Obama Scolds Graduates For Getting News From Playstations

It was also as if he was insinuating you could not get info off a playstation 3. You can. But he cleared that up so...

As much as the PS3 is like a computer (hell, it even had the cost of one at first), it's not quite there yet. You could easily surf the internet on a PS3, but it'd be much easier to just use a computer.

Again, there is a difference between news and information. All news is information, however not all information is news.

I brushed through the thread with special attention to Boe's posts and saw nowhere that she said people get their news from videogames?
Are you making stuff up?

Nope. She seems to think Obama is going after Playstation and Xboxes because supposedly he's going after alternative media. Where in reality, he's not doing that at all.

This thread is just a excuse for the cries that Obama is attacking the media, where he's doing nothing of the sort. If he were attacking people from playing Xboxes and Playstations in general, I'd be the first one on here to say he is wrong. However, I think I tend to know how my generation works just a bit better than those on here. :eusa_eh:

I actually know what I think - and I don't seem to think he's going after Playstations and Xboxes because he's going after the alternative media.

I THINK he made a moronic mention of the two devices in his attempts to attack the alternate media (along the lines of the moronic nature of visiting all 57 states). The germane part of his speech is to sully blogs and talk radio - something he has been doing with increasing, and unpresidential, frequency.

I brushed through the thread with special attention to Boe's posts and saw nowhere that she said people get their news from videogames?
Are you making stuff up?

Nope. She seems to think Obama is going after Playstation and Xboxes because supposedly he's going after alternative media. Where in reality, he's not doing that at all.

This thread is just a excuse for the cries that Obama is attacking the media, where he's doing nothing of the sort. If he were attacking people from playing Xboxes and Playstations in general, I'd be the first one on here to say he is wrong. However, I think I tend to know how my generation works just a bit better than those on here. :eusa_eh:

So what makes you think Obama understands your generation? The comments are IMO rather insulting, especially when he is condemning them for using devices he admits not knowing how to use. This is coming from a POTUS who can't give a speech without a teleprompter. Obama's campaign was all about using media outlets like youtube and facebook. Obama's disregard for the media goes hand in hand with how his administration is being criticized by the WH press for not giving access to information. This administration often releases information in the form of tweets and blog posts before releasing to the media.

"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter," Obama said at Hampton University, Virginia.

And I wonder just how long it will take him to begin regulating their access, for the "greater good?"

It's HERE!

A federal appeals court ruled last month that the Federal Communications Commission lacks the authority to regulate the Internet. No worries, mate. This week the Obama Administration chose to "reclassify" the Internet so it can regulate the Web anyway. This crowd is nothing if not legally creative.

For the past decade, broadband has been classified as an "information service" and thus more lightly regulated than traditional telephone services. This has led to an explosion of new investment and Web innovation, but it hasn't sat well with Democrats who want more control over the telecom business, as well as with some Web companies (Google) that want more leverage over Internet service providers like Time Warner or Verizon.

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski did their dirty work this week by announcing that he plans to reclassify broadband lines so his agency can regulate them under rules that were written for Ma Bell in the 1930s. This means subjecting the Internet to new political supervision—from the federal government and 50 state public utility commissions. The goal is to put one more industry under Washington's political thumb. ...

Julius Caesar of the Internet - WSJ.com

Quest for knowledge?

From a "playstation"?

They interface with the internet...or aren't you bright enough to figure this shit out on your own?

So what's gonna be next? Regulation or 'X-Box' Reform to follow?

Funny you should bring that up.

The Financial Reform bill gives the FCC more regulatory control over the internet.

Yeah...I know. FCC has no business there except in the Devices used in Part 15 Notices.

So what makes you think Obama understands your generation? The comments are IMO rather insulting, especially when he is condemning them for using devices he admits not knowing how to use. This is coming from a POTUS who can't give a speech without a teleprompter. Obama's campaign was all about using media outlets like youtube and facebook. Obama's disregard for the media goes hand in hand with how his administration is being criticized by the WH press for not giving access to information. This administration often releases information in the form of tweets and blog posts before releasing to the media.

Do I think Obama understands my generation? Good question.

He certainly understands at least how it works better than any other politician right now. He's not condemning video game use as far as I can see, but overuse.

Obama has certainly given a speech without a teleprompter. A teleprompter is no different than having the entire speech written down in front of you like most politicians. The obsession with the teleprompter is laughable.

As for not giving access to information, a lot of the WH press is a bit bitter that they are not getting the exclusive story first. Tweets and blog posts are faster. A lot of the MSM currently resents what is quickly becoming the internet media because it's out of their control.

Obama without a teleprompter:

"I do think at a certain point you've made enough money."

"One such translator was an American of Haitian descent, representative of the extraordinary work that our men and women in uniform do all around the world -- Navy Corpse-Man Christian Brossard."

"The Cambridge police acted stupidly."

"It was also interesting to see that political interaction in Europe is not that different from the United States Senate. There's a lot of -- I don't know what the term is in Austrian, wheeling and dealing."

"I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody."

"Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under a McCain...administration. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under an Obama administration. So that policy is not going to change."

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."

"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go."

"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person, who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, you know, there's a reaction that's been bred in our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way, and that's just the nature of race in our society."

Obama must really hate that information is no longer controlled by the Big Three Networks and a handful of major metro newspapers.

