Obama-Pelosi Lame Duck Strategy

What do you hope for from Congress for the rest of 2010?

• I want the Democrats to get it done whatever they have to do to do that. It's our only hope.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want Congress to stop and think and not act hastily, now and later.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Other. I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
This is not--repeat NOT--from John Fund, but I have been watching the 'underground' media and blogs lately as well as listening to lots of talking heads on TV and disembodied voices on the radio. And there is an undercurrent that may be pure fabrication, but. . . .

That theory is that the first order of Congress when they return from summer recess will be immigration reform which will include general amnesty WITH a fast track to citizenship. With 10 to 12 million new loyal grateful voters at their disposal, plus they expect the entire Hispanic community to reward them, they could not only keep control of Congress in 2010 but solidify their power in 2012 and retain control long enough to finish dismantling America as we have known it.

I have consistently resisted this as foolish and fictitious internet banter. But when you look at the agenda for the next six months, it is beginning to feel more and more plausible.

That's highly improbable and more than likely not even possible. It sounds more like a conspiracy theory to me.

Yeah it has sounded like a conspiracy theory to me too. And I hope beyond hope that you, Charles, me, and everybody who assumes that are right.

But again, I would never in a gazillion years have expected a President and Congress to push through that healthcare bill in the manner that they did it with no bipartisan support and a large majority of Americans opposing it.

But that has been the way it has been going since the bailout in 2008. Most Americans opposed that too. And TARP. And the takeover of the financial institutions and the auto industry. And that pork laden appropriations bill earlier this year.

They don't care what we think any more. They've gotten away with it all.

And that is beginning to make the most implausible things they might do look a lot more plausible.

This is going to be a long six months.

Yeah it has sounded like a conspiracy theory to me too. And I hope beyond hope that you, Charles, me, and everybody who assumes that are right.

But again, I would never in a gazillion years have expected a President and Congress to push through that healthcare bill in the manner that they did it with no bipartisan support and a large majority of Americans opposing it.

But that has been the way it has been going since the bailout in 2008. Most Americans opposed that too. And TARP. And the takeover of the financial institutions and the auto industry. And that pork laden appropriations bill earlier this year.

They don't care what we think any more. They've gotten away with it all.

And that is beginning to make the most implausible things they might do look a lot more plausible.

This is going to be a long six months.

This is a bit different than health care deform. To naturalize million of people in just a few months simply isn't possible.

My sincerest hope is that folks will consider ALL of the consequences of their actions.

I can't say the dems are shit, nor could I say that about the repubs,

but I CAN say this:

I want the constitution, and my bill of rights, and I'm fucking SICK of laws that no one but lawyers can "understand,"

and that have so many loopholes, they are nothing more than a sieve.

THAT isn't how it was supposed to be.

Obama will push the lazy fearfull congress to get a few more things done.
I totally dissagree with the lame duck comments. He's getting a few more feathers in his cap. With which he will crush whatever pussy the republicans role out as victim number two.
My question is does the republiklan change the strategy of he's not an american, he muslim, has that strategy ever worked before?

Here's some research of possibilities as of a month ago. Will update on immigration reform as that will almost certainly surface in the near future.

The highlights are mine.

Morning Bell: The Obama Energy Tax Game Plan
Posted June 15th, 2010

In February of this year, after Sen. Scott Brown’s (R-MA) victory put Obamacare on life support, health insurer Anthem Blue Cross announced a 39% rate hike for its individual market subscribers in California. Despite the fact that the President’s health care plan will only drive health insurance rates higher, the White House seized on this story to revive the government takeover of the health insurance industry. Two months later when the President’s financial regulation plan was stalled in the Senate, the Securities and Exchange Commission charged Goldman Sachs with fraud in marketing some of its subprime mortgage investment products. Again, the White House pounced on this news to get its preferred legislation through Congress.

Now that the Deepwater Horizon oil spill has turned into an environmental disaster, the White House is again trying to turn public anger at one corporation into massive government intervention of an entire sector of the economy. In an email to his leftist Organizing for America activists, President Barack Obama previewed his Oval Office address tonight calling on Congress “to move forward on legislation to promote a new economy powered by green jobs, combat climate change, and end our dependence on foreign oil.” Separately, Joel Benenson, a pollster for the Democratic National Committee and Obama’s presidential campaign, circulated a memo on Capitol Hill arguing that a comprehensive energy bill “could give Democrats a potent weapon to wield against Republicans in the fall.” Politico reports that Benenson’s recommended “messaging architecture” includes the slogan “Making BP Pay Isn’t Enough” and adds: “frame the opposition” as “Big Oil and corporate polluters who have blocked energy reform for decades” and “politicians protecting the special interests that fund their campaigns.”

