Obama: Republicans are royally angry and who can blame them?

I would just to throw up all over Dick Cheney's bald head.

DICK THE COWARD.... It was only a matter of time before Dick Cheney decided to trash the president again.

"As I've watched the events of the last few days it is clear once again that President Obama is trying to pretend we are not at war. He seems to think if he has a low key response to an attempt to blow up an airliner and kill hundreds of people, we won't be at war."

Let's review a few pesky details. First, it was Cheney's administration that released some of the alleged terrorists who plotted the attack into an "art therapy rehabilitation program" in Saudi Arabia, only to see them become terrorist leaders in Yemen. It was also Cheney's administration that gave Abdulmutallab a visa to enter the United States in the first place.

Second, let's compare some "low-key responses." President Obama addressed a failed terrorist attack three days after it occurred. Eight years ago, when a terrorist tried to blow up an airplane under nearly identical circumstances, then-President Bush waited six days before making brief, cursory public remarks. Five days after the attempted terrorist attack, then-Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld refused substantive comment altogether, telling reporters, "That's a matter that's in the hands of the law enforcement people." A White House spokesperson would only say at the time that officials were "continuing to monitor events."

Democrats, at the time, didn't launch an assault against the Bush administration, and we didn't see Al Gore condemning the White House. It simply didn't occur to Democrats in 2001 to use the attempted mass murder of hundreds of Americans to undermine the presidency.

The Washington Monthly

In a time of crisis Democrats were able to rally behind a Republican president. Republicans, in a time of crisis, look for political gain - disgusting.

I'm not a Democrat by any means - I disagree with a lot of their agenda. But if someone mistakes me for a Democrat, I do not feel nearly as insulted as when someone mistakes me for a Republican.

What happened on 9/11/01 that brought about the uniting of this country? Yes, we (Democrats and Republicans) did unite for a time back then.

What has happened since 1/20/09 that would even remotely compare to 9/11/01 and bring about an uniting of this country? A thwarted terrorists attack that neither hurt nor killed any one? Well, the terrorist seems to be missing a part of his anatomy but other than that? A stimulus package? Lost jobs? oh excuse me, he saved jobs. The systematic attempt to completely destroy a segment of the U.S. Economy, a large segment of the U.S. Economy I might add?

What do we have to bring this country together at this time?

I am not a Republican. Nor do I hope that the President fails, although I do hope that healthcare package gets sent back to the drawing board. But, I cannot think of anything that calls for a group hug at the moment.

Also, please don't tell me that the Democrats were hugging the Republicans before 9/11. It was quite contentous before the attack.

Immie

The Democrats weren't hugging Republicans AFTER the attack either. But they weren't trying to use a terrorist attack as a political hammer to beat the Republican POTUS over the head with - as GOP is doing now with THIS terrorist attack.

I'm not a Democrat or a Republican so it doesn't matter that much to me. I'm just a lot less insulted when someone mistakes me for a Democrat than I am when someone mistakes me for a Republican these days.

So much for "Country First"

The democrats in this country backed their president even though some of us (like me) thought he stole the election.

I still put that aside for country and Bush repaid me by LYING us into a war fro oil profits.

I will NOT blame the next R president for Bush's LIES.

In a time of crisis Democrats were able to rally behind a Republican president. Republicans, in a time of crisis, look for political gain - disgusting.

I'm not a Democrat by any means - I disagree with a lot of their agenda. But if someone mistakes me for a Democrat, I do not feel nearly as insulted as when someone mistakes me for a Republican.

What happened on 9/11/01 that brought about the uniting of this country? Yes, we (Democrats and Republicans) did unite for a time back then.

What has happened since 1/20/09 that would even remotely compare to 9/11/01 and bring about an uniting of this country? A thwarted terrorists attack that neither hurt nor killed any one? Well, the terrorist seems to be missing a part of his anatomy but other than that? A stimulus package? Lost jobs? oh excuse me, he saved jobs. The systematic attempt to completely destroy a segment of the U.S. Economy, a large segment of the U.S. Economy I might add?

What do we have to bring this country together at this time?

I am not a Republican. Nor do I hope that the President fails, although I do hope that healthcare package gets sent back to the drawing board. But, I cannot think of anything that calls for a group hug at the moment.

Also, please don't tell me that the Democrats were hugging the Republicans before 9/11. It was quite contentous before the attack.

Immie

The Democrats weren't hugging Republicans AFTER the attack either. But they weren't trying to use a terrorist attack as a political hammer to beat the Republican POTUS over the head with - as GOP is doing now with THIS terrorist attack.

I'm not a Democrat or a Republican so it doesn't matter that much to me. I'm just a lot less insulted when someone mistakes me for a Democrat than I am when someone mistakes me for a Republican these days.

So much for "Country First"

The "group hug" was just to get the point across.

After 9/11, the Democrats did the right thing. They let partisan politics take a back seat to the aftermath of 9/11 for a while. That was all I was saying. One would not expect them to kiss his ass, but they stood up for this country.

I would expect that Republicans would do the same thing today if we were attacked in the manner of 9/11 again. At least, I would pray that they would.

I was hoping for an answer from you though, what has happened since President Obama took office that could be considered a reason to lock arms together and stand up for this country? This so called attack does not in my books qualify.

Immie

Last edited:

Forum List

Back