Obama says

We seemed to shrimp fine before, maybe not nearly in as such large quantities as we do now, but we pulled it off fine. Wind isn't nearly as untenable as you proclaim it to be. There's always the possibility of combined more than just wind power.

They're going to have to deal with this change anyway, as I point out below, they're living on borrowed time as it is. I don't see why you're automatically raising a stink over what Obama apparently suggested, it's either choose to find other ways of power now or being forced to make the switch down the road.

I don't recall saying industry being forced to change. Just the shrimper industry, as it is the point Willow and I have been contending back and forth. Granted, when oil runs out, they're going to have to change anyway. Oil takes a long time to become oil, and we use staggering amounts as it is. That stuff ain't gonna last forever.

You are still stamped with stupid, and the shrimpers are laughing their asses off. did you ever tell us if you'd agree to let them use nuclear power to power their shrimp boats??

Such a nice old lady you are, Willow. So kind to people!

I'm not even sure if they make nuclear powering equipment for such small boats. I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest engineering innovations since Chernobyl. So, I can't really say. Nuclear power on such small boats seems awfully overkill.

So, I'm gonna say no.

I figured as much. And the shrimpers are still laughing their asses off at you and obie wan.

You have "stupid" stamped on your forehead don't you? The shrimpers are still laughing their asses off. Throw a cast net for a thousand years. You won't catch a shrimp.. They dwell on the bottom.. from 15 feet to a 100 feet.. ya gotta tow that net. would you vote for a nuclear powered shrimp boat?

We seemed to shrimp fine before, maybe not nearly in as such large quantities as we do now, but we pulled it off fine. Wind isn't nearly as untenable as you proclaim it to be. There's always the possibility of combined more than just wind power.

They're going to have to deal with this change anyway, as I point out below, they're living on borrowed time as it is. I don't see why you're automatically raising a stink over what Obama apparently suggested, it's either choose to find other ways of power now or being forced to make the switch down the road.

So you're saying let's FORCE every industry to change even though we have no actual plan to switch them to? yeah, that's feasible.

I don't recall saying industry being forced to change. Just the shrimper industry, as it is the point Willow and I have been contending back and forth. Granted, when oil runs out, they're going to have to change anyway. Oil takes a long time to become oil, and we use staggering amounts as it is. That stuff ain't gonna last forever.

Even by conservative estimates we have 20 years of oil left. Don't you think that in that 20 years technology on this will catch up with desire and alternative fuels will be more feasible and people will switch over on their own without being pushed?

I imagine it will, but changing to alternative fuels isn't just about the fact that the fuel we're using now will run out. It has an adverse effect on the environment (and no, its not just climate change) via pollution. Call me a planeteer or whatever, but I'd prefer to switch as soon as we could, to minimize any troubles in twenty years and negate us doing any long term damage to our air or rivers.

Which is also pretty much why I leaned towards no on nuclear power since I don't know too much about current safety precautions. If something goes wrong, it goes wrong bad with it. Although the area around Chernobyl has recovered, I'm still wary.

I'm assuming this is the part in question?

Excerpt from page 3; whole transcript in link:

... So one of the lessons we've learned from this spill is that we need better regulations, better safety standards, and better enforcement when it comes to offshore drilling. But a larger lesson is that no matter how much we improve our regulation of the industry, drilling for oil these days entails greater risk. After all, oil is a finite resource. We consume more than 20 percent of the world's oil, but have less than 2 percent of the world's oil reserves. And that's part of the reason oil companies are drilling a mile beneath the surface of the ocean -- because we're running out of places to drill on land and in shallow water.

For decades, we have known the days of cheap and easily accessible oil were numbered. For decades, we've talked and talked about the need to end America's century-long addiction to fossil fuels. And for decades, we have failed to act with the sense of urgency that this challenge requires. Time and again, the path forward has been blocked -- not only by oil industry lobbyists, but also by a lack of political courage and candor.

The consequences of our inaction are now in plain sight. Countries like China are investing in clean energy jobs and industries that should be right here in America. Each day, we send nearly $1 billion of our wealth to foreign countries for their oil. And today, as we look to the Gulf, we see an entire way of life being threatened by a menacing cloud of black crude.

