Obama reaches his hand out and Iran Bites it Off!

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
I have been one to say that America should engage Iran, because talk might settle our difference or it at least gives the US the moral superiority if Iran rejects it. Well it looks like they rejected it. Just as Russia rejected Obama's outstretched hand! My fear now is the neocons are right Obama's approach is showing weakness to the world. Rather it just emboldens our enemies!

Nevertheless, I applaud the gesture, since we need to exhaust all measure and this is one of them before we take it to the next step!

Obama reaches out to Iran - White House- msnbc.com
Quoted by President Obama
President Barack Obama told Iran's people and leaders that the United States wants to engage with their country and end decades of strained relationship, but not unless their officials stop making threats.

Quoted by the Bigoted Madmen in Iran
But Aliakbar Javanfekr, an aide to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, said the Obama administration "should realize its previous mistakes and make an effort to amend them."

"By fundamentally changing its behavior America can offer us a friendly hand," he told Reuters. "Unlimited sanctions which still continue and have been renewed by the United States are wrong and need to be reviewed," he said.

Javanfekr singled out U.S. backing for Israel, Iran's main enemy in the region, saying that: "Supporting Israel is not a friendly gesture."

Iranian officials have said that means the United States needs to stop accusing Iran of seeking to build nuclear weapons and supporting terrorism, charges Tehran has denied.

I have been one to say that America should engage Iran, because talk might settle our difference or it at least gives the US the moral superiority if Iran rejects it. Well it looks like they rejected it. Just as Russia rejected Obama's outstretched hand! My fear now is the neocons are right Obama's approach is showing weakness to the world. Rather it just emboldens our enemies!

Nevertheless, I applaud the gesture, since we need to exhaust all measure and this is one of them before we take it to the next step!

I think they're testing him as everyone knew he'd be tested. His response will determine where things go from here. But I think he did the right thing in trying. Because ultimately, you're correct that all efforts need to be exhausted before being aggressive.

:lol:

oh look.. a zionist jew hoping that America will attack iran. How quaint. It's almost Rockwellian by this point.

Sorry, jew.. America is not your personal jewish ace in the zionist hole. You want to pounce on Iran? Let's see you do something to a nation that can fight back instead of cast leading yourself some fish in the palestine barrel.

Which reminds me.. READ any articles about Cast Lead human attrocities yesterday? Of course you didn't...

I think they're testing him as everyone knew he'd be tested. His response will determine where things go from here. But I think he did the right thing in trying. Because ultimately, you're correct that all efforts need to be exhausted before being aggressive.

The mellowdrama is rich. Listen, if Iran wants to express that our blind support for the racist regime currently in israel chaffes their willingness to accept Obama's handshake then so be it. This is, by no means, a reason to pounce on them like your zionist ass hopes becomes the case. Perhaps YOU can throw the US under a bus for the sake of racist zionism but plenty of non-jews have American opinions too. Especially given Russia's support for Iran. We are not going to fall on our swords for the sake of your zionist racism.

sorry, princess.

The mellowdrama is rich. Listen, if Iran wants to express that our blind support for the racist regime currently in israel chaffes their willingness to accept Obama's handshake then so be it. This is, by no means, a reason to pounce on them like your zionist ass hopes becomes the case. Perhaps YOU can throw the US under a bus for the sake of racist zionism but plenty of non-jews have American opinions too. Especially given Russia's support for Iran. We are not going to fall on our swords for the sake of your zionist racism.

sorry, princess.

You realize that Iran is Persian while the Palestinians are Arab.....also, a vast majority of Palestinians are Sunni Muslim, not Shiite....

But Aliakbar Javanfekr, an aide to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, said the Obama administration "should realize its previous mistakes and make an effort to amend them."

"By fundamentally changing its behavior America can offer us a friendly hand," he told Reuters. "Unlimited sanctions which still continue and have been renewed by the United States are wrong and need to be reviewed," he said.

Javanfekr singled out U.S. backing for Israel, Iran's main enemy in the region, saying that: "Supporting Israel is not a friendly gesture."

Iranian officials have said that means the United States needs to stop accusing Iran of seeking to build nuclear weapons and supporting terrorism, charges Tehran has denied.

