Obama = Reagan. Seriously.

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Obama isn't weak (he just isn't a liberal) - David Sirota - Salon.com

The president has the political muscle to enact a progressive agenda, but he doesn't want to

Obama is not a flaccid Jimmy Carter, as some of his critics insist. He is instead a Franklin Delano Roosevelt -- but a bizarro FDR. He has mustered the legislative strength of his New Deal predecessor -- but he has channeled that strength into propping up the very forces of "organized money" that FDR once challenged.

On healthcare, for instance, Obama passed a Heritage Foundation-inspired bailout of the private health insurance industry, all while undermining other more-progressive proposals. On foreign policy, he escalated old wars and initiated new ones. On civil liberties, he not only continued the Patriot Act and indefinite detention of terrorism suspects but also claimed the right to assassinate American citizens without charge.

On financial issues, he fought off every serious proposal to reregulate banks following the economic meltdown; he preserved ongoing bank bailouts; and he resisted pressure to prosecute Wall Street thieves. On fiscal matters, after extending the Bush tax cuts at a time of massive deficits, he has used the debt ceiling negotiations to set the stage for potentially massive cuts to Social Security and Medicare -- cuts that would be far bigger than any of his proposed revenue increases.

Good article, worth the read.

Thoughts?

He's not weak, he's a Progressive Jihadist. He admitted Social Security was broke, nationalized the auto industry, took control of the banks and the lives of every American through ObamaCare and now he's pushing us off the cliff by bankrupting us.

He's not Reagan either, Reagan was pro-America and understood American greatness, Obama loathes it.

Last edited:
To be fair, he inherited quite a mess, but I think comparing him to Carter, FDR, or Reagan is mostly ridiculous, and to a large extent so is the article. He has so much power not because he is so "powerful" or brilliant or a great president, but because he remains popular despite having not earned it. He is a textbook example of being at the right place at the right time and continues to ride that wave.

PS to answer the obvious and incorrect assumption, no I am not a particularly "right wing" and am no fan of Bush's either. He was a horrible president IMO. I'm just sick of the blinders that so many in BOTH parties seem to simply love to wear.

The president has the political muscle to enact a progressive agenda, but he doesn't want to

Obama is not a flaccid Jimmy Carter, as some of his critics insist. He is instead a Franklin Delano Roosevelt -- but a bizarro FDR. He has mustered the legislative strength of his New Deal predecessor -- but he has channeled that strength into propping up the very forces of "organized money" that FDR once challenged.

On healthcare, for instance, Obama passed a Heritage Foundation-inspired bailout of the private health insurance industry, all while undermining other more-progressive proposals. On foreign policy, he escalated old wars and initiated new ones. On civil liberties, he not only continued the Patriot Act and indefinite detention of terrorism suspects but also claimed the right to assassinate American citizens without charge.

On financial issues, he fought off every serious proposal to reregulate banks following the economic meltdown; he preserved ongoing bank bailouts; and he resisted pressure to prosecute Wall Street thieves. On fiscal matters, after extending the Bush tax cuts at a time of massive deficits, he has used the debt ceiling negotiations to set the stage for potentially massive cuts to Social Security and Medicare -- cuts that would be far bigger than any of his proposed revenue increases.

Thoughts?

If you really believe this, then why aren't you out working for a challenger who is a real democrat? This is clearly NOT what you voted for in 2008. You voted for a guy who was going to end the wars, give us Canada-style health care, close Gitmo, get the world to love us again, and make the rich pay their fair share.

But if I read your lament here correctly, he's continued all of Bush's policies, or even expanded on them, and you're just dandy with that.

My complaint with Obama is not a left or right one. I'm right of center on security issues, left of center on social issues and all over the map on economic issues.

My complaint with Obama is that he is weak. He doesn't lead. he's "No Drama Obama" who lets things play out in Congress with all the sausage-making ugliness.

For instance, take Health Care. You know what, having been totally screwed by an insurance company trying to get medical treatment (I eventually got the procedure, but they shortly let me go from that job. Oddly, only people who ran up medical bills were in the first line of cuts.) I can totally be sold on his notion of going to a Canada style health care system. Canadians live longer than we do, spend less, have a lower infant mortality rate and cover everyone. There was an argument to be made to adopt their system.

He didn't make that argument, though. He let all sorts of stuff happen in the house and Senate, he went along with RomneyCare 2.0 in the Senate because after Scott Brown got elected, he knew he couldn't come up with a conference committee version that would survive a filabuster.

