Obama offers unemployment benefits on the job

Seriously; I can't make this stuff up. Obama wants to new workers to keep their unemployment benefits! The rationale is that they should be allowed to work and make sure they like their job in case they want to quit and be a leach. Seriously, what happened to the saying, it's called work for a reason. This is so preposterous that it could only come from Obama. I guess as unemployment goes up, Obama is hoping to get votes from the lazy and the apologists. He's banking on America's decline producing enough useful idiots.

States asked to apply for unemployment test plan - Yahoo! News
I have no idea what happened to unemployment rules. I collected when I was a kid after I got laid off...The rules were pretty strict.
First, if a worker was terminated for cause or left the employer on their own, they were ineligible for unemployment benefits.
Second, each two weeks, unemployment recipients MUST have made at least SIX verifiable contacts in the search for work. If those were not made, the recipient would NOT receive any compensation AND their case was reopened.
The bottom line is unemployment benefits were not and never were intended to be a 99 week vacation at taxpayer's expense.
I think unemployment should be made available only to those who are actively looking for work and have lost their job through no fault of their own. The maximum term should be 52 weeks.

This is still true. Nothing has changed.

Dont worry the "professsional deadbeats" will figure a ways to scam the system in a nano second.

There is no "Obama plan". The link in the OP is about Obama encouraging states to adopt a plan like Georgia's.

And the people in question would be receiving UI anyway - would you rather they get training while receiving it, and possibly a full-time job, or would you rather they sit on the couch all day?

I'd rather them not get a stipend (salary) AND UEI at the same time.

EDIT:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/jobs_act.pdf
A new “Bridge to Work” program: The plan builds on and improves innovative state programs where those displaced take temporary, voluntary work or pursue on-the-job training.

No Obama Plan? Sounds like the White House disagrees with you.

The "stipend" is UI. There's no double payment.

But there IS an 'Obama Plan', at least according to the White House, so you're incorrect on that point.

'Bridge To Work' Will Let States Experiment With Unemployment Insurance
The administration's model, which it calls "Bridge to Work," is different from Georgia Works in several ways. The Labor Department's guidance to states, released Thursday, says states can give businesses wage subsidies for training workers. They can also direct payments to employers who hire workers receiving unemployment compensation to cover part of the new hire's wages.
If the employers are not paying the new hires, WHY would they need a payment from the state to cover part of the new hires wages???

So... they get unemployment AND wages from the employer (part of which is covered by the states).

'Bridge To Work' Will Let States Experiment With Unemployment Insurance
The administration's model, which it calls "Bridge to Work," is different from Georgia Works in several ways. The Labor Department's guidance to states, released Thursday, says states can give businesses wage subsidies for training workers. They can also direct payments to employers who hire workers receiving unemployment compensation to cover part of the new hire's wages.
If the employers are not paying the new hires, WHY would they need a payment from the state to cover part of the new hires wages???

So... they get unemployment AND wages from the employer (part of which is covered by the states).

End of thread

It's LiberalThink: government's job is to remove all risk, uncertainty, and discomfort from people's lives.

The fact that Republicans so often succumb to it just shows what an infectious disease LiberalThink is.

Did you even bother to read the article?

The plan is modeled after a Georgia program called "Georgia Works." Under the plan, workers who have lost jobs can be placed in other temporary jobs as trainees for short periods to retain their skills or gain new ones while receiving jobless assistance. About a third of the time, those workers wind up getting hired full-time.

A number of states are combining unemployment benefits with on-the-job training, including North Carolina, New Hampshire, Utah and Missouri.

Whole lotta conservative states in there.

The plan passed with support from leading Republicans, including House Speaker John Boehner and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor.

I, for one, am glad to see some sign of bi-partisan cooperation to address the issues facing our country. But of course, hacks won't stand for that.

Forum List

Back