Obama says Ford Benefited from Bail outs of Competitors.

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
In a stunning display of this administrations lack of understanding of business. The white house is claiming that even though ford did not take any money, They benefited from the Bail out of Chrysler and GM.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/06/us/politics/06obama.html

White House officials countered that Ford benefited from the industry bailout even though it did not accept aid itself, because the federal money kept a network of suppliers in business. They also pointed to the industrywide boost from the government’s cash-for-clunkers program, which used tax credits to encourage consumers to trade in older, more polluting cars for new models last year.

Once again Obama does not understand business at all. Ford would have seen much more benefit if one or both of it's competitors were allowed to fail instead of propped up by the government.

I hope people are not falling for this line of BS.

In a stunning display of this administrations lack of understanding of business. The white house is claiming that even though ford did not take any money, They benefited from the Bail out of Chrysler and GM.

White House officials countered that Ford benefited from the industry bailout even though it did not accept aid itself, because the federal money kept a network of suppliers in business. They also pointed to the industrywide boost from the government’s cash-for-clunkers program, which used tax credits to encourage consumers to trade in older, more polluting cars for new models last year.

Once again Obama does not understand business at all. Ford would have seen much more benefit if one or both of it's competitors were allowed to fail instead of propped up by the government.

and of course the liberal media will buy it hook line and sinker.

ford was rescued by the obama administration from their worst financial crisis since the great depression

I work at a dealership for one of the Big Three, not Ford. I hear people say they won't buy Chrysler or GM because they took bailout money. I think there is something to what he said.

that's a fucking lie.

I work at a dealership for one of the Big Three, not Ford. I hear people say they won't buy Chrysler or GM because they took bailout money. I think there is something to what he said.

there's alot to what he said... i live near the chrysler dealship in new london ct. closed even though it was a successful dealership. this in addition to pfizer pulling out after kelo.
family dealship in business for generations, shut down by the "dealerships for clunkers" program, just like in atlas shrugged. and i drive a cirrus.
this is just like the lemonade stand fiasco

there's alot to what he said... i live near the chrysler dealship in new london ct. closed even though it was a successful dealership. this in addition to pfizer pulling out after kelo.
family dealship in business for generations, shut down by the "dealerships for clunkers" program, just like in atlas shrugged. and i drive a cirrus.
this is just like the lemonade stand fiasco

the bond holders, the shareholders, the pensioners, and the dealerships were ripped off by obie wan.. I will never buy GM because of that theft.

Hahah wow, just f-ing wow...

OR, the 2 other companies would have gone BYE BYE and the people would have simply had less options reguardless. If anything they would have had thousand and over years MILLIONS of more sales VS just a few more.

I heard the president talking about this. He said Ford would tell you they benefited.

Are they denying it? Is Ford contradicting the president?

Did the bailout of Chrysler and GM "save" Ford?

No.

Did it help Ford?

Quite possibly.

Now, what was it that Obama said that was wrong?

Only a fool can not see that FORD would have benefited FAR MORE if the government had not bailed out their direct competition.

Ford would have been in a position to gain Market share when one or both of it's competitors went under. It is pure insanity to think Ford Was happy to see it's competition get Billions in bail out money.

Last edited:

I heard the president talking about this. He said Ford would tell you they benefited.

No Ford won't contradict this. It is a fact.

In fact , when the bailout talks were going on, why do you think Alan Mullaly, the President of Ford, attended the hearings even though his company neither needed, nor wanted any bailout money?

Simple, He argued that his company would go under if GM and CHrysler folded. Why you ask? Because many of the companies that supply Ford also supply GM and Chrysler, but without the volume of at least 2 of the 3 they would have gone out of business. if enough of the smaller suppliers went out of business, or even some of the key ones, Ford would have been unable to build any cars, regardless of how much money they did or didn't have. Mullaley's exact testimony was that saving GM was the ONLY way to assure that Ford didn't go down the drain as well.

Sorry, some of you conservatives just have this flat wrong. Although I'm sure some of the libs who were giggling had no idea of how Ford benefited.

Only a fool can not see that FORD would have benefited FAR MORE if the government had not bailed out their direct competition.

You're wrong Charles, sorry

I respectfully disagree sir. sorry.

There's nothing to disagree with Charles, You're wrong.

Here you go, it took some searchiing, but I found Mullaley's testimony to the Senate banking subcommittee and it reads in part

In particular, the collapse of one or both of our domestic competitors would threaten Ford
because we have 80 percent overlap in supplier networks and nearly 25 percent of Ford's top
dealers also own GM and Chrysler franchises.

you can find that on page 4 here

http://clipsandcomment.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/mulally0ford12408finalwrittentestimony.pdf

Sorry bud, you're wrong here.

Charles your a first class clown. Fords CEO said the same thing. I've heard him say it twice.

No Ford won't contradict this. It is a fact.

In fact , when the bailout talks were going on, why do you think Alan Mullaly, the President of Ford, attended the hearings even though his company neither needed, nor wanted any bailout money?

Simple, He argued that his company would go under if GM and CHrysler folded. Why you ask? Because many of the companies that supply Ford also supply GM and Chrysler, but without the volume of at least 2 of the 3 they would have gone out of business. if enough of the smaller suppliers went out of business, or even some of the key ones, Ford would have been unable to build any cars, regardless of how much money they did or didn't have. Mullaley's exact testimony was that saving GM was the ONLY way to assure that Ford didn't go down the drain as well.

Sorry, some of you conservatives just have this flat wrong. Although I'm sure some of the libs who were giggling had no idea of how Ford benefited.

nice try.... must...have....kool....aid..

The supplier network collapse makes a great deal of sense to me. Also, the resulting depression from losing two automakers would have lasted the better part of five to ten years. Don't tend to sell many cars in a depression.

Forum List

Back