Obama promised as candidate he would not

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
Obama promised as a candidate he would not go around Congress with Presidential signing statements. He has violated that pledge repeatedly. Any care to defend him?

Even Lincoln changed his mind to fit the need.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.
I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I don't believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be error; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

Last edited:

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.
I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I don't believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be error; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

So you are fine with Obama lying to get elected? You realize he has signed several hundred executive orders?

Lying or trying? Hard to decide. All politicans state their intended purposes while in office and I believe that Onama has tried to change things, but, there is much resistance to Obama

Lying or trying? Hard to decide. All politicans state their intended purposes while in office and I believe that Onama has tried to change things, but, there is much resistance to Obama

He lied, how many has he told? Just go back to 2008 and read again all the things he was supposedly against that he is now for and all the things he was gonna do that he never did.

Obama promised as a candidate he would not go around Congress with Presidential signing statements. He has violated that pledge repeatedly. Any care to defend him?

I can only surmise theat he was woefully unaware of, and unprepared for, just what it means to be President...

So you are fine with Obama lying to get elected? You realize he has signed several hundred executive orders?

executive orders aren't signing statements, which is what obama pledged not to use to do an end run around congress.

of course, he's used signing statements a number of times, too.

I can only surmise theat he was woefully unaware of, and unprepared for, just what it means to be President...

i can imagine that it was quite a shock and an over whelming surge of people in your face telling you what to do and begging for something.

concur

it would explain why he's been less thsn stellar

carter redux

concur

carter redux

I think it is true of many a man who takes that chair. I can only think that former Vice Presidents have a clue, and then only a slight one...

executive orders aren't signing statements, which is what obama pledged not to use to do an end run around congress.

but not to the same purpose as bush... which was in fact to basically say that the laws in question were not enforceable in the manner intended by congress.

signing statements as a general rule have been used by many presidents. traditionally saying something in support of the bill being signed into law.

and THAT is why people objected to bush.

p.s. bush used a LOT more executive orders.

concur

carter redux

Hopefully this version doesn't include an Iranian portion.

but not to the same purpose as bush... which was in fact to basically say that the laws in question were not enforceable in the manner intended by congress.

signing statements as a general rule have been used by many presidents. traditionally saying something in support of the bill being signed into law.

and THAT is why people objected to bush.

p.s. bush used a LOT more executive orders.

290 in eight years.

Same link

concur

carter redux

i wouldn't compare him to carter, though i know that's the meme. carter didn't have to deal with a group of people who said "i hope he fails" before he even did anything.

that said, i think he should have been hillary's VP BEFORE he was president. but now he's had 3 plus years. he knows the job.

and remember that then the alternative was palin... and the rise of the rabid right...

and now the alternative is returning to the same things that caused our current problems in the first place.

concur

carter redux

i wouldn't compare him to carter, though i know that's the meme. carter didn't have to deal with a group of people who said "i hope he fails" before he even did anything.

that said, i think he should have been hillary's VP BEFORE he was president. but now he's had 3 plus years. he knows the job.

and remember that then the alternative was palin... and the rise of the rabid right...

and now the alternative is returning to the same things that caused our current problems in the first place.
disagree. McCain's mother is 98 years old. and it will be funny when Obama attacks Iran and his followers get right behind him.

New Topics

Forum List

Back