Obama pandering for votes offshore

Getting a little nit picky there, aren't ya?

Off shore is a hell of a lot easier than; Outside the continental United states. :lol:

They don't get to vote, so it's not that big a deal anyway.

They get to vote in primaries..not the general.

IHMO they should become a state.

I think so too. Apparently the citizenery feels otherwise. Territories receive all the benefits, none of the responsibility.
Sounds like liberalism at its finest. :lol:

They don't mind responsibility..

List of Puerto Rican recipients of the Medal of Honor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They don't like Taxes.

Sounds very conservative to me.

I think so too. Apparently the citizenery feels otherwise. Territories receive all the benefits, none of the responsibility.

List of Puerto Rican recipients of the Medal of Honor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They don't like Taxes.

No one would "want" to vote to get taxed.

Why get taxed when you get all the benefits w/o incuring the costs.

They don't like Taxes.

Not saying THEY aren't the smart ones. :razz:

Getting a little nit picky there, aren't ya?

Off shore is a hell of a lot easier than; Outside the continental United states. :lol:

They don't get to vote, so it's not that big a deal anyway.

when i visited there, i was told by a local official one of the biggest reasons that PR has becoming a state is dealing with english as the main language. only 20% of the population speaks english and they would have to change the main education system and way of life to incorporate english into every day life.

now im not sure how much of that is valid, but it seems to be a main sticking point between the Fed or PR. opinions?

Whatever their statehood concerns are they ARE American citizens by law, therefore it should put to rest the BS that Spanish isn't an American language.

when i visited there, i was told by a local official one of the biggest reasons that PR has becoming a state is dealing with english as the main language. only 20% of the population speaks english and they would have to change the main education system and way of life to incorporate english into every day life.

now im not sure how much of that is valid, but it seems to be a main sticking point between the Fed or PR. opinions?

Whatever their statehood concerns are they ARE American citizens by law, therefore it should put to rest the BS that Spanish isn't an American language.

i wasnt making the point that spanish is not an american language, it was making the point that it was one of the things keeping PR from gaining statehood, and it has apparently been an issue for quite a while. (but i said im not sure how true that is, but it was one of the views of a local Puerto Rican, and he said there a infighting about the issue on the island)

They don't like Taxes.

There's more to it then that. Some people want independence. There's still resentment over how Puerto Rico was acquired by the US, the fact that Puerto Ricans were treated as second class citizens for quite some time, and the devaluation and eventual elimination of the Puerto Rican currency. I personally think, however, Puerto Rico has benefitted from American involvement when you compare it to similar islands in the Caribbean.

I just think it's interesting that's all. First President in 50 years to visit the territory. Stumping for votes of people of Florida, New York, etc. by visiting their motherland is how the article spins the visit. Not sure why he just didn't visit their neighborhoods or towns.

They don't like Taxes.

There's more to it then that. Some people want independence. There's still resentment over how Puerto Rico was acquired by the US, the fact that Puerto Ricans were treated as second class citizens for quite some time, and the devaluation and eventual elimination of the Puerto Rican currency. I personally think, however, Puerto Rico has benefitted from American involvement when you compare it to similar islands in the Caribbean.

I agree.

I also think the US Govt should kick all the territories loose.

These territories have it made right now so why would they ruin it by becoming a State??

Why buy the cow when your getting the milk for free??

I'd kick em all loose.

New Topics

Forum List

Back