In short, he didn't lead, he got cornered.

And you could say the same thing about everything else he's done, really. He's gotten rolled or bullied into his final result, he didn't lead anyone there.

This is why he's the OPPOSITE to Reagan. Reagan led. Reagan got people to go along with him, and even when he made comprimises, he was out front proposing them.

Thoughts?

Thoughts ?

Sure.

You're an idiot.

Anything else you need?

He sure doesnt seem to fight very hard FOR liberal ideals.

I dont know what he is for sure, it may take hindsight to really know.

If Obama is "Reaganesque," you must think Carter was "Washingtonesque."

Moronic...

Thanks for admiring Reagan, though. There's hope.

Thoughts?

:rofl:

you're delusional

whatever political muscle obama had was frittered away on healthcare

his lack of political muscle is equalled only by his inability to correctly prioritize

it's the economy, stupid.

obama = bushIII

To be fair, he inherited quite a mess, but I think comparing him to Carter, FDR, or Reagan is mostly ridiculous, and to a large extent so is the article. He has so much power not because he is so "powerful" or brilliant or a great president, but because he remains popular despite having not earned it. He is a textbook example of being at the right place at the right time and continues to ride that wave.

PS to answer the obvious and incorrect assumption, no I am not a particularly "right wing" and am no fan of Bush's either. He was a horrible president IMO. I'm just sick of the blinders that so many in BOTH parties seem to simply love to wear.

"To be fair, he inherited quite a mess,..."

I heard Juan Williams say the same thing on Fox this morn...

and, 'To Be Fair...," it is such a weak pose.

He inherited nothing. He applied for the job.

And the Right told all he was not up to the task.

Funny how you guys are so desperate to find reasons to praise Obama that you keep comparing him to previous republican presidents. Lulz

Too bad he doesn't have his own successes to stand on.

Thoughts?

:rofl:

you're delusional

whatever political muscle obama had was frittered away on healthcare

his lack of political muscle is equalled only by his inability to correctly prioritize

it's the economy, stupid.

obama = bushIII

Thinking not an option at your house? Just kneejerk cheap shots and slams?

"To be fair, he inherited quite a mess,..."

I heard Juan Williams say the same thing on Fox this morn...

and, 'To Be Fair...," it is such a weak pose.

You are so freaking right on !
He knew what he was up against - he promised "Hope and Change."
He, shall we say, "Epic Failed."

'To Be Fair...," it is such a weak pose.

:rolleyes: Sorry but as I said earlier, I'm not into this childish little us vs them little pong game that so many hard-core lefties and righties love to play against each other here. It's beyond idiotic. So is being unable to grasp what I meant by "he inherited a mess." He applied for the job? Really? He wasn't forced into it? Wow thanks for sharing, what a revelation.

OK sorry for trying to inject a little intelligence and objectivity into the thread. You all go back to your cat fights and have fun.

:rolleyes: Sorry but as I said earlier, I'm not into this childish little us vs them little pong game that so many hard-core lefties and righties love to play against each other here. It's beyond idiotic. So is being unable to grasp what I meant by "he inherited a mess." He applied for the job? Really? He wasn't forced into it? Wow thanks for sharing, what a revelation.

OK sorry for trying to inject a little intelligence and objectivity into the thread. You all go back to your cat fights and have fun.

Yeah, you can't do that here. Not without having half the board on ignore. I swear to God - ever see "West Side Story"? I feel like Anita when she tries to help Tony and Maria, and the Jets attack her. "Maria is dead!"

Obama was forced into his job? By who?

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.

BARACK OBAMA, speech, Feb. 5, 2008

And??

Thoughts ?

Sure.

You're an idiot.

Anything else you need?
How about anything resembling an intelligent reply about the actual topic vs just childish name-calling?

PS try some remedial courses on reading comprehension while you're at it.

Yeah, you can't do that here. Not without having half the board on ignore. I swear to God - ever see "West Side Story"? I feel like Anita when she tries to help Tony and Maria, and the Jets attack her. "Maria is dead!"

You've shown everyone you're a hateful, dumb left wing kook-fringe lunatic.
Do you have yourself on ignore?

Thoughts ?

Sure.

You're an idiot.

Anything else you need?
How about anything resembling an intelligent reply about the actual topic vs just childish name-calling?

PS try some remedial courses on reading comprehension while you're at it.

She's comparing Obama to Reagan. You want me to intelligently discuss that?

Why don't you keep your stupid nose out of places it doesn't belong, asswipe.

Forum List

Back