Obama Seeks to Change Crack Sentences

crack was a major problem in the 80s, far worse than cocaine, so yes, there is justification...

Drop in Homicide Rate Linked to Crack's Decline

The Justice Department report, commissioned by Attorney General Janet Reno, acknowledges that improved police work, along with longer prison sentences and improved emergency medical care, have all contributed to the lower homicide rate.

Drop in Homicide Rate Linked to Crack's Decline - The New York Times

why is this in race?

Probably because of the racial implications of the 100 to 1 policy on crack vs. powdered cocaine. Because blacks tended to use crack and whites powdered, blacks were getting far longer prison sentences for the same amount of cocaine.

the law is neutral as to race. just because blacks used a drug more does not make the law racist. the law worked as i posted above. if obama is successful in getting the sentences reduced, i only hope we don't go back to the 1980's homicide levels as i posted above.

the law is neutral as to race. just because blacks used a drug more does not make the law racist. the law worked as i posted above. if obama is successful in getting the sentences reduced, i only hope we don't go back to the 1980's homicide levels as i posted above.

Otherwise nuetral rules and laws can have a discriminatory effect if they focus on attributes associate with one race.

why is this in race?
Probably because of the racial implications of the 100 to 1 policy on crack vs. powdered cocaine. Because blacks tended to use crack and whites powdered, blacks were getting far longer prison sentences for the same amount of cocaine.
I'll bet MLK would be proud:
"I have a dream, that one day whites will be sentenced to the same prison term as blacks for drug possession".

Otherwise nuetral rules and laws can have a discriminatory effect if they focus on attributes associate with one race.

that does not mean the laws are racist. an incidental discriminatory effect is not unconstitutional. if the is neutral as to race and race becomes a factor incidentally, it is does not violate any civil rights.

sorry, but you're wrong.

crack was a major problem in the 80s, far worse than cocaine, so yes, there is justification...

Drop in Homicide Rate Linked to Crack's Decline

The Justice Department report, commissioned by Attorney General Janet Reno, acknowledges that improved police work, along with longer prison sentences and improved emergency medical care, have all contributed to the lower homicide rate.

Drop in Homicide Rate Linked to Crack's Decline - The New York Times

Last edited:
for anyone that wants to know the truth...

the mere fact a law has a discriminatory effect will not trigger strict scrutiny or intermediate scrutiny....the law must INTEND to discriminate

if anyone has something other than, well, see more black people are convicted of using crack simply because more black people use crack, let's talk.

if that is all you have, the law is not racist.

Black people are more prone to dog fighting than white people, maybe we should reduce the sentences for that too. Definitely make sure to reduce the prison terms for drive by shootings as well, because black people commit that crime far more than the other races.

Black people are more prone to dog fighting than white people, maybe we should reduce the sentences for that too. Definitely make sure to reduce the prison terms for drive by shootings as well, because black people commit that crime far more than the other races.

if and a big if, your stats are true, that is the heart of the matter. democrats will call you a racist though because they know the racist work gets them votes.

as you can see from this thread, not one person who has jumped all over the sentence reduction as a good thing, has anything to say, except, well, more blacks use crack, so the law is racist.

maybe i ought to start a civil rights practice defending fisherman who get fines. there is no doubt that white fisherman get at least 90% of the fines. so it must be a racist law.

Yurt, do you remember the cocaine wars of the 80's in Miami? I lived there then and it was just as bad if not worse than the crack violence.

Yurt, do you remember the cocaine wars of the 80's in Miami? I lived there then and it was just as bad if not worse than the crack violence.

i lived in SD and part time in LA, crack was a serious problem. also, i spent time with family who lived in NY and it was a serious problem.

perhaps cocaine was a more serious problem there because that is where most of the coke which gets dumped into crack comes from...and from there, crack, cheaper and more dangerous, spread to the rest of america....

i have posted a link, twice, in this thread that has apparent experts, including clintons AG janet reno, who said that higher prison terms etc....decreased homicide rates....

what say you? posters such as iriemon ignore the facts or the facts presented, if you have something to counter that, i would be interested to read it.

Last edited:

i lived in SD and part time in LA, crack was a serious problem. also, i spent time with family who lived in NY and it was a serious problem.

perhaps cocaine was a more serious problem there because that is where most of the coke which gets dumped into crack comes from...and from there, crack, cheaper and more dangerous, spread to the rest of america....

i have posted a link, twice, in this thread that has apparent experts, including clintons AG janet reno, who said that higher prison terms etc....decreased homicide rates....

what say you? posters such as iriemon ignore the facts or the facts presented, if you have something to counter that, i would be interested to read it.

I understand. But I could write a report saying the passage of the stimulus bill is what made housing sales go up. Doesn't make it true or false. I say that to say it could have been increased sentences or a number of other factors including community awareness, increased police presence, and/or the eggs in the frying pan commercials. I agree crack was a major problem but so was the coke used to make crack.

The difference is crack is way worse then cocaine, like heroin is way worse then pot.

Have any off you ever had to deal with a negro on crack?

Forum List

Back