Iran needs to stop supporting Hamas & then perhaps we'll have a discussion....we don't need them, they need us.....

gee......this sounds like the superhawks before afganistan and iraq were invaded.......

looks like obama is laying groundwork to invade pakistan and iran......

btw.....when is he going to send troops to darfur for humanitarian purposes

Iran needs to stop supporting Hamas & then perhaps we'll have a discussion....we don't need them, they need us.....

:arrow:

But Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei's response was more than just a dismissive slap at the outreach. It was a broad lesson in the mind-set of Iran's all-powerful theocracy and how it will dictate the pace and tone of any new steps by Obama to chip away at their nearly 30-year diplomatic freeze.

"It's the first stage of the bargaining in classic Iranian style: Be tough and play up your toughness," said Abdulkhaleq Abdulla, a professor of regional politics at United Arab Emirates University. "The Iranian leaders are not about concessions at this stage. It's still all about ideology from the Iranian side."

For Khamenei and his inner circle, that means appearing to stay true to the 1979 Islamic Revolution and the political narrative of rejecting the United States. Any quick gestures by the ruling clerics to mend ties with Washington could be perceived by hard-liners as a betrayal of the revolution.

Iran's non-elected leaders also are carefully weighing how any openings — even small ones — could affect the June 12 presidential race between their apparent choice, hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and reformists led by a former prime minister, Mir Hossein Mousavi.

"This is why this will be a very slow, very complicated process between Iran and the United States," said Abdulla. "Even the theocracy can be pragmatic. When they feel it's in the national interest to reach out to America, they will find a way."

There are no signs of a spring thaw.

Khamenei set the bar impossibly high — demanding an overhaul of U.S. foreign policy, including giving up "unconditional support" for Israel and halting claims that Iran is seeking nuclear arms. Iran insists its nuclear program is only for peaceful energy purposes.

"Have you released Iranian assets? Have you lifted oppressive sanctions? Have you given up mudslinging and making accusations against the great Iranian nation and its officials?" Khamenei said in a speech in the northeastern city of Mashhad. The crowd chanted "Death to America."

Despite Obama's offer, the State Department still lists Iran as a sponsor of terrorism for its backing of militant groups such as Lebanon's Hezbollah. In Iraq, U.S. officials accuse Iran of aiding Shiite militias whose targets have included American soldiers.
The Associated Press: Iran's response to US shows mind-set of leadership

Given the previous state of relations it's a big ask for anyone to accept that there's a new approach being offered so there will be some suspicion on behalf of the Iranians. They know that, unlike the situation in Iran, Obama isn't a supreme leader who can just issue an order and watch the country obey. I heard some ordinary Iranians on BBC radio expressing their appreciation of the gesture and their hope that relations would improve.

It's no surprise that Ahmadinejad (sp?) is taking a negative view, he has to, he's in deep trouble domestically, he has nothing to lose by snarling and it would appeal to the right wingers in Iran, his base.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the real bosses in Iran see these overtures. All we've seen are public statement from both sides, we don't know what's going on through the back channels.

Iran = a wart on the planets ass that needs to be ICED

I am sick and tired of their ranting and hatred and threats and funding terrorism across the planet and especially in the mideast.

Obama made a nice gesture, but he can't seriously expect anything but a tepid response from Iran and other countries unless he makes serious and necessary foreign policy changes. The Iranian government is pretty douchey, though.

Obama made a nice gesture, but he can't seriously expect anything but a tepid response from Iran and other countries unless he makes serious and necessary foreign policy changes. The Iranian government is pretty douchey, though.

Bull shit! This is to start talks that could lead to relations. Obama has promised nothing of the sort. And the bull shit that we need to change and we must do this and that. Bull shit, the Islamic regime must make some huge fundamental changes also for RELATIONS TO GET BETTER! But neither side, especially the grand hypocrites in charge of Iran, should be making such demands!

Bull shit! This is to start talks that could lead to relations. Obama has promised nothing of the sort. And the bull shit that we need to change and we must do this and that. Bull shit, the Islamic regime must make some huge fundamental changes also for RELATIONS TO GET BETTER! But neither side, especially the grand hypocrites in charge of Iran, should be making such demands!

They seem to want us to prove that we're willing to make changes before they talk to us. That was my point. No use in getting so worked up...

And what we have read of the exchange is just about what you'd expect from round one of the diplomatic dance.

What?

Did you expect Iran NOT to say the sanctions had to be lifted?

Did you expect Iran NOT to object to the support the USA gives Isreal?

It's called DIPLOMACY and it takes times.

