Obama Scolds Graduates For Getting News From Playstations

Obama must really hate that information is no longer controlled by the Big Three Networks and a handful of major metro newspapers.

Obama, who often chides journalists and cable news outlets for obsessing with political horse race coverage rather than serious issues, told a class of graduating university students that education was the key to progress.

"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter," Obama said at Hampton University, Virginia.

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

He bemoaned the fact that "some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction," in the clamor of certain blogs and talk radio outlets.

"All of this is not only putting new pressures on you, it is putting new pressures on our country and on our democracy."[/i]

AFP: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

Does anyone else find it troubling that Obama continues to attack the alternative media which is critical of him?

Bloggers typically aren't journalists - they publish opinion - not news. Do you even know the difference?

Nope, to them, news is whatever is fed to them that they already believe and want to hear.

Obama was dead on, we a living in the age of misinformation, and many people are dumb enough and not honest as it is, so they think a blog=fact. THey think editorial= fact. So pathetic

Is that really what you heard? Or is your misinformed brain so programmed to believe bullshit that you actually buy his? It really doesn't surprise me.

For the record, the title of the OP is off by a long shot. He wasn't scolding these grads. He was asking them...no, he was practically BEGGING them... to not pay attention to what he calls questionable information...I.E. anything that puts him in a negative light. It's a classic case of a control freak. If it's negative, it's a lie. If it's from anyone other than Robert Gibbs, it's in question.

Don't be so glib...you and I both know that he was aiming that bullshit right between the eyes of any tv commentator, radio talking head, journalist, reporter, blogger, message board member, or plumber that would dare to say anything negative about him, his performance or his administration. He can't control what they say...(yet)...so he attempts to control who listens to it by lodging the ever powerful question of doubt into their young and impressionable minds. He may have succeeded with some of them too. At least by the looks of some of their faces, he had a few of them in his grasp.

Last edited:
He might as well have told them to stop their quest for knowledge, cease their independent thought processes...and just belive his bildge.

That's what he did say, in code.

"Don't listen to the news. It's distracting."

What a gomer.

another lying post from a hack, what surprise.

Considering how much people like the OP love misinformation, of course they would criticize Obama for all the lies that are passing off as news and dumb people just eat it up and think its truth.

Perhaps you could point out the lie? Especially when it's an article about what Obama actually said.

Nope, to them, news is whatever is fed to them that they already believe and want to hear.

Obama was dead on, we a living in the age of misinformation, and many people are dumb enough and not honest as it is, so they think a blog=fact. THey think editorial= fact. So pathetic

I guess it's much better to just limit information to what the government wants people to know. All other information should stop.

He might as well have told them to stop their quest for knowledge, cease their independent thought processes...and just belive his bildge.

That's what he did say, in code.

"Don't listen to the news. It's distracting."

What a gomer.

Absolutely. If news didn't come from his mouthpiece Gibbs, or any other Statist? It isn't worth looking at.

The Device issue is secondary...and afforded him an excuse to tell these young adults not to persue the truth.

His thuggish ways are coming to the forefront. And yes. I said it. Obama is a THUG.

His rhetoric of 'Uniting' was a ruse. He's doing nothing but further dividing the people against themselves.

Last edited:

Suspecting this link is bogus who gains by making President Obama look ignorant when it comes to technology? When in fact he is one of the most technologically proficient Presidents we ever had. Give it some thought.

You think the link is bogus?

Fine watch the video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwg636CQnrc]YouTube - President Obama at Hampton University[/ame]

Does anyone else find it troubling that Obama continues to attack the alternative media which is critical of him?

Count me in, I am for letting capitalism decide what is and what isn't good media.

It's not capitalism deciding. It's the people. And they don't like the idea that people may get a message that doesn't agree with theirs.

Too bad you don't feel that way about wasting USMB time with make-believe links!

Guys like you are so easy, when you are outed, you go directly to insults, which is nothing more than an admission of guilt. I bet at work you are usually the butt of bad jokes.

It's not a made up link.

:)

You're just can't handle FACTS.

The speech was made at a university by the President of the United States, certainly you can find at least one other source that can confirm what YOUR link says. It would be nice if it was a source ANY ONE had heard of. Or, would this present a problem for you.

How many times do videos have to be posted for you?

Why would the president care if the 'alternative media' clips the daily stupidities that gush forth from the clowns at Foxnews and on rightwing radio and sends them all over the place for all to see?

Very good question. I think you'll have to find the answer yourself, but he's made it clear that he very much does care.

Maybe he realizes that there are people out there that will actually think and evaluate when given a choice of information and sources and determine for themselves what is the most credible.

Maybe more information threatens his agenda. Why is that though? I've always been of the opinion that if you have the truth that it doesn't matter what others say.

Obama must really hate that information is no longer controlled by the Big Three Networks and a handful of major metro newspapers.

Obama, who often chides journalists and cable news outlets for obsessing with political horse race coverage rather than serious issues, told a class of graduating university students that education was the key to progress.

"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter," Obama said at Hampton University, Virginia.

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.

He bemoaned the fact that "some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction," in the clamor of certain blogs and talk radio outlets.

"All of this is not only putting new pressures on you, it is putting new pressures on our country and on our democracy."

"some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter,"

He is 100% correct.

Well he would know, he is the one saying the stuff that doesn't rank all that high on the truth meter.

What this incident represents more than anything else is that the alternative media, especially the interenets, expose politicians' lies and gaffes more effectively than the old oligarchy. It's fun when those out of power get to see the gotcha moments of the party in power (certainly the Left celebrated many a Bush gaffe). Turnabout is fair play. Those on the Left who used the internet to critique Bush should just sack up and accept the fact that all of us have the right to use it, and our expressions of free speech may not say agree with their POV.

What this incident represents more than anything else is that the alternative media, especially the interenets, expose politicians' lies and gaffes more effectively than the old oligarchy. It's fun when those out of power get to see the gotcha moments of the party in power (certainly the Left celebrated many a Bush gaffe). Turnabout is fair play. Those on the Left who used the internet to critique Bush should just sack up and accept the fact that all of us have the right to use it, and our expressions of free speech may not say agree with their POV.

And this is what has the malignant narcissist Obama, so upset. He cannot stand criticism of any sort.

The only way I can get news from my Playstation 3 (that isn't related to video games), is to open up the web browser and go to a news site.

Unless you know of some built in news feature in the PS3 I'm unaware of (the Wii has one)

The difference being that the left had a lot less to work with when it came to lies. The worst they had was Bush "lying" about WMD. But it could never be proven he had lied.

Obama lies on a daily basis, on a grand and proud scale.

"All of this is not only putting new pressures on you, it is putting new pressures on our country and on our democracy."[/i]

:eusa_eh: Do you even know what a Playstation is?

I didn't think someone could get "news" from a "playstation"---:lol::lol:

It sounds to me like our dear President would prefer we just weren't paying attention to what he and this congress is doing---:lol::lol:

I didn't think someone could get "news" from a "playstation"---:lol::lol:

It sounds to me like our dear President would prefer we just weren't paying attention to what he and this congress is doing---:lol::lol:

you can get news from ps3s. they are no different than a normal PC and I know a number of people who use them for such

Forum List

Back