Obama orders 17,000 troops to Afghanistan

So much for bringin' em home.

Just like the previous poster. This is spin bullshit. He said he would be bringing the troops back from Iraq not Afghanistan.

We won't win this one no matter how long we stay. Been there, done that, by many countries for many centruies.

Fuck them and let them sort it out. Maybe in a thousand years if the planet still exists, they will have moved into the 20th century. Right now, they are a danger only to themself.

If Bush hadn't taken his eye off the ball, we could have at least weakened the Taliban to a level where they would now be an impotent bunch of wannabee mullahs.

Right, I know he's gone but the "good" he's done lingers on in many ways.:evil::(

where oh where o where are all the patriotic anti-war protesters??? hhmmmm?

I agree with Obama wanting to give more focus to Afghanistan. However, he is going to need to move a lot more troops than a mere 17,000. He is going to have to be willing to be very aggressive and willing to make other nations very unhappy if he wishes to have success. So time will tell.

Further, if he does not care for Iraq properly, then in 4 years when he is ready to leave office, he will passing on a situation which may require a new US build up in Iraq.

He is already making fatal mistakes in Iraq. The north has been a shining light of stability and as he screws around he is letting Turkish greed and hate for the Kurds destroy the balance which has worked so well.

Between Iraq and Afghanistan he faces multiple and huge military and political issues. I don't envy him, but, he was a very vocal armchair general for a long time, so he should be more than prepared to handle these situations.

Louie [Claude Raines]: "And what in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"

Rick [Humphrey Bogart]: "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."

Louie: "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert!"

Rick: "I was misinformed."

-- From the Film, 'Casablanca'

Obama understands the importance of a future oil pipeline through Afghanistan. I wonder how much the oil companies contributed to his campaign?

not nearly as much as they did to Bush's. so don't worry. ;)

Actually, it's about the same. Obviously, oil companies are prohibited from giving money directly to any federal candidate, but he received a large amount of money from executives in the oil industry. He's following Bush closely in this regard.

New Topics

Forum List

Back