They seem to want us to prove that we're willing to make changes before they talk to us. That was my point. No use in getting so worked up...

Well fuck them then! I have supported Obama's call for talks with Iran long before he did it, but I strongly am against the US taking a stance of being the wrongful party, which thank god we haven't (yet!). If anything the Iranians needs to change many many of the totalitarian, xenophobic, terrorist supporting, genocidal preaching and nuclear arms ambitions aspects about them before American should have RELATIONS with them and we should do NOTHING before then in regards to having relations. However, neither party should be required to do anything while talks are being started!

I am getting the feeling that although you seem well educated and non-radical Muslim, you still have a strong streak of being a self-hating or self-loafing American. Rather you don't see America as the best country on god's green earth. Rather you she her as many in the middle east erroneously do, as the perpetrator!

Well fuck them then! I have supported Obama's call for talks with Iran long before he did it, but I strongly am against the US taking a stance of being the wrongful party, which thank god we haven't (yet!). If anything the Iranians needs to change many many of the totalitarian, xenophobic, terrorist supporting, genocidal preaching and nuclear arms ambitions aspects about them before American should have RELATIONS with them and we should do NOTHING before then in regards to having relations.
We're already allies with Saudi Arabia, a country whose government probably fits all of those descriptions. Israel's government fits at least two (as does our own government.) Both are simply more willing to bend to our will than Iran is. Iran's government sort of sucks, but it really isn't more backward than most countries in the world are, including a good number of our allies.

However, neither party should be required to do anything while talks are being started!
I agree. We should be making foreign policy changes for our own sake, not because Iran or anybody else wants us to.

I am getting the feeling that although you seem well educated and non-radical Muslim, you still have a strong streak of being a self-hating or self-loafing American. Rather you don't see America as the best country on god's green earth. Rather you she her as many in the middle east erroneously do, as the perpetrator!
I like America. If I didn't, I wouldn't live here... I'd probably rather live here than anywhere else. Still, I try to be realistic. We've made a lot of fuck-ups in our history that we need to own up to. We're still making some fuck-ups that we need to put an end to. To be honest, I think that recognizing the country's flaws and wanting to do something about them will be more beneficial in the long run than waving the flag and pretending as if they aren't there.

"I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." - James A. Baldwin

Quoted by President Obama
President Barack Obama told Iran's people and leaders that the United States wants to engage with their country and end decades of strained relationship, but not unless their officials stop making threats.

I'm guessing the bolded portion might have irritated them quite a bit. It is true that the Iranian leadership essentially calls Israel evil, but I don't know if insults amount to threats, and Iran hasn't been much for initiating open conflicts, unlike Israel and America. Iran and America probably won't be super best friends as long as America favors Israel.

Iran = a wart on the planets ass that needs to be ICED

I am sick and tired of their ranting and hatred and threats and funding terrorism across the planet and especially in the mideast.

An example of why I don't blame them if they're seeking nukes for weapons and not just power. Right now Israel can harass them with impunity. Those days are numbered. Efforts to prevent them from acquiring nukes will fail eventually.

I'm guessing the bolded portion might have irritated them quite a bit. It is true that the Iranian leadership essentially calls Israel evil, but I don't know if insults amount to threats, and Iran hasn't been much for initiating open conflicts, unlike Israel and America. Iran and America probably won't be super best friends as long as America favors Israel.
I'm just curious are people on the left simple stupid, ignorant, cowards or all of the above?

Saying Israel needs to be "wiped off the map." "Calling her a cancer and a corpse." Are direct threat no matter how you weak minds can twist it.

An example of why I don't blame them if they're seeking nukes for weapons and not just power. Right now Israel can harass them with impunity. Those days are numbered. Efforts to prevent them from acquiring nukes will fail eventually.
That is just plain ignorant. The biggest threat of a nuclear Iran is NOT its threat against Israel, because honesty I don't think Iran would nuke Israel, not from lack of desire, but rather I doubt they would want to scarifice that entire Persia people in order to destroy Israel. Iran nukes Israel, expect 200+ Israel nukes to target Persia, not to mention American and British nukes! The main reason to not want an atomic Iran is the nuclear arms race that would ensue. Many people neglect to realize that the Persians and the Arabs have never been buddies. A nuclear arms race would be triggers and even barbaric countries like Somolia would get their hands on nukes!

Forum List

Back