Obama selling out our own college graduates?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jBb70Dc3Ug&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Jobless engineer's wife questions Pres. Obama about 1 million new immigrants a year - YouTube[/ame]

I don't like NumbersUSA -- but they are correct on this account..

Even tho there are AMPLE openings in the tech field right now -- they are often filled by H1B visa workers requiring substantially lower wages. If we want to fill our Grad schools with AMERICAN kids, we have to show them that the DEMAND for those skills is gonna make it worth their while..

Dirty little Silicon Valley secret BTW is --- A LOT of the H1B workers are hired because the OWNER or MANAGEMENT is from the home country. I've been in dozens of "chinese" shops or "indian" shops where all I understood (unless they were talking with me) was the American slang and cuss words.

That's just personal preference to populate those tech communities with solid UNIculturalism..
But we shouldn't make them comfortable if it means graduates and American workers are gonna be left unemployed.

On this I'll agree with you:

Attracting the Best and the Brightest

To ensure that America continues to lead the world in innovation and economic dynamism, ... would press for an immigration policy designed to maximize America’s economic potential. The United States needs to attract and retain job creators from wherever they come. Foreign-born residents with advanced degrees start companies, create jobs, and drive innovation at an especially high rate. While lawful immigrants comprise about 8 percent of the population, immigrants start 16 percent of our top-performing, high-technology companies, hold the position of CEO or lead engineer in 25 percent of high-tech firms, and produce over 25 percent of all patent applications filed from the United States.

[Initiatives include]

Raise visa caps for highly skilled workers

Grant permanent residency to eligible graduates with advanced degrees in math, science, and engineering

What do you think about those plans?

I don't like NumbersUSA -- but they are correct on this account..

Even tho there are AMPLE openings in the tech field right now -- they are often filled by H1B visa workers requiring substantially lower wages. If we want to fill our Grad schools with AMERICAN kids, we have to show them that the DEMAND for those skills is gonna make it worth their while..

Dirty little Silicon Valley secret BTW is --- A LOT of the H1B workers are hired because the OWNER or MANAGEMENT is from the home country. I've been in dozens of "chinese" shops or "indian" shops where all I understood (unless they were talking with me) was the American slang and cuss words.

That's just personal preference to populate those tech communities with solid UNIculturalism..
But we shouldn't make them comfortable if it means graduates and American workers are gonna be left unemployed.

Good post.

Obama cares more about the rest of the world than Americans. Where are all these trillions going to? Not to the poor or the middle class! Nope, not to better our own children or nation....It is unbelievable.

Last edited:

To ensure that America continues to lead the world in innovation and economic dynamism, ... would press for an immigration policy designed to maximize America’s economic potential. The United States needs to attract and retain job creators from wherever they come. Foreign-born residents with advanced degrees start companies, create jobs, and drive innovation at an especially high rate. While lawful immigrants comprise about 8 percent of the population, immigrants start 16 percent of our top-performing, high-technology companies, hold the position of CEO or lead engineer in 25 percent of high-tech firms, and produce over 25 percent of all patent applications filed from the United States.[Initiatives include]

Grant permanent residency to eligible graduates with advanced degrees in math, science, and engineering

Certainly do NOT need to raise quotas higher. At least not for High Tech slots. Faced with the clear contraction of the US workforce, these are exactly the jobs that will lead us out of recession. And I'd prefer that Americans do those jobs. If we're not turning enough in the science, tech, engineering, areas --- then THAT'S what has to be fixed.

The bolded part above is certainly true. And I appreciate the contribution HERE in the US. I've worked with and for a number of excellent immigrants. But we need to encourage OUR kids to fill those slots. Or this contraction will never end..

And DEFINATELY NOT "Grant permanent residency to eligible graduates with advanced degrees in math, science, and engineering". If anything -- we should grant preference to American students in our tech. Grad Schools and not fill them out with Foreign students.

Those schools are one of our "proprietary resources" and should be serving OUR future needs.

And yes Candy -- I KNOW who's platform that is.. It's ill-conceived, but not much diff from tweedle-dee.

Last edited:

To ensure that America continues to lead the world in innovation and economic dynamism, ... would press for an immigration policy designed to maximize America’s economic potential. The United States needs to attract and retain job creators from wherever they come. Foreign-born residents with advanced degrees start companies, create jobs, and drive innovation at an especially high rate. While lawful immigrants comprise about 8 percent of the population, immigrants start 16 percent of our top-performing, high-technology companies, hold the position of CEO or lead engineer in 25 percent of high-tech firms, and produce over 25 percent of all patent applications filed from the United States.[Initiatives include]

Certainly do NOT need to raise quotas higher. At least not for High Tech slots. Faced with the clear contraction of the US workforce, these are exactly the jobs that will lead us out of recession. And I'd prefer that Americans do those jobs. If we're not turning enough in the science, tech, engineering, areas --- then THAT'S what has to be fixed.

The bolded part above is certainly true. And I appreciate the contribution HERE in the US. I've worked with and for a number of excellent immigrants. But we need to encourage OUR kids to fill those slots. Or this contraction will never end..

