at a cybersecurity hearing.

Dean Turner, director of the Global Intelligence Network at Symantec Corp., told the panel that the worm showed that such attacks were possible. The "real-world implications of Stuxnet are beyond any threat we have seen in the past," he said.

Stuxnet Clues Point to Uranium Enrichment Target

Stuxnet: Fact vs. Theory

But Turner added that the code's highly sophisticated structure and techniques also could mean that it is a one-in-a-decade occurrence. The virus is so complex and costly to develop "that a select few attackers would be capable of producing a similar threat," he said. "We would not expect masses of threats of similar sophistication to suddenly appear."

Experts said governments and industries can do much more to protect critical systems.

Michael Assante, who heads the newly created, not-for-profit National Board of Information Security Examiners, told lawmakers that control systems need to be walled off from other networks to make it harder for hackers to access them.

"We can no longer ignore known system weaknesses and simply accept current system limitations," he said. "We must admit that our current security strategies are too disjointed and are often, in unintended ways, working against our efforts to address" cybersecurity challenges.

Assante said leaders must understand that the most dangerous attacks won't disable a system, but instead will take control of it and manipulate it to trigger accidents or unintended action.

U.S. on Alert Over Stuxnet Virus Threat - CBS News

Everybody patting themselves on the back.

Democrats .. Obama did it.

Republicans .. Bush did it.

When in fact, like our testing of the nuclear bomb on citizens in Japan, we may have once again unleashed something we cannot control and may come right back to bite us in the ass.

... all in a futile attempt to keep Iran from acquiring what both Isreal and the US possess .. and both threaten to use.

Incredible

Which side will be rushing to take credit then.

Cry HAVOK! and let slip the hounds of war!

hahaha

Got bisquits to keep them from killing us?

It's a war crime.

Whatcha say lefties?

Sure. And I'd rather that than anything else.

I was just pointing out the double standard.

If this happened under Bush (and I think it was developed under him) there would be talk of war crimes and D a r t h Cheney using the force against poor little Iran.

The draw back to things like this is that both sides get to claim a win.

We claim a win b/c we need the PR
Iran claims it b/c they want to be seen as better than USA and Israel.

Did you note the irony in the op?

rdean is an anti-zionist that just touted the Mossad.

I can't speak for other posters..

But I much prefer spook operations to all out war. While I understand there is a need for this sort of thing..it shouldn't be done frequently. Kermit Roosevelt's spook ops started the whole mess in the first place.

But this was a smart move with a good outcome. But the President should continue to deny any knowledge of this operation.

I know this is derailing thiss thread but what the hell it's an rdean blame Buoooosh blame Republican thread so I don't give a shit

While Carter was president N. Keroa was working on nuclear weapons we shall start here
I will add my sources starts at 1986 but they could not have gotten to the point they were at without working on nuclear weapons before 1986

President George H. W. Bush

1991: U.S. begins talks with North Korea to end to nuclear program.

1992: North Korea has separated an estimated 0-10kg of weapons-grade plutonium, enough for 1 to 2 bombs.

President Clinton
1993: North Korea announces it will leave nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty; U.S. prepares to attack nuclear sites.

1994: Clinton Administration reaches Agreed Framework, North Korea freezes nuclear production for the next eight years.

August 1998: North Korea tests medium-range “Taep’o-dong-1″ missile.

December 1998: North Korea warns they will test another missile, but pressure from US dissuades them.

September 1999: Pyongyang agrees to long-range missile moratorium.

October 2000: Secretary of State Madeleine Albright is highest ranking US official to ever meet with Kim Jong Il.

North Korea Nuclear Timeline

You can't go from no nuc. and peace taklks and then all of a sudden have nuc. just isn't possible.

Again.

They had a Soviet Heavy Water Reactor. The type that generates bomb grade materials.

North KoreaFor more details on this topic, see Nuclear power in North Korea.
[edit] Power station reactorsYongbyon
Yongbyon 2 - 50 MWe Magnox reactor (construction suspended 1994)
Taechon (20 km from Yongbyon)
Taechon 1 - 200 MWe reactor (construction suspended 1994)
Kumho (30 km north of Sinpo), see KEDO
Kumho 1 - PWR 1000 MWe (construction suspended 2003)
Kumho 2 - PWR 1000 MWe (construction suspended 2003)
[edit] Research and production reactorsYongbyon
IRT-2000 - 8 MWt (2MWt 1965-1974, 4MWt 1974-1986) heavy-water moderated research reactor (supplied by USSR, 1965)
Yongbyon 1 - 5 MWe Magnox reactor, provides power and district heating (active 1987-1994, reactivated 2003, and shut-down in July 2007)
List of nuclear reactors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why on earth are you detracting from who is really responsible. We all know none of this was possible without Al Gore. He invented the Internet. He deserves all the credit.

Do you get all your facts from paraphrasing pundits?

snopes.com: Al Gore Invented the Internet

Here's Al

"I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

So who was it that took "I took the initiative in creating the Internet." to mean "I invented the internet"? Why does the myth persist?

How is it a myth when you just quoted him stating that he created the Internet?

Seriously, if you are going to claim something is a myth, it helps if you don't quote him saying spedifically that.

It is a lie, a falsehood, a myth to say Al Gore said he invented the internet, period. Like Ike "created" the interstate highway system he did not "invent" the technology needed to build super highways.

But...

I go with

ahmadinnerjacket

No one has asked who I was taking about in around 2 years.

His name is simple. "I'm A Jihad"

It is a lie, a falsehood, a myth to say Al Gore said he invented the internet, period. Like Ike "created" the interstate highway system he did not "invent" the technology needed to build super highways.

You quoted him stating that he created the internet. It's not my fault Al Gore is a narcissistic liar.

Because "I took the initiative in creating the Internet" can easily be spun into "I invented the internet"...

And the truth is, you dont even need to spin "I took the initiative in creating the Internet"....the words alone IN THAT ORDER can easily mean that he is taking claim to inventing the interent.

The snopes article explains the difference between create and invent. And in fact he did sponsor the legislation that helped create the internet we know.

yes...and his words were spun.
So are every politicians words spun.
It leads to some great political humor.
No one truly believes that Al Gore thinks he invented the internet.

Well no one with a working brain at least.

It's a war crime.

Whatcha say lefties?

But...

Iran has not started a war in decades..arguably centuries..

And the parameters I am using is initiating a conventional war.

Last edited:

You quoted him stating that he created the internet. It's not my fault Al Gore is a narcissistic liar.

You calling Vint Cerf a narrissistic liar as well?

Forum List

Back