Obama says

Oh my God, he is doing it. He's using this oil spill to push Green Energy. God only knows where this is going.

Darn it all...just think...without an ecological disaster, there would be no reason to push solutions to ecological disasters.

He could barrow a couple of trillion more dollars and throw it against a wall and "HOPE" for a technological breakthrough in green energy.
BTW, how about converting coal to fuel for cars and trucks.
But I do wonder why (BP) doesn't drill wells closer to shore in shallow water. Hmmmm........

come on guys,, 60 foot shrimp net, in about 60 foot of water.. dragging it across the floor of the bay or ocean then you gotta haul you catch up to the deck,, how much sail and solar is that going to take.. come on now, you have all the answers let's have it.. come on now I know you can bullshit your way through the laws of physics.. come on now MODMORON..

You know, I have a bunch of friends who are in bands who have cheaply converted their vans to biofuel. They travel all over the country. They take grease and stuff from restaurants and such and easily convert it to biofuel. This country has a sad, disposable culture that is so incredibly wasteful, what with all the garbage we throw out and corn that has to be grown because it is a commodity. Why DO you think there is that poison, high fructose corn syrup in everything? We can make ANYTHING into fuel - we just have to fight big oil and do it. I thought we were an entrepreneurial people! The answer could be as close as the nearest garbage dump -and we have plenty of those.

Home Brewed: How to Turn Grease Into Biodiesel (for Cheap!) - Popularmechanics.com

Biodiesel Stations | OVER 1500 BIODIESEL LOCATIONS IN THE US

Last edited:
come on guys,, 60 foot shrimp net, in about 60 foot of water.. dragging it across the floor of the bay or ocean then you gotta haul you catch up to the deck,, how much sail and solar is that going to take.. come on now, you have all the answers let's have it.. come on now I know you can bullshit your way through the laws of physics.. come on now MODMORON..

You know, I have a bunch of friends who are in bands who have cheaply converted their vans to biofuel. They travel all over the country. They take grease and stuff from restaurants and such and easily convert it to biofuel. This country has a sad, disposable culture that is so incredibly wasteful, what with all the garbage we throw out and corn that has to be grown because it is a commodity. Why DO you think there is that poison, high fructose corn syrup in everything? We can make ANYTHING into fuel - we just have to fight big oil and do it. I thought we were an entrepreneurial people! The answer could be as close as the nearest garbage dump -and we have plenty of those.

Home Brewed: How to Turn Grease Into Biodiesel (for Cheap!) - Popularmechanics.com

Biodiesel Stations | OVER 1500 BIODIESEL LOCATIONS IN THE US

As already stated, corn ethanol takes more energy to produce than it creates.

As for used cooking oil as fuel. Yes, any modern diesel engine will run off of it as is. But you can bet that if the demand goes up, so would the price and there would simply not be enough product to meet the demand.

As for garbage, you been watching too much back to the future 3.

As for used cooking oil as fuel. Yes, any modern diesel engine will run off of it as is. But you can bet that if the demand goes up, so would the price and there would simply not be enough product to meet the demand.

Oh yeah? Do you know how much grease and garbage waste is created in this country every day? I'll bet you that we produce enough to run our cars on. Oh, and they CAN convert garbage to fuel.

Way to stand up for big oil once again. We need to get you and people like you completely out of the way.

Scientists create new enzymes for biofuel production
http://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Prices/Biofuel-of-the-Future-Turning-our-Garbage-into-Energy.html

Oh yeah? Do you know how much grease and garbage waste is created in this country every day? I'll bet you that we produce enough to run our cars on. Oh, and they CAN convert garbage to fuel.

Way to stand up for big oil once again. We need to get you and people like you completely out of the way.

Biofuel of the Future - Turning our Garbage into Energy | Oil Price.com

Facing reality =/= standing up for big oil. I would love to have a flying rocket that was powered by unicorn tears, but until that magical day happens maybe we should not bankrupt poor Americans who could not possibly afford $8/gal gasoline so that you can feel better about yourself.