The irony here is that BP has been a special interest pushing for carbon pricing on Capitol Hill for years now. It was a founding member of the U.S. Climate Action Partnership, a corporatist entity that exists to enact “fair climate change.” And of course by “fair” they mean whatever subsidies and mandates they can extract from the federal government to best protect their bottom line. So this February, BP actually pulled out of USCAP because they thought: “We can be more effective if we show up in the discussion as BP.” As The Washington Examiner’s Tim Carney reports: “They made out particularly well in the House’s climate bill, while natural gas producers suffered.”

As far as the strategy in the Senate goes, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel told The New York Times last week that Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) would use elements of the Kerry-Lieberman American Power Act, the Cantwell-Collins carbon pricing plan, and the Bingaman renewable energy standard bill. A Senate aide told Politico: “an energy deal must include some serious effort to price carbon as a way to slow climate change.” The important thing to remember is that none of this is new. As Heritage Foundation Senate Relations Deputy Dan Holler reported the day before the Deepwater Horizon explosion, Reid has been planning a bait-and-switch from the beginning: first bringing up the Kerry-Lieberman cap-and-trade bill, striking it, and then replacing it with the less well known Bingaman renewable energy standards.
More here:
Morning Bell: The Obama Energy Tax Game Plan | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

It seems that our fearless leaders are planning all sorts of stuff for the waning months of the current Congress. Union Card Check, a modest cap and trade energy bill to be seriously upgraded behind closed doors in conference, a universal federal voter registration program that would override state laws, a lot of new taxes, and a lot of spending including a lot of pork.

As the clock ticks relentlessly on and the stomach turns, it's anybody's guess how much of it they'll get done, but since everybody seems to be resigned that it is the Democrats' last chance to do it, they're going to try to do a whole lot of it.

Or of couse they could take the statesmanlike approach and hear the people and not act hastily and without careful thought.

What do you think the chances are of that?

Odds anyone?

The Obama-Pelosi Lame Duck Strategy
By JOHN FUND
WSJ - July 9, 2010

Democratic House members are so worried about the fall elections they're leaving Washington on July 30, a full week earlier than normal—and they won't return until mid-September. Members gulped when National Journal's Charlie Cook, the Beltway's leading political handicapper, predicted last month "the House is gone," meaning a GOP takeover. He thinks Democrats will hold the Senate, but with a significantly reduced majority.

The rush to recess gives Democrats little time to pass any major laws. That's why there have been signs in recent weeks that party leaders are planning an ambitious, lame-duck session to muscle through bills in December they don't want to defend before November. Retiring or defeated members of Congress would then be able to vote for sweeping legislation without any fear of voter retaliation.

John Fund discusses the Democratic agenda for the lame duck Congress, including cap and trade, card-check, and pork.

"I've got lots of things I want to do" in a lame duck, Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D., W. Va.) told reporters in mid June. North Dakota's Kent Conrad, chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, wants a lame-duck session to act on the recommendations of President Obama's deficit commission, which is due to report on Dec. 1. "It could be a huge deal," he told Roll Call last month. "We could get the country on a sound long-term fiscal path." By which he undoubtedly means new taxes in exchange for extending some, but not all, of the Bush-era tax reductions that will expire at the end of the year.

In the House, Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva, co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, told reporters last month that for bills like "card check"—the measure to curb secret-ballot union elections—"the lame duck would be the last chance, quite honestly, for the foreseeable future."

Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin, chair of the Senate committee overseeing labor issues, told the Bill Press radio show in June that "to those who think [card check] is dead, I say think again." He told Mr. Press "we're still trying to maneuver" a way to pass some parts of the bill before the next Congress is sworn in.

Other lame-duck possibilities? Senate ratification of the New Start nuclear treaty, a federally mandated universal voter registration system to override state laws, and a budget resolution to lock in increased agency spending.

Then there is pork. A Senate aide told me that "some of the biggest porkers on both sides of the aisle are leaving office this year, and a lame-duck session would be their last hurrah for spending." Likely suspects include key members of the Senate Appropriations Committee, Congress's "favor factory," such as Pennsylvania Democrat Arlen Specter and Utah Republican Bob Bennett.

More here:
John Fund: The Obama-Pelosi Lame Duck Strategy - WSJ.com
I would have voted to get er done but now I don’t want trump and Ryan to do this

And sadly they're pushing a political agenda down the throats of the people whether the people like it or not. I have no doubt their intent to do alot more damage upon their exit that they know will take decades to undo. It's what they do. Create problems, and then come in on their steeds to 'fix' it...while blaming it upon others.

It's sick and twisted.
Right back at ya

I want Congress to respect the will of the people and not RAHM through unpopular legislation against the will of the people, especially when the only way to pass it is via the votes lame duck reps and senators who have no accountability.
Do you feel the same now? I bet now you all want Paul Ryan to ram shit thru his lame duck time left

I want Congress to respect the will of the people and not RAHM through unpopular legislation against the will of the people, especially when the only way to pass it is via the votes lame duck reps and senators who have no accountability.
Do you feel the same now? I bet now you all want Paul Ryan to ram shit thru his lame duck time left

Yes, I feel the same way now. If Paul Ryan were going to take action, he would already have done so. I will note, that most of Trump's legislative agenda popular across the country (i.e., most people want to prevent illegal immigration).

