Obama Plans $450 Million Cash For Egypt

Editec -

The current government in Egypt does not reprsent an elite - at least, not to the extent that the previous Mubarak administration did.

How much support the protestors might have is difficult to guage - I doubt many posters would even feel to qualified to put numbers of the 99% protests that took place in their own cities.

Well, I would say it makes sense to promote the moderates, doesn't it?

Sometimes reading these threads I get the impression the poster hasn't read a news story about Egypt for years and likely couldn't place Aswan on a map.

Mystifying.

But you can, right? You're special.

The U.S. is always talking about spreading democracy and democratic ideals.

Egypt has now became a true democracy by the vote of the people.

Shouldn't America support that budding democracy anyway we can? :cool:

Last edited:
Congress pretty much just voted against this, so Barry wont be able to help his muslim brotherhood friends out just yet.
US House Blocks Obama Administration’s Plan to Send $450 Million to Egypt | TheBlaze.com

If so, that would be very unfortunate.

If the US does not support pro-western moderates like Mosri, they'll soon have to deal with extremists.

Morsi just came out, after taking his sweet time to denounce the attacks that his countrymen were waging on our embassy, and said that Egypt will be allies with the U.S. on Egypt's terms. That's fine, well and good, but if we're giving on $450 million, it better be for our terms.

Well, I would say it makes sense to promote the moderates, doesn't it?

Sometimes reading these threads I get the impression the poster hasn't read a news story about Egypt for years and likely couldn't place Aswan on a map.

Mystifying.

We should support the moderates. Morsi isn't a moderate so we should not support his government.

So, they attack us and we give them money

something wrong with this picture?

Egypt is not a friendly government.

It's absurd American money is going to people who hate America.

From the OP's link...

The United States Agency for International Development notified Congress of the cash infusion on Friday morning during the pre-election recess, promptly igniting a smoldering debate over foreign aid and the administration’s handling of crises in the Islamic world.

An influential Republican lawmaker, Representative Kay Granger of Texas, immediately announced that she would use her position as chairwoman of the House appropriations subcommittee overseeing foreign aid to block the distribution of the money. She said the American relationship with Egypt “has never been under more scrutiny” than it is in the wake of the election of President Mohamed Morsi, a former leader of the Muslim Brotherhood.

“I am not convinced of the urgent need for this assistance and I cannot support it at this time,” Ms. Granger said in a statement that her office issued even before the administration announced the package.

She's got it right!

Forum List

Back