Obama policies about to kill a small business

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Obama certainly deserves credit here, without him this company would be prospering.

Don't worry though, he didn't build that.

With just his dream, determination and hard work, Bill Keith started a solar fan business nearly a decade ago out of his garage in northwest Indiana. The one-time roofer simply wanted to make enough money to care for his family and to create a ripple effect for other workers, particularly in this economically depressed area outside Chicago.
Keith vowed to create his solar attic fans entirely out of parts made in the United States.
Using only the sun's energy, the fan pumps hot air out of the attic -- lowering cooling bills -- and doesn't have to be in direct sunlight to work. His first year, Keith said he barely made enough to scrape by -- about $39,000 in sales.

Obama policy could put solar 'poster boy' out of business - CNN

so free trade with China is bad because it enables America's to buy green stuff that saves them energy and money??

I wonder if China forbids the Chinese people from buying medical stuff from us that will save their lives? I hope for their sake that their government believes in free trade and is not populated by deadly liberals.

The same people bashing Obama for this also bash him for not being "tough enough" toward China. Which is it?

The same people bashing Obama for this also bash him for not being "tough enough" toward China. Which is it?

most economists believe in free trade which is why we've had more of it recently.

Imagine a world with 1 million people instead of 7 billion. There would be far fewer people with whom to trade and far more poverty.
Over a liberal's head???

Quantum Windbag, Bill Keith and his SunRise Solar company’s fans for attics would sell very well if we conducted our global trade to serve our own best interests.

Refer to the topic
of “Warren Buffett's concept to significantly reduce USA's trade deficit”
Last posted at10:31PM, July 10, 2012.

Respectfully, Supposn

So in the mean time, we take businesses that were put on a pedestal, for political gain, and now ignore because they have served their political purpose.

We have a guy that is trying to run a small business, and government is going to put him out of business.

Sad

most economists believe in free trade which is why we've had more of it recently.

Imagine a world with 1 million people instead of 7 billion. There would be far fewer people with whom to trade and far more poverty.
Over a liberal's head???

I've never encountered an economist that doesn't believe in the overall good of free trade (some think we need protectionist measures for social reasons, but that's a different issue). That doesn't change the point at the rhetoric though.

Quantum Windbag, for a nation that generally suffers annual trade deficits, Warren Buffett’s concept of Import Certificates, ICs) is far superior to tariffs or to USA’s seeking “pure” unrestricted free trade.
I can best explain the IC version I’m a proponent of by comparing it to the more familiar tariffs.

Transferable ICs are ONLY issued to exporters of USA goods. They’re issued for face amounts of the USA goods assessed values IF they agree to pay the assessment fees defray ALL, (BUT ONLY ALL) net federal expenses due to this trade policy.

The assessed values of the goods are the ICs “face values” expressed in U.S. dollars.
(Values of specifically listed precious or scarce minerals integral to the goods, (e.g. gold, diamonds, crude oil, rare earths) are excluded from all assessments).

Importers of foreign goods are required to surrender ICs of face values that will cover the assessed values of their goods; surrendered ICs are cancelled.

Unlike tariffs, USA purchasers' additional costs for foreign goods are Markets’ rather than a federal determined.
ICs are an indirect but effective subsidy of USA exported goods and even if they added only a dime to each imported item they will effectively eliminate USA’s trade deficit of all assessment adjusted goods.

Note that This IC policy is grants government no policy discretion. Assessing the value of goods is a technical rather than a policy determination.

Refer to the topic
of “Warren Buffett's concept to significantly reduce USA's trade deficit’

Respectfully, Supposn

I've never encountered an economist that doesn't believe in the overall good of free trade.

yes, the more with whom you trade the richer you get. Imagine if you had to make everything yourself!!

Its a simple concept but way way over a liberals head.

Quantum Windbag, for a nation that generally suffers annual trade deficits, Warren Buffett’s concept of Import Certificates, ICs) is far superior to tariffs or to USA’s seeking “pure” unrestricted free trade.
I can best explain the IC version I’m a proponent of by comparing it to the more familiar tariffs.

Transferable ICs are ONLY issued to exporters of USA goods. They’re issued for face amounts of the USA goods assessed values IF they agree to pay the assessment fees defray ALL, (BUT ONLY ALL) net federal expenses due to this trade policy.

The assessed values of the goods are the ICs “face values” expressed in U.S. dollars.
(Values of specifically listed precious or scarce minerals integral to the goods, (e.g. gold, diamonds, crude oil, rare earths) are excluded from all assessments).

Importers of foreign goods are required to surrender ICs of face values that will cover the assessed values of their goods; surrendered ICs are cancelled.

Unlike tariffs, USA purchasers' additional costs for foreign goods are Markets’ rather than a federal determined.
ICs are an indirect but effective subsidy of USA exported goods and even if they added only a dime to each imported item they will effectively eliminate USA’s trade deficit of all assessment adjusted goods.

Note that This IC policy is grants government no policy discretion. Assessing the value of goods is a technical rather than a policy determination.

Refer to the topic
of “Warren Buffett's concept to significantly reduce USA's trade deficit’

Respectfully, Supposn

We do not suffer trade deficits.

Feel free to point out where I say Obama is not tough enough toward China.

The people bashing Obama for this in general, not you specifically. However, do you disagree with Romney's criticisms of Obama's China policy?

Don't know, I have no idea what he said.

Romney has stated that one of his five executive orders will be order the Treasury Department to place massive tariffs on Chinese exports to the United States.

Romney’s campaign website site says that one of five executive orders the Republican would issue on his first day in the White House would be one that directs the Treasury Department to list China as a currency manipulator and instructs the Commerce Department “to assess countervailing duties on Chinese imports if China does not quickly move to float its currency.”

Business Roundtable

The good news is that the business community thinks he's just flexing on the campaign trail and won't actually do it. I hope they're right.

“to assess countervailing duties on Chinese imports if China does not quickly move to float its currency.”

That's all we need in the middle of a long depression to create even more turmoil all around the world. Let's hope Romney knows that a floating currency should come about slowly. In any case China would be smarter to ignore Romney and keep the policy that has given them 10% for 30 years!!

Last edited:
The people bashing Obama for this in general, not you specifically. However, do you disagree with Romney's criticisms of Obama's China policy?

Don't know, I have no idea what he said.

Romney has stated that one of his five executive orders will be order the Treasury Department to place massive tariffs on Chinese exports to the United States.

Romney’s campaign website site says that one of five executive orders the Republican would issue on his first day in the White House would be one that directs the Treasury Department to list China as a currency manipulator and instructs the Commerce Department “to assess countervailing duties on Chinese imports if China does not quickly move to float its currency.”

Business Roundtable
The good news is that the business community thinks he's just flexing on the campaign trail and won't actually do it. I hope they're right.

Why would Romney starting a trade war? He apparently doesn't know that he wouldn't actually have the power to do that without violating international law.

We do not suffer trade deficits.

Quantum Windbag, when the annual values of nation’s imports exceeds our exports, that’s the nation’s annual trade deficit. Each year for more than a half century the USA has suffered annual trade deficits of goods.

Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back