Obama on the flag? Seriously?

I'm surprised the left hasn't made a push to have Obama's
image on all our currency...
Maybe they are saving that for after he gets another Nobel Prize.

At least presidents faces BELONG on our currency.

Yeah. But aren't the presidents supposed to be dead before they are so immortalized? I think the same applies for naming ships after presidents. Not so much buildings which can be identified by names of living people.

Reagan had a damn aircraft carrier named after him whilehe was still alive.

Yeah. But aren't the presidents supposed to be dead before they are so immortalized? I think the same applies for naming ships after presidents. Not so much buildings which can be identified by names of living people.

I thought about what you said here and I was going to say, "No, the USS Ronald Reagan was christened before his death", I thought there were others, but according to Wiki, the Reagan was the first ship to have this honor. I wonder if they expected his death after the keel was laid but before the christening?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ronald_Reagan_(CVN-76)

USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) is a Nimitz-class nuclear-powered supercarrier in the service of the United States Navy. The ninth ship of her class,[2] she is named in honor of former President Ronald Reagan, President of the United States from 1981 to 1989. Upon her christening in 2001, she was the first ship to be named for a former president still living at the time.

Immie

Reagan didn't know much of anybody or anything in 2001 when the USS Reagan was christiened. Reagan died of alzheimers disease in 2004. While this was the first ship to bear the name of a living President, it was hardly Reagan's doing.

I thought about what you said here and I was going to say, "No, the USS Ronald Reagan was christened before his death", I thought there were others, but according to Wiki, the Reagan was the first ship to have this honor. I wonder if they expected his death after the keel was laid but before the christening?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ronald_Reagan_(CVN-76)

USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) is a Nimitz-class nuclear-powered supercarrier in the service of the United States Navy. The ninth ship of her class,[2] she is named in honor of former President Ronald Reagan, President of the United States from 1981 to 1989. Upon her christening in 2001, she was the first ship to be named for a former president still living at the time.

Immie

I suspect that was the case. Reagan did outlive his prognosis by several years, but he was in really bad shape. I think the rationale of the Defense Dept. was probably that he would be gone, and when he wasn't, they went ahead with the christening while Nancy Reagan, also in declining health, could still appreciate it.

Reagan didn't know much of anybody or anything in 2001 when the USS Reagan was christiened. Reagan died of alzheimers disease in 2004. While this was the first ship to bear the name of a living President, it was hardly Reagan's doing.

I think the important distinction is that he was a 'former' president, not a sitting one.

Well there is that nobel peace prize just for getting elected.....i mean our standards aren't what they once were :lol: oh its not funny :(

And..I noticed..no outrage from you..on it either.

:lol:

none from me either, because I didn't see it flying. Also, it's not a person's face, for some reason I find that even more disturbing. Then again, maybe I don't find the tea flag as obnoxious because I am all things tea. I collect tea cups and tea pots and tea trays, etc. I like tea. Don't think I want an American flag with a teapot on it though, that's just wrong.

For the record, we shouldn't be disfiguring the American flag with anything. We also shouldn't be using the American flag as a quilt, or clothing of any type.

I have no problems with the American flag on a t-shirt, but huge problems with a t-shirt made out of the American flag.

I don't have any problem with patriotic looking stars and stripes and colors being used in graphics or on clothing or banners or whatever. Such are not flags.

I was raised to respect and honor the flag, not as an object, but for the blood and treasure and American exceptionalism that it represents. When so many good people have put their lives on the line, many who were wounded or were killed, to defend me and/or my freedoms, how can I dishonor the most recognizable symbol of all that?

So not the President's face, no matter who he is, or a Tea Party graphic--I question whether that was even actually a flag. Certainly nothing like that has turned up at any Tea Party event I have attended but if it happened, it was inappropriate and disrespectful and I am certain that anyone who brought it would have been asked to put it away--nor any other emblem or symbol should be imposed on the American flag.
I agree. I wonder if she realizes this?

palinflag.jpg

I'd find it much worse if it wasn't beneath the US flag, but it's weird nonetheless. I don't care for it.

It's funny that they threw in the "made in China" jab at the end, as if this is a rare occurrence for anything.

It took me days to find a US flag, MADE in the US.
If it will make you
feel any better, there's a company here in Georgia that makes chopsticks for export to China.

They don't have enough wood to waste on chopsticks. We send them a cuppla million pair every day.

none from me either, because I didn't see it flying. Also, it's not a person's face, for some reason I find that even more disturbing. Then again, maybe I don't find the tea flag as obnoxious because I am all things tea. I collect tea cups and tea pots and tea trays, etc. I like tea. Don't think I want an American flag with a teapot on it though, that's just wrong.

For the record, we shouldn't be disfiguring the American flag with anything. We also shouldn't be using the American flag as a quilt, or clothing of any type.

I have no problems with the American flag on a t-shirt, but huge problems with a t-shirt made out of the American flag.

I don't have any problem with patriotic looking stars and stripes and colors being used in graphics or on clothing or banners or whatever. Such are not flags.

I was raised to respect and honor the flag, not as an object, but for the blood and treasure and American exceptionalism that it represents. When so many good people have put their lives on the line, many who were wounded or were killed, to defend me and/or my freedoms, how can I dishonor the most recognizable symbol of all that?

So not the President's face, no matter who he is, or a Tea Party graphic--I question whether that was even actually a flag. Certainly nothing like that has turned up at any Tea Party event I have attended but if it happened, it was inappropriate and disrespectful and I am certain that anyone who brought it would have been asked to put it away--nor any other emblem or symbol should be imposed on the American flag.
I agree. I wonder if she realizes this?

palinflag.jpg

That is an individuals intent (which is misguided) but lawful.

Plastering living presidents on a flag is illegal..

Why the fuck do you think Obamas head hasn't replaced GW on the $1 bill???

No you don't understand...

from the OP link...

Did she just pull the race card?

Yeah, that is such crap... "leads me to believe" blah blah

Has any other president ever done that...?

I don't think Obama is involved. But I don't think he opposes it either.
Descretion of the flag is a crime. That is what this is.
I agree Obama likely did not order it. This looks to be the work of an extremely poorly educated, dim-witted Kool-aid drinker that missed all classes in American History (sort of like dear leader himself...more interested in countries where the leader is worshiped.)

Yeah, that is such crap... "leads me to believe" blah blah

Has any other president ever done that...?

I don't think Obama is involved. But I don't think he opposes it either.
Descretion of the flag is a crime. That is what this is.
I agree Obama likely did not order it. This looks to be the work of an extremely poorly educated, dim-witted Kool-aid drinker that missed all classes in American History (sort of like dear leader himself...more interested in countries where the leader is worshiped.)

Either that or a person that saw a market for a flag bearing the face of The One.

Immie

True...and now we have the USS George HW Bush...

Curious though there's no 'Clinton'...:eusa_whistle:

They'd have to name a submarine after Clinton.

They'd have to name a submarine after Clinton.
:badgrin:

(I was thinking garbage scow)...but....:D

Forum List

Back