Obama: Senate? What Senate?

(R)IGHTeous 1

GOPROUD
Dec 5, 2010
southeast Pennsylvania
Yet another disgusting, festering state sponsor of Islamic terrorism that needs to be bombed into dust.

Republicans blast Obama for posting new Syrian envoy
By HILARY LEILA KRIEGER, JPOST CORRESPONDENT
12/30/2010 03:20

Decision to return envoy to Damascus indicates administration has not changed its engagement policy with Syria, Mideast expert says.

WASHINGTON * -- Republicans lashed out at the White House for making a recess appointment of Robert Ford as US ambassador to Syria Wednesday after efforts to have him confirmed by the Senate stalled.

Ford will be the first US ambassador to Syria since 2005, when the US ambassador then in place was recalled by the Bush administration following the assassination of the anti-Syrian Lebanese leader Rafik Hariri, widely suspected to have been done with the help of Damascus.

Using this Congressional recess to make an appointment that has far-reaching policy implications despite Congressional objections and concerns is regrettable," said Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Florida), the incoming House Foreign Affairs Committee chairwoman.

"Making underserved concessions to Syria tells the regime in Damascus that it can continue to pursue its dangerous agenda and not face any consequences from the US," she said in a statement. "That is the wrong message to be sending to a regime which continues to harm and threaten US interests and those of such critical allies as Israel."

You apparently didn't get the memo: If we just make nice, they'll love us.

Obama's just making nice.

:eusa_drool:

He's got the presidential right to do it, same as others have.

The rest of us have the right to pass judgment on it and the rest of what he's done first term in November 2012.

Yet another disgusting, festering state sponsor of Islamic terrorism that needs to be bombed into dust.

Decision to return envoy to Damascus indicates administration has not changed its engagement policy with Syria, Mideast expert says.

WASHINGTON * -- Republicans lashed out at the White House for making a recess appointment of Robert Ford as US ambassador to Syria Wednesday after efforts to have him confirmed by the Senate stalled.

Ford will be the first US ambassador to Syria since 2005, when the US ambassador then in place was recalled by the Bush administration following the assassination of the anti-Syrian Lebanese leader Rafik Hariri, widely suspected to have been done with the help of Damascus.

Using this Congressional recess to make an appointment that has far-reaching policy implications despite Congressional objections and concerns is regrettable," said Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Florida), the incoming House Foreign Affairs Committee chairwoman.

"Making underserved concessions to Syria tells the regime in Damascus that it can continue to pursue its dangerous agenda and not face any consequences from the US," she said in a statement. "That is the wrong message to be sending to a regime which continues to harm and threaten US interests and those of such critical allies as Israel."

The GOP is playing stupid games with this. Ford is a genius and honestly the best person to put in that role as long as his advice is taken. NOBODY knows the dynamic and Syria specifically more than that guy. If Bremer had listened to him when he was an advisor to the CPA, Iraq would have turned out much better.

Let's just say this to the crowd that wants every diplomatic effort to be made: Ford's your guy. He knows how to get things done.

Let's just say this to the crowd that thinks diplomacy with Syria is a lost cause: Ford's your guy because if he can't get things done it's impossible and even the freaking anti-war crowd will be calling for an invasion.

This is the guy who I met when I was struggling with my first year of Arabic. He told me, "don't worry so much, Arabic is only hard for the first 20 years." His stance on how to shape things in the Middle East is shockingly astute. I honestly wish he had gotten out of the Foreign Service in the 1990s and gone into Economics. He'd be Fed Chairman by now and we'd all be better off. It shows how Byzantine the State Department is that Obama picked Hillary (not a bad SECSTATE herself) instead of him. Her diplomatic credentials are: adversary in a tough primary, Senator from New York, and at one time probably boned the President of the United States. His? All that stuff that goes behind the scenes that most people don't even know can happen.

Ford is the real deal. Excellent choice and one that is sorely needed right now.

asterism wrote:

Let's just say this to the crowd that thinks diplomacy with Syria is a lost cause: Ford's your guy because if he can't get things done it's impossible and even the freaking anti-war crowd will be calling for an invasion.
Meh.....I want it bombed, bombed now, bombed hard. We've allowed them to poison Middle Eastern affairs and peace progress for waaaaaay too long now.

The GOP is playing stupid games with this. Ford is a genius and honestly the best person to put in that role as long as his advice is taken. NOBODY knows the dynamic and Syria specifically more than that guy. If Bremer had listened to him when he was an advisor to the CPA, Iraq would have turned out much better.

Let's just say this to the crowd that wants every diplomatic effort to be made: Ford's your guy. He knows how to get things done.

This is the guy who I met when I was struggling with my first year of Arabic. He told me, "don't worry so much, Arabic is only hard for the first 20 years." His stance on how to shape things in the Middle East is shockingly astute. I honestly wish he had gotten out of the Foreign Service in the 1990s and gone into Economics. He'd be Fed Chairman by now and we'd all be better off. It shows how Byzantine the State Department is that Obama picked Hillary (not a bad SECSTATE herself) instead of him. Her diplomatic credentials are: adversary in a tough primary, Senator from New York, and at one time probably boned the President of the United States. His? All that stuff that goes behind the scenes that most people don't even know can happen.

Ford is the real deal. Excellent choice and one that is sorely needed right now.

I agree about Ford. Whether or not we should be sending an Envoy is a different issue... but, if we are to send one, Ford is a good choice.

asterism wrote:

Meh.....I want it bombed, bombed now, bombed hard. We've allowed them to poison Middle Eastern affairs and peace progress for waaaaaay too long now.

If that's the best course of action we've got the right guy in there to find out.

Forum List

Back