Especially when we are talking about creating a false shortage of a product in order to raise the prices just so government can make more money. There is no shortage and the danger of drilling while catastrophic when something like this oil spill occurs are actually minimal.

and the big orange MODMORON appauds the DUmmie who thinks you can pull a shrimp net with a sailboat.. :lol::lol: idiots

Wow, its like we never got any shrimp until we invented mechanized boats! It's not like we've been using seines since before relying on industrial inventions... We would be doomed with sail alone, dooooooomed I tell ye!

Yea and why don't we just trade in our automobiles for horses and buggies too.:cuckoo:

Horse and buggy? Don't be stupid, horses produce methane, can't have that no we can't. You sir need to start walking everywhere you go. Meanwhile Osama will continue flying guys to DC from fucking St Louis just to make his nappy headed little daughters some really fucking good pizza.:cheeky-smiley-018:

Man though, ITER's entire budget $5B conservatively, $10B on the high end... 1/200th or 1/100th tops of the military budget for one year in the US. Idk why I even torment myself thinking about that kind of thing though. :)

This is kind of old news from last year, but China is getting their shit together on that front. They're planning to build 28 additional plants by 2020. Here in the US, I don't think we've built one since the mid-90s

China to Build 28 More Nuclear Power Reactors by 2020 (Update2) - BusinessWeek

I'm all for nuclear, We need all of them we can get. But that doesn't address the main issue of who the cap and trade will KILL. Lower income Americans. Many of them can't even afford a decade old used hybrid, let alone a new one, so alternative energy does them no good, they are stuck paying $8/gal for gasoline so that assholes that live in houses like this

rosiegs_l.jpg

can brag to their friends that they switched to an environmentally friendly car.

Are you freaking kidding me?

Oh, and if the President were serious about not using so much oil, he would park this

Air_Force_One_over_Mt._Rushmore.jpg

I mean the sheer fucking arrogance of this liar in chief. Look here

Obamas fly chef 860 miles to the White House... just to make pizza | Mail Online

They don't have fucking pizza in Washington DC? I'm pretty sure they do , and someone who was concerned with the environment would not do anything so wasteful of our precious resources.

This is NOTHING but a money grab, plain and simple.

yeah sicking is' ant it!!! but he had it all handed to him on a golden platter..

Facing reality =/= standing up for big oil. I would love to have a flying rocket that was powered by unicorn tears, but until that magical day happens maybe we should not bankrupt poor Americans who could not possibly afford $8/gal gasoline so that you can feel better about yourself.

Especially when we are talking about creating a false shortage of a product in order to raise the prices just so government can make more money. There is no shortage and the danger of drilling while catastrophic when something like this oil spill occurs are actually minimal.

I think the brunt of the financial hit from cap-and-trade wouldn't be felt at the gas pump so much as it would in the monthly energy bill you get in the mail. Estimates are at something like ~$1,500 more per year for a family of four, I think. Aside from that, there are other good reasons to be skeptical of cap-and-trade:

--The scheme was created by investment banks, mainly Goldman Sachs. It's a bit of an ad hominem, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be skeptical of the products investment banks create, in light of their recent shenanigans.

--Cap and trade has been implemented in the Euro-zone, but it has underperformed and in some places emissions have actually remained level or increased.

Having said that, I don't think the shortcomings of cap-and-trade are reasons to neglect investments in R&D of alternative energies. There's potential for market growth. With alternatives, we can lessen our reliance on OPEC and their bullshit games with the market, and we might be able to lessen our trade imbalance too.

We've got the high-skill educated workforce to be on the front edge of this R&D, but I think the big money isn't there yet. If the government shows a long-term commitment to alternatives, which is crucial since the government regulates energy infrastructure, then the private money could follow.

Probably the biggest upside to alternatives is in the long term, where, when fossil fuels reach the end of the line and their progressive scarcity makes them progressively un-affordable, we can be in a position for a less-painful transition to alternatives that will hopefully be cheaper if we have invested enough in them by that time, whenever it may be.

Ideally, I'd rather we reshape budget priorities instead of new taxes. We saw the shortfalls of Social Security coming for decades, but our politicians sat on their hands and abdicated responsibility to the future; I hope we don't make the same mistake with the way our country is powered.

