Obama plans to expand overtime eligibility for millions of workers

But nothing is stopping you from doing that right now, is it?

If you want to slash someone's wages, you can do it whether they qualify for OT or not

Funny how you use the word slash when you don't even know the pay rates.

Oh but then again you think a smaller than planned increase is a cut so .

You obviously realize that if new overtime regulations were to take effect that you could slash your workers pay and there is probably nothing they can do about it in the current job market

So, why don't you just cut what you pay your employees now?

They obviously have little recourse. If they don't like it...leave

I am talking about a salaried position NOT all hourly positions since the overtime laws for hourly positions have not changed.

I do not authorize any of my hourly employees to work any overtime.

I don't know how many times I have to say it but here we go again.

The reasoning behind a salaried position is that a person given more responsibility than an hourly employee gets a higher salary than he would if he remained hourly with the agreement that he may have to work more than 40 hours. Salaried positions often have better benefits as well (at least mine do such as a better 401 package and 50% paid disability insurance)

I expect my salaried asst mgr to put in anywhere from 42 to 48 hours in a given week.

If you add it all up the benefits that go along with the salaried position outweigh the loss of overtime pay

Now I can't do both the extra benefits AND the overtime so the fucking government is making the choice not the employee.

And you see nothing wrong with that.
Then, as long as you employ less than 50 people, none of this should apply to you.
Because, as I understand it, the salary threshold for OT is suggested to be 50 or 55.
Bigger companies, with more than 50 employees, are abusing their salary managers.
They keep the hourly employees under 28 to avoid ACA and pile the extra burden on their management

Who are they?

Sorry but sweeping generalizations are meaningless.

Not every company with 50 employees is doing this.
In my instance, it's the food service industry.
Most, if not all by now, larger chains are doing it

Why did Obama pussy out? Why didn't he order the businesses to make these workers all millionaires?

How much does Hillary pay her interns for overtime? Oops - she doesn't even pay them for regular time.

greed.jpg

People need to make a living too. Especially if they work for it.
Obamafairness.jpg

I have to ask.....

If the economy has created so many jobs...why are people saying that so many people are still lining up for what jobs there are ?

At 12 million new jobs....we should be at max low unemployment and we should have upwards income pressures. Or am I thinking about this wrong ?

Why would we need minimum wage laws....we should be seeing competition for those workers just rocket.

And why would Obama need to do anything for managers. Economics says we should be seeing all kinds of upward wage pressures.

I don't get it.

The private sector has added 12.8 million jobs over 64 straight months of job growth, extending the longest streak on record. Today we learned that total nonfarm employment rose by 223,000 in June—and all those jobs came from the private sector. Although total job growth was revised down somewhat in April and May, much of the revision is attributable to lower government employment than previously estimated. On the whole, our economy has added 2.9 million new jobs over the past twelve months, near the fifteen-year high achieved in February.

I'm game ?

Is this just the addition of jobs or a net increase ?

Assuming that we have somewhere around 120MM Working Americans (don't know what the figure is), This would be a ten percent increase. That means we'd be at almost 0% unemployment.

And yet I keep reading about a decreasing workforce.....can you provide some more context.

the proposal would more than double the maximum income a salaried worker can earn and still be eligible for overtime pay to $50,440, or $970 a week. The current threshold is $23,660.

Once again management has been abusing the rules and claiming that those that earn $23,661 are "managers" an ineligible for overtime

Well, just the hell why not? Obama calls 26 year old men and women. 'children'

-Geaux
They are not children

Obamacare was once again having to compensate for abusive employer practices of hiring young employees as "temps" with no benefits

If employers were offering full healthcare to new employees, he would not have had to do that
No most Millennials are children.

Well if someone works more than 40 hrs and they dont get paid for that, how is that fair to the employee? Any employer that is even half way decent pays for overtime as long as they continue to ask the employee, they should pay. The days of the employee giving everything for the employee are over, long gone. Its a dog eat dog world and country we have now. You want me to work, you pay. I'm not there for the owner, I'm there for me, and me only. You pretend to pay me, I pretend to work.

Well if someone works more than 40 hrs and they dont get paid for that, how is that fair to the employee? Any employer that is even half way decent pays for overtime as long as they continue to ask the employee, they should pay. The days of the employee giving everything for the employee are over, long gone. Its a dog eat dog world and country we have now. You want me to work, you pay. I'm not there for the owner, I'm there for me, and me only. You pretend to pay me, I pretend to work.
How many times you been fired? My guess is at least Six times and unemployed right now, or you are just a keyboard commando, working at Arbys

nope...RETIRED and loving it. Owned my own business. Paid my workers well as it should be. I'm working for my family, not you. Never been fired but walked out on 2 jobs 40 years ago. Greatest days of my life.

most people pretend to work, regardless of their pay scale. That's just the way most people ARE. At least, in the US. Our work ethic is almost completely gone.

most people pretend to work, regardless of their pay scale. That's just the way most people ARE. At least, in the US. Our work ethic is almost completely gone.

It's amazing that the U.S. has such a high Productivity rating (one of the highest if not the highest in the World) given such abject laziness.

Forum List

Back