We cannot consign our children to this future. The tragedy unfolding on our coast is the most painful and powerful reminder yet that the time to embrace a clean energy future is now. Now is the moment for this generation to embark on a national mission to unleash America's innovation and seize control of our own destiny.

This is not some distant vision for America. The transition away from fossil fuels is going to take some time, but over the last year and a half, we've already taken unprecedented action to jumpstart the clean energy industry. As we speak, old factories are reopening to produce wind turbines, people are going back to work installing energy-efficient windows, and small businesses are making solar panels. Consumers are buying more efficient cars and trucks, and families are making their homes more energy-efficient. Scientists and researchers are discovering clean energy technologies that someday will lead to entire new industries.

Each of us has a part to play in a new future that will benefit all of us. As we recover from this recession, the transition to clean energy has the potential to grow our economy and create millions of jobs -– but only if we accelerate that transition. Only if we seize the moment. And only if we rally together and act as one nation –- workers and entrepreneurs; scientists and citizens; the public and private sectors.

Text - Obama?s First Oval Office Address - NYTimes.com

I don't understand the problem here.

Should our government--federal, state, local--not reassess policies in response to problems related to those policies? September 11 was a wake up call that our intelligence agencies needed better communication with each other. Katrina was a wake-up call that FEMA needed to be reformed.

I didn't watch this on TV, but I read the transcript and thought it was well-written and hit on some good points.

Even by conservative estimates we have 20 years of oil left. Don't you think that in that 20 years technology on this will catch up with desire and alternative fuels will be more feasible and people will switch over on their own without being pushed?

I imagine it will, but changing to alternative fuels isn't just about the fact that the fuel we're using now will run out. It has an adverse effect on the environment (and no, its not just climate change) via pollution. Call me a planeteer or whatever, but I'd prefer to switch as soon as we could, to minimize any troubles in twenty years and negate us doing any long term damage to our air or rivers.

Which is also pretty much why I leaned towards no on nuclear power since I don't know too much about current safety precautions. If something goes wrong, it goes wrong bad with it. Although the area around Chernobyl has recovered, I'm still wary.

doh,, stuff does go wrong, or you could go back to cave dwelling that worked for thousands of years,, just don't catch your alpaca on fire..

You have "stupid" stamped on your forehead don't you? The shrimpers are still laughing their asses off. Throw a cast net for a thousand years. You won't catch a shrimp.. They dwell on the bottom.. from 15 feet to a 100 feet.. ya gotta tow that net. would you vote for a nuclear powered shrimp boat?

So you're saying let's FORCE every industry to change even though we have no actual plan to switch them to? yeah, that's feasible.

"If world oil consumption continues to increase at an average rate of 1.4 percent a year, and no further resources are discovered, the world's oil supply will not be exhausted until the year 2056."
Are We Running Out of Oil? | Publications | National Center for Policy Analysis | NCPA

Let me know when they develop a wind powered car..

Keep on moving that goalpost. She said boat, not car. :thup:

So you think that when all boats are powered by wind our economy will have gone green? :lol:

Bertie, I think it's cute the way you try to put daddy's shoes on and play with the big boys, but you're still a ways away. :lol:

Why do you resist green energy? It will happen, might as well be here. 80 years from now the internal combustion engine will look as primitive to our decedents as a steam engine looks to us.

Is that the answer to everything? The dems are pushing it so it must be stupid?

BTW wind powered car technology is already here. An electric car charged by wind generated electric is just that, and is truly zero emission.

Last edited:

So you think that when all boats are powered by wind our economy will have gone green? :lol:

Bertie, I think it's cute the way you try to put daddy's shoes on and play with the big boys, but you're still a ways away. :lol:

Why do you resist green energy? It will happen, might as well be here. 80 years from now the internal combustion engine will look as primitive to our decedents as a steam engine looks to us.

you gonna fly coast to coast in a hand glider? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, we're going to fly coast to coast in something advanced beyond our contemporary imagination........

No, we're going to fly coast to coast in something advanced beyond our contemporary imagination........

namely?

BTW wind powered car technology is already here. An electric car charged by wind generated electric is just that, and is truly zero emission.

