Obama pays less than a third on taxes

so if i tell people that paying 10% taxes harms america and instead we need to pay 20%. and i don't pay 20% taxes that would benefit america because i don't legally have to...i'm not a hypocrite....

sorry, but that is the very definition of hypocrisy....hypocrisy does not require you to be legally compelled to do something. if you say someone should do this and then you don't do "this", that is hypocritical.

I can see we're going to beat the dead horse for awhile.

Let's try this. In one case, Obama is talking about national policy he (and others) believe is necessary for the nation. In the other case, Obama is acting as an individual in paying his own taxes. He's acting in two separate capacities.

Just like I didn't expect Bush to send his personal wealth to the Pentagon just because he thought (hopefully) it was in the nation's interest to attack Iraq.

See the difference?

its not dead, just because you can't admit the hypocrisy doesn't mean its dead....

answer the question:

what does legal obligation have to do with hypocrisy? you have yet to answer how telling someone to do one thing while you do another just because you are not legally compelled to, is not hypocrisy...

Please show us where Obama ever said that he expected or told anyone to pay a higher rate of tax than required by the tax code. And then we can talk about whether it's hypocritical that he didn't.

Last edited:
I can see we're going to beat the dead horse for awhile.

Let's try this. In one case, Obama is talking about national policy he (and others) believe is necessary for the nation. In the other case, Obama is acting as an individual in paying his own taxes. He's acting in two separate capacities.

Just like I didn't expect Bush to send his personal wealth to the Pentagon just because he thought (hopefully) it was in the nation's interest to attack Iraq.

See the difference?

its not dead, just because you can't admit the hypocrisy doesn't mean its dead....

answer the question:

what does legal obligation have to do with hypocrisy? you have yet to answer how telling someone to do one thing while you do another just because you are not legally compelled to, is not hypocrisy...

Please show us where Obama ever said that he expected or told anyone to pay a higher rate of tax than required by the tax code. And then we can talk about whether it's hypocritical that he didn't.

if you are not going to answer my questions, why bother debating? the issue of tax code is a red herring. fact: obama said that lower taxes hurt america and that we need to pay more taxes. fact: obama did not pay more taxes. you still don't see the point that one does not have to wait for legal compulsion. if that were true, nothing would ever get done.

the fact you can't answer my simple question regarding hypocrisy shows you know i am right. all you're doing is running in circles and hoping these red herrings you keep throwing up will distract those reading the thread. i've posted that question approx 3 times, if you are not goign to answer it, then just say so.

answer the question:

if you are not going to answer my questions, why bother debating? the issue of tax code is a red herring. fact: obama said that lower taxes hurt america and that we need to pay more taxes. fact: obama did not pay more taxes. you still don't see the point that one does not have to wait for legal compulsion. if that were true, nothing would ever get done.

the fact you can't answer my simple question regarding hypocrisy shows you know i am right. all you're doing is running in circles and hoping these red herrings you keep throwing up will distract those reading the thread. i've posted that question approx 3 times, if you are not goign to answer it, then just say so.

Your question was based upon a false premise. It's like asking how often do you beat your wife? when you don't.

But I've answered your question. It's not hypocritical that Obama did not pay more taxes than required under the code because he doesn't expect anyone else to either.

As you have just shown, Obama has never told anyone to pay more taxes than they are required to under the tax code. So the fact that he did not either is not in anyway hypocritical at all.

Last edited:

Your question was based upon a false premise. It's like asking how often do you beat your wife? when you don't.

But I've answered your question. It's not hypocritical that Obama did not pay more taxes than required under the code because he doesn't expect anyone else to either.

As you have just shown, Obama has never told anyone to pay more taxes than they are required to under the tax code. So the fact that he did not either is not in anyway hypocritical at all.

why don't you expect the obamalama to pay 91% of his wealth in taxes if it will save this fucking country? Huh? Oh, it's not that Important.. I see.

why don't you expect the obamalama to pay 91% of his wealth in taxes if it will save this fucking country? Huh? Oh, it's not that Important.. I see.

Obama made what, $3 million? 91% of that is $2.7million. That reduces the deficit from $500 billion to $499,997,300,000.

Nope, that idea doesn't fly.

Obama made what, $3 million? 91% of that is $2.7million. That reduces the deficit from $500 billion to $499,997,300,000.

well how much does 91% of say a 100,000 dollars come too. Quit being such an obvious hypocrite.. We are starting to mock you! :funnyface:

well how much does 91% of say a 100,000 dollars come too. Quit being such an obvious hypocrite.. We are starting to mock you! :funnyface:

What in the hell are you babbling about?

obama flat out said bush tax cuts are not good for america and should be reversed. obama flat out said the rich should pay more in taxes. do you deny he said said those things? yes or no.

and since you want to play this little tax code game, show me where obama said you had to pay ONLY the amount required under the law. please show me where obama said to pay ONLY what the current tax code says.

obama flat out said bush tax cuts are not good for america and should be reversed. obama flat out said the rich should pay more in taxes. do you deny he said said those things? yes or no.

I don't know specifically what Obama said, I'll take your word for it, but I'm pretty sure that he wasn't talking about people paying more than the tax code says. I'm pretty sure he was talking about revising the tax code that applies to everyone.

and since you want to play this little tax code game, show me where obama said you had to pay ONLY the amount required under the law. please show me where obama said to pay ONLY what the current tax code says.

