Obama policies hammered following coal-mine closings, layoffs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Vel, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    Obama policies hammered following coal-mine closings, layoffs
    y Joseph Weber
    Energy In America
    Published September 19, 2012
    FoxNews.com

The announcement that 1,200 coal-mining jobs have been eliminated across central Appalachia has sparked renewed cries that Obama administration policies are crippling domestic-energy production and jobs -- and is already factoring into the 2012 presidential race.
    Alpha Natural Resources announced Tuesday its plan to cut the positions and scale back coal production by 16 million tons annually -- which would result in eight mine closings in Virginia, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Four-hundred workers will be laid off immediately, though the company reportedly may try to re-hire some of the 1,200.
    Kevin Crutchfield, the company’s chief executive officer, said the lay-offs and the closings of the non-union mines are the result a difficult market in which power plants are switching to abundant, less-expensive natural gas and "a regulatory environment that's aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal."

However, elected officials and business groups have been less oblique in their analysis, saying Alpha employees are victims of President Obama’s so-called "War on Coal."
    The Mitt Romney campaign is among the most recent to put the blame squarely on the president, releasing a TV ad Wednesday that reminds voters about what Obama said in 2008.
    “If somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can, it's just that it will bankrupt them,” the president said, in a quote interpreted by critics as a campaign promise that coal would have no future in an Obama White House.

Obama policies hammered following coal-mine closings, layoffs | Fox News

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. Jroc

Jroc יעקב כהן Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,524
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. OKTexas

OKTexas New Life Member of the NRA 12/15 Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,185
    Funny, didn't Maobama carry those States in 08, I guess the old saying be careful what you wish for still holds true. Ya think they might reconsider this time?

4. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,954
    He promised he would eliminate coal with heavy duty regulations. And I've no doubt though, good union dems still voted for him in 2008.

How stupid are people? Don't answer. I know I know. He carried those states that will now lose jobs.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    This is going to hurt Obama. There are alot of coal states that could turn.

6. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,954
    Interesting electoral map vs coal states layout from red state.

[​IMG]

If the Obama administration keeps up their War on Coal (literally: they consider coal more dangerous than terrorism), quite possibly. And it may be at least partially because of coal.

The basic framework for this argument is this map:

[​IMG]

…which shows the top sixteen coal-producing states in the USA. There’s a total of 182 Electoral Votes at stake, there – and in 2008 there were 180.

Obama actually won coal-producing states in 2008, 100 to 80; and if no states flip in November, he’ll win them, 96 to 86. Except that… states are going to flip. Indiana’s already gone; and of the remaining six Obama states only New Mexico and Illinois are not considered toss-ups.

The administration’s relentless hostility towards coal production and use may have already contributed to Democratic electoral disaster: since Obama took office the state governments and legislatures of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia have all been taken over by Republicans; in Colorado we flipped the House of Representatives; and in New Mexico we captured the governorship.

Heck, we even gained seats in the Illinois legislature, and came very close to winning the governorship.

More at link:

Electoral implications of the Obama Administration’s War on Coal. | RedState

7. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,390
    1,200 jobs.

It's laughable that there is a thread about Siemens laying off 400 with the blame placed on Republicans for allowing a wind generation tax credit to expire.

Clean coal technology exists and it's proven. Is it expensive? Hell yes, but it works.

So rather than promote it and finance it, Obama chooses to bury the coal industry. Same for oil and gas. Bury it and be done with it to make way for alternatives/renewables.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
  9. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,628
    Oh. I think they just might.

I think Barrys green bs is gonna cost him at the polls.

Who will vote for a guy who thinks how you earn a living should disappear??

I'm sure no ones to happy about the 500 million wasted on Solyndra, the green bs, either.

10. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914

Just wait until the pink slips from Obama's failure to specify budget cuts start hitting a few days before the election. Thousands are expected to get their layoff notices due to automatic cuts.