Obama Scaling Back US Military

Sundial

Class Warrior
Aug 1, 2011
WASHINGTON—President Barack Obama on Thursday proposed a historic shift in the U.S. military's size and ambitions, scaling back its ability to wage the type of war and occupation that just concluded in Iraq as the administration seeks to cut defense spending over the next decade.

Under the proposal, the Army would face a 14% reduction in troops—leaving it with too few to conduct two grueling ground wars at once...

Obama Charts Path for Reshaped Military - WSJ.com

I've been in favor of scaling back on defense for a long time. I don't see what good it does us, being the world's policeman. Even if we're helping (if), people don't want us there. And why would they? We wouldn't want foreign troops on our streets. No matter how much they were said to be helping.

Anyway, I'm curious what USMB thinks.

February 8, 2012

"Since 2001, the United States has waged war in three nations, and some Republicans appear ready to bring the total to five, adding Iran and Syria. (The Weekly Standard, of neoconservative bent, regrets that Obama “is reluctant to intervene to oust Iran’s closest ally, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.”) GOP critics say that Obama’s proposed defense cuts will limit America’s ability to engage in troop-intensive nation-building. Most Americans probably say: Good.

Osama bin Laden and many other “high-value targets” are dead, the drone war is being waged more vigorously than ever, and Guantanamo is still open, so Republicans can hardly say that Obama has implemented dramatic and dangerous discontinuities regarding counterterrorism. Obama says that, even with his proposed cuts, the defense budget would increase at about the rate of inflation through the next decade.

Republicans who think America is being endangered by “appeasement” and military parsimony have worked that pedal on their organ quite enough."

92.gif
92.gif
92.gif
92.gif
92.gif

Forum List

Back