I never claimed he did. What I wrote was "Obama has never told anyone to pay more taxes than they are required to under the tax code."

Is what you are contending that Obama was making some kind of moral plea to people to voluntarily pay more in taxes that they are required to, and therefore he should have followed his own request? I don't think that was his point about higher taxes. I think his point was that the Bush tax cuts need to be repealed, and the higher tax rates implemented, because the Govt needs more revenue.

I don't know specifically what Obama said, I'll take your word for it, but I'm pretty sure that he wasn't talking about people paying more than the tax code says. I'm pretty sure he was talking about revising the tax code that applies to everyone.

I never claimed he did. What I wrote was "Obama has never told anyone to pay more taxes than they are required to under the tax code."

Is what you are contending that Obama was making some kind of moral plea to people to voluntarily pay more in taxes that they are required to, and therefore he should have followed his own request? I don't think that was his point about higher taxes. I think his point was that the Bush tax cuts need to be repealed, and the higher tax rates implemented, because the Govt needs more revenue.

then why have you been arguing with me....if the government needs more revenue why do you have to wait for government compulsion to help america? so you're telling me that you will only act in america's greater interest only and only if the government forces you...interesting.

so when you tell someone to do something that will help them or society, you fully expect them to not to a single thing you said until the government makes it compulsory....interesting philosophy

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, millionaires from his best-selling books, made $2.7 million last year and paid just under one-third of their adjusted income in federal taxes. While the income, mostly his, was far more than the U.S. median household income of about $50,000, it was quite a decrease from the $4.2 million the Obamas made in 2007.

Obamas report $2.7 million in income for 2008

doesn't obama's plan call for those over 250K to have an approx. 40% tax rate?

They reported contributing $172,050 to charity last year, including $25,000 each to the CARE international relief agency and the United Negro College Fund. That $172,050 represented about 6.5 percent of the family's adjusted gross income. That percentage is roughly two to three times the national average for household donations to charity, according to the Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University. :clap2:

Why do they compare "adjusted gross income" instead of "gross income"?
I imagine the Obama family has a lot more adjustments than most people (as a percentage of their income).

Here is the actual tax return. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/president_federal1040_disclosure.pdf

then why have you been arguing with me....if the government needs more revenue why do you have to wait for government compulsion to help america? so you're telling me that you will only act in america's greater interest only and only if the government forces you...interesting.

Lost me.

so when you tell someone to do something that will help them or society, you fully expect them to not to a single thing you said until the government makes it compulsory....interesting philosophy

LOL your point is that I should pay more in taxes than I have too? Sure pal. How more more did you send in April 15th?

Lost me.

LOL your point is that I should pay more in taxes than I have too? Sure pal. How more more did you send in April 15th?

sorry i lost you....however, we are talking about the same thing...obama wants higher taxes to help america, or as you put it because the government needs more revenue. i don't understand why you can't answer a simple question:

do you only help america when the government tells you to?

psssssssssssst, i sent as little as possible because i have NEVER advocated higher taxes for anyone. and if you go around and advocate the i or others should pay higher taxes, then you had better pay it yourself. apparently you believe that obama can go around telling others they need to pay higher taxes in order to help america, but that obama, and anyone else, doesn't have to, until and only until, they are FORCED to.....

i don't live my life by the principle that i act only if the government tells me i must act. if i say something and i say others should live by that, i live by that, regardless of the government forcing me to.

do you understand what i am conveying?

Lost me.

sorry i lost you....however, we are talking about the same thing...obama wants higher taxes to help america, or as you put it because the government needs more revenue. i don't understand why you can't answer a simple question:

do you only help america when the government tells you to?

what do you mean by help America? Do I only pay taxes I have to? Yep.

psssssssssssst, i sent as little as possible because i have NEVER advocated higher taxes for anyone. and if you go around and advocate the i or others should pay higher taxes, then you had better pay it yourself. apparently you believe that obama can go around telling others they need to pay higher taxes in order to help america, but that obama, and anyone else, doesn't have to, until and only until, they are FORCED to.....

i don't live my life by the principle that i act only if the government tells me i must act. if i say something and i say others should live by that, i live by that, regardless of the government forcing me to.

do you understand what i am conveying?

Yeah. You don't believe in helping America. :eek:

you didn't answer my questions...again

apparently you believe you only have to what the government tells you...

obama is a hypocrite, thanks for that

you didn't answer my questions...again

Yes I did

apparently you believe you only have to what the government tells you...

No I don't

obama is a hypocrite, thanks for that

No he isn't.

Horse dead enough yet?

trust me, go back and read....you did not answer my question and if you don't believe that you must act only when the government says so.....then you agree with me.

you have said that obama didn't need to pay more because the tax code said he didn't. you have said that one doesn't need the government to tell them what to do. obama, as you rightfully said, says those who make over 250K should pay MORE taxes as the government needs MORE revenue.

your argument is that obama shouldn't have to because the tax code says he doesn't.

you admit that one doesn't need the government to force you to act on your beliefs.

therefore, obama doesn't need a government tax code to tell him to pay more in taxes in order to help america or raise revenue as you say.....

Forum List

Back