And DEFINATELY NOT "Grant permanent residency to eligible graduates with advanced degrees in math, science, and engineering". If anything -- we should grant preference to American students in our tech. Grad Schools and not fill them out with Foreign students.

Those schools are one of our "proprietary resources" and should be serving OUR future needs.

And yes Candy -- I KNOW who's platform that is.. It's ill-conceived, but not much diff from tweedle-dee.

It's basically the anti-thesis of the complaint in the OP. Yet guess who grumps is voting for.

American kids cannot compete and it is not Obama's fault for that. We have to deal with people who feel cutting education is a great idea, and people who feel that teching things like creationism as science are ways to help our students compete. This is all great if we still had a bubble of middle management ho really did not need a higher education, but that time is over. When you need a well educated person who knows their field all but a couple of american colleges fail.

Now there is a problem with immigration, but it certainly is not coming from mexicans taking the higher paying jobs. It is europeans, asians, and the middle east who are allowed immigration to the US who are taking a lot of the high paying jobs. Do you know that mny people who were getting an absolutely free education over in england planned on going to the US to make their money because they could easily get above americans with college, and in their own country they cannot compete?

The biggest problem in the US is that teachers have no accountability, especially if tenured. One area i do agree with certain republicans is that teachers should be easily terminated for failure. neither party wants to address the fact that there should eb a national standard for education that should only be going up, and never be lowered because the students fail. Right now when a bunch of students fail they assume the test is to hard and lower the standards to meet with no child left behind. I know it is hard luck, but the kids should be left behind and the teachers replaced when large numbers of students cannot pass standardized tests. Neither party is asking for such things.

One also has to realize that as more kids get a bachelors degree it means so much less. Wholesale selling of low end college degrees makes them worthless. An associates degree is what high school diplomas should be. Bachelors are where the associates should be, and a masters is where you first get set ahead of others.

In the end it is far more likely Obama will do something than the guy who simply wants to rid the US of any educational standards. If one can explain to me how getting rid of teaching positions is going to help improve education i would love to hear it. If we want to get rid of some positions I would say lets get rid of a shitton of administration, and cut the useless high school psych people and a lot of guidance counselors. We certainly do not need a moron making over 250k for each school district whos biggest most important job is calling snowdays. We do not need expensive school shrinks making over 100k to tell parents their kid needs a real shrink. No matter what a guidance counselor is pad we certainly do not need them to tell kids how to fill out a college application and shoot low.

Uh Candy -- It really is tweedle -dee and -dum...

ImmigrationReform 2012 - News for Start Up Visa, H4 Working Visa, E3 Extensions - Bills Proposed

The President is deeply committed to fixing our broken immigration system so that it meets our 21st century national security and economic needs.As a part of comprehensive immigration reform, the US President supports legislative measures that would attract and retain immigrants who create jobs and boost competitiveness here in the U.S., including creating a "Startup Visa," strengthening the H1B program, and "stapling" green cards to the diplomas of certain foreign-born graduates in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields.

Don't expect this to change a lot.. I'd rather have requests come from EMPLOYERS than just stapling Green Cards to diplomas..

The current number HAS been reduced. Used to be much higher. And these VISAs ARE required. They just shouldn't be ABUSED or used to pander to students.

Most likely Romney but for other reasons. Can't agree with everything someone proposes no matter who they are.

Yeah...starting a thread to protest something your candidate embraces may not be the best way to get anyone to join you.

I don't see any protest. I do see an ad that caught my attention so I shared it. I also saw a couple responses and a troll.

ZERO federal aid for my kid's college.

Guess one has to be a welfare case fuck up to qualify.

Oh well - pay my taxes - pay tuition for these fucking welfare cases.

Food stamps not enough I guess. Gotta pay for their kids as well.

Pathetic

Obama cares more about the rest of the world than Americans. Where are all these trillions going to? Not to the poor or the middle class! Nope, not to better our own children or nation....It is unbelievable.

What happens to "American exceptionalism", if we don't let the exceptional in? This smacks of a CON version of Affirmative Action! :eusa_eh:

What happens to "American exceptionalism", if we don't let the exceptional in? This smacks of a CON version of Affirmative Action! :eusa_eh:

How about worrying about our people and let those peoples' countries worry about their people? Unless you don't believe that those countries need to have smart people. :eusa_shifty:

The third world will always be that way until they educate their youths to become the drivers of more. Just sending millions of people north into our country isn't going to make that so.

Last edited:

To ensure that America continues to lead the world in innovation and economic dynamism, ... would press for an immigration policy designed to maximize America’s economic potential. The United States needs to attract and retain job creators from wherever they come. Foreign-born residents with advanced degrees start companies, create jobs, and drive innovation at an especially high rate. While lawful immigrants comprise about 8 percent of the population, immigrants start 16 percent of our top-performing, high-technology companies, hold the position of CEO or lead engineer in 25 percent of high-tech firms, and produce over 25 percent of all patent applications filed from the United States.

[Initiatives include]

I'd say they're an admission that liberal-controlled education is an utter failure.

[Initiatives include]

I'd say they're an admission that liberal-controlled education is an utter failure.

So you support the plan to hire more foreigners?

Forum List

Back