I think the brunt of the financial hit from cap-and-trade wouldn't be felt at the gas pump so much as it would in the monthly energy bill you get in the mail. Estimates are at something like ~$1,500 more per year for a family of four, I think. Aside from that, there are other good reasons to be skeptical of cap-and-trade:

--The scheme was created by investment banks, mainly Goldman Sachs. It's a bit of an ad hominem, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be skeptical of the products investment banks create, in light of their recent shenanigans.

--Cap and trade has been implemented in the Euro-zone, but it has underperformed and in some places emissions have actually remained level or increased.

Having said that, I don't think the shortcomings of cap-and-trade are reasons to neglect investments in R&D of alternative energies. There's potential for market growth. With alternatives, we can lessen our reliance on OPEC and their bullshit games with the market, and we might be able to lessen our trade imbalance too.

We've got the high-skill educated workforce to be on the front edge of this R&D, but I think the big money isn't there yet. If the government shows a long-term commitment to alternatives, which is crucial since the government regulates energy infrastructure, then the private money could follow.

Probably the biggest upside to alternatives is in the long term, where, when fossil fuels reach the end of the line and their progressive scarcity makes them progressively un-affordable, we can be in a position for a less-painful transition to alternatives that will hopefully be cheaper if we have invested enough in them by that time, whenever it may be.

Ideally, I'd rather we reshape budget priorities instead of new taxes. We saw the shortfalls of Social Security coming for decades, but our politicians sat on their hands and abdicated responsibility to the future; I hope we don't make the same mistake with the way our country is powered.

I have no problem with them allocating more funds to R&D. Only a buffoon would think our oil supply is infinite, BUT bankrupting American's today to power tomorrow is no solution.

IF Obama were serious about lessening our dependency on oil and not just after a money grab he would do TWO things and this issue would be resolved.

1. Push for the immediate building of as many nuclear power plants as feasibly possible. It's a proven technology

2. Offer a $100M prize to anyone who invents a clean alternative to the internal combustion engine. Alternative means it can do anything that a gas engine can.

This talk of wind and solar that's a pipe dream, too many negatives.

You don't know what change and refine shrimp fishing methods means do you? Let me make it simpler: it means we probably won't do the same ways we rely on now for shrimping, because obviously it wouldn't be doable. It's been several hundred years since we used 'hand-cast methods',' and I think we've got a bunch of smart enough chaps in the shrimp or boating industry to figure it out.

You have "stupid" stamped on your forehead don't you? The shrimpers are still laughing their asses off. Throw a cast net for a thousand years. You won't catch a shrimp.. They dwell on the bottom.. from 15 feet to a 100 feet.. ya gotta tow that net. would you vote for a nuclear powered shrimp boat?

We seemed to shrimp fine before, maybe not nearly in as such large quantities as we do now, but we pulled it off fine. Wind isn't nearly as untenable as you proclaim it to be. There's always the possibility of combined more than just wind power.

They're going to have to deal with this change anyway, as I point out below, they're living on borrowed time as it is. I don't see why you're automatically raising a stink over what Obama apparently suggested, it's either choose to find other ways of power now or being forced to make the switch down the road.

You don't know what change and refine shrimp fishing methods means do you? Let me make it simpler: it means we probably won't do the same ways we rely on now for shrimping, because obviously it wouldn't be doable. It's been several hundred years since we used 'hand-cast methods',' and I think we've got a bunch of smart enough chaps in the shrimp or boating industry to figure it out.

So you're saying let's FORCE every industry to change even though we have no actual plan to switch them to? yeah, that's feasible.

I don't recall saying industry being forced to change. Just the shrimper industry, as it is the point Willow and I have been contending back and forth. Granted, when oil runs out, they're going to have to change anyway. Oil takes a long time to become oil, and we use staggering amounts as it is. That stuff ain't gonna last forever.

Forrest Gump and Bubba's ghost said you don't know shit about bein' a shrimpin boat captain......

Forum List

Back