Why do you think anyone here is opposing it? We're talking about reality. Right now the technology is not here just to say "fuck oil, you can't use it anymore." That doesn't even make a little sense

tell you libturds what,, get you a solid plan in place. we need facts, we don't need to fund your stupid james cameron pipe dreams..

namely?

Namely a jet engine powered by technology that hasn't been invented yet. If we don't focus on finding that technology, oil's gonna run out or become expensive beyond the reach of commoners, and a lot of us will have to do without flying anywhere for awhile.

Why do you think anyone here is opposing it? We're talking about reality. Right now the technology is not here just to say "fuck oil, you can't use it anymore." That doesn't even make a little sense

I'm not sure anybody is saying that, but maybe they are.

It will be a long-term transition from fossil to alternatives, whether they be wind, solar, and-or newkleer. We have to begin that transition at some point, and I think we should have started on it a decade ago. The US is on the leading edge of technology, so I don't understand why we shouldn't be the leading edge in R&D of alternative energies.

Unfortunately, I think this issue has been overly-politicized because of global warming.

Nobody said sever oil supply immediately, either. We're discussing a president who wants to shift additional focus to alternatives. Meanwhile you guys try to make it look ridiculous and make fun of his intentions with ridiculous satire like wind powered cars and hang-gliders in place of planes.

You don't know what change and refine shrimp fishing methods means do you? Let me make it simpler: it means we probably won't do the same ways we rely on now for shrimping, because obviously it wouldn't be doable. It's been several hundred years since we used 'hand-cast methods',' and I think we've got a bunch of smart enough chaps in the shrimp or boating industry to figure it out.

h93836.jpg

...............waiting for it
Those work well on nice flat rivers. Now, if we could just get the ocean to stay flat....

Not to change the subject, but Obama did say other things. He telegraphed his boastful directive to be delivered to BP....like he has the constitutional authority to make BP do a damn thing. Shrimpers are not the only ones laughing their asses off.

Obama is using this crisis to expand government, obligate more taxes to the paying of federal wages, create more red tape and inefficient management of resources, further stifle the US production of oil with inane environmentalist concerns and continue on his Marxist path toward total ruination of the present American way of life.

Here come the black helicopters. Too bad, I felt like we were making some progress here.

namely?

Namely a jet engine powered by technology that hasn't been invented yet. If we don't focus on finding that technology, oil's gonna run out or become expensive beyond the reach of commoners, and a lot of us will have to do without flying anywhere for awhile.

So you admit that the technology isn't there yet? Great. Now do you also believe that Obama demonizing the oil industry is the only way anyone will work on finding those technologies?

Nobody said sever oil supply immediately, either. We're discussing a president who wants to shift additional focus to alternatives. Meanwhile you guys try to make it look ridiculous and make fun of his intentions with ridiculous satire like wind powered cars and hang-gliders in place of planes.

Every time BO has an agenda it costs us more in money and loss of freedom. It sounds good and some people jump on his bandwagon, but we all know it is going to cost us plenty.

I'm feeling like we are watching a movie. This guy is not the real President. He's an actor playing a part. He instills absolutely no confidence. He hasn't got a clue except for his agenda and he will use any crisis to push his agenda. The "health crisis" for instance. That was all we heard during the debate. Now we hear nothing about a health crisis. If there is such a health crisis then why do we have to wait 4 years to implement this mess?

All of you BO supporters are nuts. Thank God he will be neutered this fall and he will be out in 2 more years.

h93836.jpg

...............waiting for it
Those work well on nice flat rivers. Now, if we could just get the ocean to stay flat....

Not to change the subject, but Obama did say other things. He telegraphed his boastful directive to be delivered to BP....like he has the constitutional authority to make BP do a damn thing. Shrimpers are not the only ones laughing their asses off.

Obama is using this crisis to expand government, obligate more taxes to the paying of federal wages, create more red tape and inefficient management of resources, further stifle the US production of oil with inane environmentalist concerns and continue on his Marxist path toward total ruination of the present American way of life.

IF I were BP and Obama came to me and told me I had to create an escrow account I'd give him a check for the $75M , the federally mandated cap, and turn the entire mess over to him.

Forum List

Back