And as the Senate is firmly in GOP control, the Dem controlled House will spend the next two years acting out their 2016 emotional crisis with hearings ad nauseum while Trump and the Senate make proper judiciary appointments and the Exec Branch cuts spending and regulations.

And finally, as the markets like a split government, I plan to make a great deal of money.

It seems that our fearless leaders are planning all sorts of stuff for the waning months of the current Congress. Union Card Check, a modest cap and trade energy bill to be seriously upgraded behind closed doors in conference, a universal federal voter registration program that would override state laws, a lot of new taxes, and a lot of spending including a lot of pork.

As the clock ticks relentlessly on and the stomach turns, it's anybody's guess how much of it they'll get done, but since everybody seems to be resigned that it is the Democrats' last chance to do it, they're going to try to do a whole lot of it.

Or of couse they could take the statesmanlike approach and hear the people and not act hastily and without careful thought.

What do you think the chances are of that?

Odds anyone?

The Obama-Pelosi Lame Duck Strategy
By JOHN FUND
WSJ - July 9, 2010

Democratic House members are so worried about the fall elections they're leaving Washington on July 30, a full week earlier than normal—and they won't return until mid-September. Members gulped when National Journal's Charlie Cook, the Beltway's leading political handicapper, predicted last month "the House is gone," meaning a GOP takeover. He thinks Democrats will hold the Senate, but with a significantly reduced majority.

The rush to recess gives Democrats little time to pass any major laws. That's why there have been signs in recent weeks that party leaders are planning an ambitious, lame-duck session to muscle through bills in December they don't want to defend before November. Retiring or defeated members of Congress would then be able to vote for sweeping legislation without any fear of voter retaliation.

John Fund discusses the Democratic agenda for the lame duck Congress, including cap and trade, card-check, and pork.

"I've got lots of things I want to do" in a lame duck, Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D., W. Va.) told reporters in mid June. North Dakota's Kent Conrad, chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, wants a lame-duck session to act on the recommendations of President Obama's deficit commission, which is due to report on Dec. 1. "It could be a huge deal," he told Roll Call last month. "We could get the country on a sound long-term fiscal path." By which he undoubtedly means new taxes in exchange for extending some, but not all, of the Bush-era tax reductions that will expire at the end of the year.

In the House, Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva, co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, told reporters last month that for bills like "card check"—the measure to curb secret-ballot union elections—"the lame duck would be the last chance, quite honestly, for the foreseeable future."

Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin, chair of the Senate committee overseeing labor issues, told the Bill Press radio show in June that "to those who think [card check] is dead, I say think again." He told Mr. Press "we're still trying to maneuver" a way to pass some parts of the bill before the next Congress is sworn in.

Other lame-duck possibilities? Senate ratification of the New Start nuclear treaty, a federally mandated universal voter registration system to override state laws, and a budget resolution to lock in increased agency spending.

Then there is pork. A Senate aide told me that "some of the biggest porkers on both sides of the aisle are leaving office this year, and a lame-duck session would be their last hurrah for spending." Likely suspects include key members of the Senate Appropriations Committee, Congress's "favor factory," such as Pennsylvania Democrat Arlen Specter and Utah Republican Bob Bennett.

More here:
John Fund: The Obama-Pelosi Lame Duck Strategy - WSJ.com
I would have voted to get er done but now I don’t want trump and Ryan to do this

Well since that post was in 2010 and Ryan is now lame duck and will be gone come January, it doesn't seem likely that much if any of this will be on the agenda.

Yes, I feel the same way now. If Paul Ryan were going to take action, he would already have done so. I will note, that most of Trump's legislative agenda popular across the country (i.e., most people want to prevent illegal immigration).

And as the Senate is firmly in GOP control, the Dem controlled House will spend the next two years acting out their 2016 emotional crisis with hearings ad nauseum while Trump and the Senate make proper judiciary appointments and the Exec Branch cuts spending and regulations.

And finally, as the markets like a split government, I plan to make a great deal of money.

However I am considering that Pelosi, assuming she is re-elected Speaker and I would lay odds she will be, knows that if she doesn't work at least somewhat with President Trump and the GOP, she will take the fall for things going badly, so I am cautiously hopeful that the change in leadership won't make a great deal of difference. Or they will continue on their current tactics and REALLY gin up enthusiasm for the 2020 election among the GOP. :)

Ryan is leaving and the new Republican leader won't have any say whatsoever on the House business so it doesn't matter a whole lot who it is so long as it is somebody with the backbone to stand on principle.

The judiciary is safe for at least the next two years--that was the most important thing to me--and I think President Trump will work with anybody who is willing to help him push his very good vision forward.

So I am not at all bummed out re yesterday's election.

Forum List

Back