Obama, who often chides journalists and cable news outlets for obsessing with political horse race coverage rather than serious issues, told a class of graduating university students that education was the key to progress.

"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter," Obama said at Hampton University, Virginia.

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

He bemoaned the fact that "some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction," in the clamor of certain blogs and talk radio outlets.

"All of this is not only putting new pressures on you, it is putting new pressures on our country and on our democracy."

AFP: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

Does anyone else find it troubling that Obama continues to attack the alternative media which is critical of him?

I have been waiting for an example like this link to illustrate the warning I have placed in my signature. First there is this quote:

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

It has been in the national news many times that President Obama uses an ipod, and there have been special security considerations because of it. This was my first clue there is something wrong with this link.

Next is this quotation;

"some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction,"

An educated person would not use the words "claims" and "claim" in the same sentence, especially with different connotation.

That led me to the wire service AFP, which I never heard of. Google lists an "Armed Forces Philipines," but why would a story like this originate there instead of a U.S. wire service? If true this would a network news story.

Suspecting this link is bogus who gains by making President Obama look ignorant when it comes to technology? When in fact he is one of the most technologically proficient Presidents we ever had. Give it some thought.

Last edited:

Do I think Obama understands my generation? Good question.

He certainly understands at least how it works better than any other politician right now. He's not condemning video game use as far as I can see, but overuse.

Obama has certainly given a speech without a teleprompter. A teleprompter is no different than having the entire speech written down in front of you like most politicians. The obsession with the teleprompter is laughable.

As for not giving access to information, a lot of the WH press is a bit bitter that they are not getting the exclusive story first. Tweets and blog posts are faster. A lot of the MSM currently resents what is quickly becoming the internet media because it's out of their control.

This administration feels the same way.

Obama must really hate that information is no longer controlled by the Big Three Networks and a handful of major metro newspapers.

Obama, who often chides journalists and cable news outlets for obsessing with political horse race coverage rather than serious issues, told a class of graduating university students that education was the key to progress.

He bemoaned the fact that "some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction," in the clamor of certain blogs and talk radio outlets.

"All of this is not only putting new pressures on you, it is putting new pressures on our country and on our democracy."

AFP: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

Does anyone else find it troubling that Obama continues to attack the alternative media which is critical of him?

I have been waiting for an example like this link to illustrate the warning I have placed in my signature. First there is this quote:

It has been in the national news many times that President Obama uses an hand-held technology, and there have been special security considerations because of it. This was my first clue there is something wrong with this link.

Next is this quotation;

"some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction,"

An educated person would not use the words "claims" and "claim" in the same sentence, especially with different connotation.

That led me to the wire service AFP, which I never heard of. Google lists an "Armed Forces Philipines," but why would a story like this originate there instead of with U.S. Wire Service.

Suspecting this link is bogus who gains by making President Obama look ignorant when it comes to technology? Former Illinois Governor "Rod" Blagojevich as well as John McCain have been publicly ridiculed for their lack of computer knowledge. President Barack Obama is one of the most technologically proficient Presidents we ever had. Give it some thought.

obamaiPhone.jpg

Last edited:
Suspecting this link is bogus who gains by making President Obama look ignorant when it comes to technology? When in fact he is one of the most technologically proficient Presidents we ever had. Give it some thought.

Prepare to be disappointed, skidmarks.

Obama made a commencement speech at Hampton University. A simple search (sorry, I know that's beyond your capabilities), yields a variety of sources, one of which has the full text of his speech (Washington Post). It confirms that the quotes are accurate.

Virginia Politics Blog - Obama at Hampton: Education can "fortify our nation"

Obama to graduates: Education helps us adapt to change - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

Obama: Education basis for rounded life - UPI.com

Obama made a commencement speech at Hampton University. A simple search (sorry, I know that's beyond your capabilities), yields a variety of sources, one of which has the full text of his speech (Washington Post). It confirms that the quotes are accurate.

Obama to graduates: Education helps us adapt to change - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

And unsurprisingly, you take the article out of the entire bunch that you can spin the most.

It reported what he said.

It's too bad that you can't handle facts.

I'm not denying President Obama made a speech. It is the way you rewrote a news story, and created a link.

You have to be kidding, if you are going to try to defend your mis-information link. Get real. What was Armed Forces Philipine wire service doing at Hampton University in Virginia? There is stupidity on the internet, and it is clearly yours here at USMB for trying such a poorly designed ploy. Looks like another desparate attempt from a dying political party.

dead_elephant.jpg

Last edited:
SkidMarks is desperate.

AFP (Agence France-Presse) has been a reputable news agency since the 1800s.

The story has been verified via other sources.

YUO = Pwned

Are you making stuff up?

Oh... he understands how to use alternative media alright. :lol::lol::lol:

RealClearPolitics - Video - Flashback: Obama Advertises In Video Games During 2008 Election

He just likes it better when HE controls the message.

I call that yet another reason not to waste time playing video games.

;)

;)

Too bad you don't feel that way about wasting USMB time with make-believe links!

Guys like you are so easy, when you are outed, you go directly to insults, which is nothing more than an admission of guilt. I bet at work you are usually the butt of bad jokes.

;)

Too bad you don't feel that way about wasting USMB time with make-believe links!

Guys like you are so easy, when you are outed, you go directly to insults, which is nothing more than an admission of guilt. I bet at work you are usually the butt of bad jokes.

laughter-new.jpg

Forum List

Back