Obama Sets 2010 Date for Ending Iraq War

There's an old Army saying that "no battle plans survives contact with the enemy." All that really means is that when it comes to military situations, they are fluid and unpredictable. By setting a date, President Obama is making a big mistake because now the American people are going to circle it on their calendars and expect him to deliver. Doesn't matter if the situation changes (for example, if Iran were to become more aggressive in the region, the US would be compelled to use Iraq as a forward staging base---that's a fundamental principle of war).

This is one of the disadvantages of having a president who has never served in the military.

That is bullshit, the US will have permanent bases in Iraq (like they have in Europe, Saudi Arabia, ... ), Iraq can still be a forward staging base even if the majority of "occupation troops" are out of Iraq. Besides why should american troops secure Iraq if Iraqi troops can do it?
It is still their country, right?

In the harsh reality of military strategy, the world is our stage.

We have an agreement with the Iraqis that all American troops would leave Iraq by 2011. If non-combat troops are left there until 2011, who cares? The war is over already, bring the troops home. Thank you, Obama! This is what we hired you for.

Depending on how the economy shakes out we might or might not have troops in Iraq in ten years.

I suspect we're going to start pulling troops out of place all over the world soon because we're not going to have any choice.

Empire isn't cheap.

Depending on how the economy shakes out we might or might not have troops in Iraq in ten years.

I suspect we're going to start pulling troops out of place all over the world soon because we're not going to have any choice.

Empire isn't cheap.

True. Military power is an extension of economic power. Can't have one without the other.

My prediction: Obama will keep a minimum of 35,000 troops in Iraq until at least 2012.

I would hate to be the 35 thousand left there.. Now, after all the grandiose big assed announcements I'm sure the insurgency aka, freedom fighters will know just how to dispatch with them..

What a DUmbazz we have running this country.. :cuckoo:

Yeah, he definitely needs more advisors like you.

So... you're saying we're still at war in Iraq?

Are you sure?

News from Iraq slowed WAY DOWN around the November election and all but stopped shortly before President Bush left office and I haven't heard a WORD about Iraq in roughly a MONTH...

So I just assumed that whole thing was over...

Don't get out much, do ya? Computer and TV busted too?

There's an old Army saying that "no battle plans survives contact with the enemy." All that really means is that when it comes to military situations, they are fluid and unpredictable. By setting a date, President Obama is making a big mistake because now the American people are going to circle it on their calendars and expect him to deliver. Doesn't matter if the situation changes (for example, if Iran were to become more aggressive in the region, the US would be compelled to use Iraq as a forward staging base---that's a fundamental principle of war).

This is one of the disadvantages of having a president who has never served in the military.

So you'd have to go all the way back to Bush 41 to find one who actually saw action, and all the way back to Eisenhower for strategic combat experience. Your point is moot.

Obama told top leaders in Congress on Thursday that he will end combat operations in Iraq on Aug. 31, 2010, putting a halt to all U.S.-led counterinsurgency efforts and transitioning the mission in Iraq to training, advising and engaging in limited counter-terrorist operations, congressional sources tell FOX News.

is expected to deliver a speech Friday at the Marine base in Camp Lejeune, N.C, in which he will order an immediate drawdown of the 142,000 Marines and Army personnel in Iraq. He has set a goal of reducing the U.S. military footprint in Iraq to no fewer than 35,000 and no more than 50,000 personnel after that date, congressional leaders were told.

Obama Sets 2010 Date for Ending Iraq War - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

oh well, so much for "I'm gonna bring the troops home"" translation,, "I'm going to leave 1/3 of the troops there indefinitely" so you kos koolaid drinkers can just stfu.. :lol::lol::lol:

Which part of this is just too tough for you to comprehend?

The president will order U.S. military commanders to leave a residual force of between 35,000 and 50,000 troops in Iraq. Under the Status of Forces Agreement with the Iraqi government, the U.S. must remove all military personnel by Dec. 31, 2011.

The move reflects the consensus plan presented to Obama by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, Army Gen. Ray Odierno, the top military commander in Iraq, Army Gen. David Petraeus, head of U.S. Central Command, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mike Mullen, and the president's top intelligence officials.

If only he could end the war on drugs and poverty as easily.
well, if he did that he would both please and piss off half his supporters

LOL

Ya think? Get yerseff ejucated. This deals with deaths from overdoses but it frames a picture of who and where drug use is on the rise.

Drug Overdose - Drug Overdose Deaths Double in Five Years

Excerpts:

Groups With Highest Increases
According to the CDC report, these groups had the highest increases in deaths by drug overdose between 1999 and 2004:

•Females - 103.0 percent

•Whites - 75.8 percent

•Persons in the southern United States - 113.6 percent

•Persons aged 15-24 years - 113.3 percent

It's Not the Inner Cities
Although drug overdose deaths are historically associated with urban areas, the latest figures from the CDC show the greatest increases in rural areas between 1999 and 2004.
This finding coincides with other research that shows prescription drug abuse, especially of painkillers, is increasing more rapidly in rural areas.

Rates increased during the five-year period by less than one-third in the Northeast and West but more than doubled in the South and nearly doubled in the Midwest. Rates doubled in 23 states, with West Virginia showing the greatest increase with 550 percent.

And suppose the enemy refuses to end the war on the target date, what happens in that case?

Since we've spent an enormous amount of your tax dollars <gasp> training a new Iraqi Army, it will be up to them. Just the way Maliki AND THE IRAQI PEOPLE want it.

Forum List

Back