Obama offers quake-ravaged Japan any assistance needed

At least 45 countries have assembled relief teams, including 68 search-and-rescue operations, and were awaiting Japan's direction on where to deploy, said Elisabeth Byrs of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

Stoopid United Nations. Useless!

Helpin' Japan...
:cool:
Japan earthquake: How you can help
March 12, 2011 - After a devastating earthquake rocked Japan, spawning a deadly tsunami, many people want to give to relief efforts.
After the fifth largest earthquake in history struck Japan, many Americans have been eager to help -- but donations can be tricky, particularly in the earliest phase of the recovery effort. Despite the massive destruction seen in Tokyo and the surrounding area, "at this stage it's very difficult to say the extent of the need," said Andrea Koppel, a spokeswoman from the American Red Cross.

Daniel Borochoff, president of the American Institute of Philanthropy, advises those ready to make donations to "wait and see how the situation develops and step forward when clear charitable needs arise." An immediate response is not necessarily best, he says. "It's ok to get assessments on the situation and then send contributions."

For those who intend to help victims of Friday's 8.9-magnitude quake, experts advise following these guidelines in the days ahead:

Who to give to

See also:

Japan's Earthquake: How to Avoid Charity Scams
March 11, 2011 – In the wake of disasters like the earthquake and tsunami that just hit Japan, many people will reach for their checkbooks to contribute to charities assisting in the relief effort. But before you do, it’s important to make sure you’re not getting scammed into giving your money to the wrong people.
Sadly, some scammers will try to take advantage of tragedies by setting up fake charities and getting unsuspecting victims to donate to what they believe are relief efforts. And even some legitimate charities are nevertheless unworthy of your hard-earned dollars, either because they’re ill-equipped to handle large disasters or because too much of their money is spent on overhead. So how can you avoid these scams and make sure your money goes to the people who really need it?

“First and foremost, we always advise in these situations that donors avoid brand new charities,” says Sandra Miniutti, spokesperson for the charity ratings site Charity Navigator. She says that the FBI tracked approximately 4,000 phony charity websites that cropped up in the wake of the Hurricane Katrina disaster, with some scammers launching their sites before the hurricane had even made landfall. As the body count rises in Japan, we can expect similar websites soliciting donations for what they claim are disaster relief efforts.

That’s not to say that every new charity that pops up in the coming days is going to be a scam. But Miniutti says that even legitimate funds and charities that appear after a disaster may not be the best target for your dollars. “Even groups with the best of intentions, there’s no way they’ll be effective,” she says. “It’s better to concentrate on ones that focus on the region, or have [experience with] relief and recovery.” The organization points to a few charities that it considers particularly effective and well-equipped to handle disasters of this proportion, including AmeriCares, International Rescue Committee, Save the Children and the American Red Cross.

MORE

And yet no mention of them in the weekly address?

That fucker blazes his own trail, huh?

My understanding is that US Army boots are already on the ground, probably because we have a base there. The BBC said over 1,000 US Army were deployed to assist in the immediate aftermath.

Let's also remember though, that a huge international effort is underway.... it ain't just us, guys.

My understanding is that US Army boots are already on the ground, probably because we have a base there. The BBC said over 1,000 US Army were deployed to assist in the immediate aftermath.

Let's also remember though, that a huge international effort is underway.... it ain't just us, guys.

Have you heard anything on what China is offering?

Yea, they've sent their emergency response teams and doctors.... just like most other countries. The Brits who arrived back from NZ yesterday headed straight back out to Japan. Thousands of countries are helping. I think it's good to get some perspective on it and not assume that we are doing something extraordinary. We are not. We are helping.... as we should.... and so are other countries.

Yea, they've sent their emergency response teams and doctors.... just like most other countries. The Brits who arrived back from NZ yesterday headed straight back out to Japan. Thousands of countries are helping. I think it's good to get some perspective on it and not assume that we are doing something extraordinary. We are not. We are helping.... as we should.... and so are other countries.

It should be interesting to see how China responds. They want to be the major player in the region. Coming up big in a humanitarian effort would be a significant first step

Well duh... What the fuck else was he going to say? "Pound sand?"
No shit........These Obamabots are so desperate to find something, ANYTHING to show that Obama is actually showing some damn leadership.....'cause lord knows the leader he ain't!

LMAO!

Good for Obama.......Looks like he finally perused the job description section of the employee manual!

It should be interesting to see how China responds. They want to be the major player in the region. Coming up big in a humanitarian effort would be a significant first step

I think the US Army beat them to the 'first foreigners to respond'. So that's not gonna go down well with China. :lol: But, in fairness to them, from what I've read, they're sending what they can.

L.A's Urban Search and Rescue (LAUSAR, the best in the world) also deverted from NZ, and are sending additional team members, along with swift water rescue teams from L.A. city, and county FD's.

Clinton stopping 'misspeaking' about dropping things on reactors might help, it might have helped her election campaign a while back as well, if she wasn't 'under fire' in some European country.

I think the US Army beat them to the 'first foreigners to respond'. So that's not gonna go down well with China. :lol: But, in fairness to them, from what I've read, they're sending what they can.

Good to see China as part of the international community

Forum List

Back