Obama Puts Census Under Rahm Emanuel's Control

colbaltblue52

Rookie
Nov 10, 2008
The Obama Administration moved the census out of the Department of Commerce and into the White House:

Here's another sign that democrats intend to keep their majorities in Congress.
No Quarter wrote about this political development:

LisaB, earlier today, asked a lot of sharp questions about the Obama administration’s move of the census out of the Department of Commerce and into the White House.

Now, why would Rahm Emanuel want the Census under his control in the White House? Huh? Why might that be? “The census is used to allocate federal aid to states and draw electoral districts,” the New York Times editorial board wrote in order to REMIND PRESIDENT OBAMA that he might not want a REPUBLICAN in charge of drawing “electoral districts.” Good god almighty. So now Obama’s administration has decided that they’ll do the census themselves.
What a shock... It looks like Obama learned a trick or two while he was palling around with those Chicago politicians after all.

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2009/02/2010-census-will-be-under-rahm-emanuels.html

Edited to include link. In the future, all quotes must be linked and only part of the article in question posted. If, until you reach 16 posts, you have anything you want to link, contact a mod or admin for assistance. otherwise the posts will have to be deleted. Thanks

Link?

United States Census Bureau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Bureau of the Census is part of the United States Department of Commerce. The agency director is a political appointee selected by the current President.

United States Department of Commerce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does the OP not get about the fact that's it not moving into the White House because it's always been in there. The Census was run by the Department of Commerce who[s Secretary is appointed by Obama.

What I'm wondering is where OP got Rahm Emanuel's name into this? He's the Chief of Staff. Unless of course he's one of those people who think the Jews now run the White House. :lol:

Link?

United States Census Bureau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Bureau of the Census is part of the United States Department of Commerce. The agency director is a political appointee selected by the current President.

United States Department of Commerce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does the OP not get about the fact that's it not moving into the White House because it's always been in there. The Census was run by the Department of Commerce who[s Secretary is appointed by Obama.

What I'm wondering is where OP got Rahm Emanuel's name into this? He's the Chief of Staff. Unless of course he's one of those people who think the Jews now run the White House. :lol:
you are uninformed, as usual

while your links are correct, that where it USED to be
Obama is changing it since he picked Gregg for Commerce

thats why this STINKS

Personally, I don't think he should have put someone in charge of Commerce who voted to disband the dept of commerce. I certainly don't think he should have someone in charge of the census who opposed funding the census. But it is funny watching the hysteria.

Under the Bush administration, the Census Bureau director reported to the commerce secretary. Obama is adding oversight of the director by senior White House aides, but keeping the bureau itself under the umbrella of the Department of Commerce, White House spokesman Ben LaBolt said.

After Obama nominated a Republican, New Hampshire Sen. Judd Gregg, to head Commerce, Latino advocates voiced concern about him overseeing the politically delicate task of determining the nation's population. But LaBolt suggested Obama's changes to the organizational structure have been long in the making.

*snip*

As a current member and former chairman of the subcommittee that funds the U.S. Census Bureau, Secretary-designate Gregg fought President Clinton's efforts to increase funding for the Commerce Department to administer the 2000 Census," the statement read. "During his tenure in the U.S. Senate, some policymakers questioned his commitment to supporting the basic functions of the Bureau."

Census Director to Work Directly with White House | 44 | washingtonpost.com

BTW, did any of the hysterics ask how it was done before the good folk at BushCheney, Inc got their widdle hands on it?

Didn't think so... but gridgingly buried at the end of a FauxNews article:

I think the historical precedent of this is there's a director of the census that works for the secretary of commerce, the president and also works closely with the White House to ensure a timely and accurate count," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

The Clinton and Bush administrations had different ways of dealing with the census. The Clinton administration placed a panel of experts at the Census Bureau in charge of adjusting data for people the census missed or double-counted. Clinton officials said it would insulate the decision from political pressure.

The Bush administration changed those regulations before that panel ruled on the 2000 results, leaving it up to the commerce secretary to oversee the bureau's work.

Political Battle Brews Over 2010 Census - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

oops..... hysteria is so much fun to watch. michelle malkin twists reality and the bloggers all jump after her.... and not a single one of the righties even asks how it was done before

heh... now aren't y'all embarrassed

thats why this STINKS

actually...what *stunk* (past tense) was Bush and the boys politicizing it by handing it to a republican congressional committee before the panel could make its rulings (you know, heaven forbid we actually count minority voters or anything silly like that).

and i wouldn't let greg anywhere near commerce, anyway.

thats why this STINKS

actually...what *stunk* (past tense) was Bush and the boys politicizing it by handing it to a republican congressional committee before the panel could make its rulings (you know, heaven forbid we actually count minority voters or anything silly like that).

and i wouldn't let greg anywhere near commerce, anyway.
well, clearly your Messiah disagrees with you, since he selected him

and btw, the census isnt supposed to count minorities, its supposed to count PEOPLE

and btw, the census isnt supposed to count minorities, its supposed to count PEOPLE

I've never said he was the "messiah". That's a right wing thing. I'm jewish. You know we believe the messiah hasn't come yet. ;)

(And if you recall, I was a hillary person... voting for the better alternative doesn't make me suddenly think someone loses all flaws.)

And I'm not going to agree with every decision he makes. Bi-partisanship is fine... on issues where dems and repubs have common goals and ideologies.... or with particular people who are able to do the right thing regardless of politics (David Gergen was like that).

and while the census may count PEOPLE, the populations that are growing are minority populations. why do you think Bush took it away from the nice non-partison comittee that used to do the job?

My point was that Michelle Malkin freaks out over somthing being returned to the way it was before Bush politicized it and the right wingnut blogosphere follows in rather shrill fashion.

The opinions of that wingnut blogoshphere then get recycled as fact. (left and right wingnut blogoshere... this issue just happens to be the right).

I've never said he was the "messiah". That's a right wing thing. I'm jewish. You know we believe the messiah hasn't come yet. ;)

(And if you recall, I was a hillary person... voting for the better alternative doesn't make me suddenly think someone loses all flaws.)

And I'm not going to agree with every decision he makes. Bi-partisanship is fine... on issues where dems and repubs have common goals and ideologies.... or with particular people who are able to do the right thing regardless of politics (David Gergen was like that).

and while the census may count PEOPLE, the populations that are growing are minority populations. why do you think Bush took it away from the nice non-partison comittee that used to do the job?

My point was that Michelle Malkin freaks out over somthing being returned to the way it was before Bush politicized it and the right wingnut blogosphere follows in rather shrill fashion.

The opinions of that wingnut blogoshphere then get recycled as fact. (left and right wingnut blogoshere... this issue just happens to be the right).
the Messiah thing was a joke, you should understand that by now

and it has ALWAYS been under the commerce dept
and it was going to be when Richardson was the person for Commerce
so your excuse is BS

New Topics

Forum List

Back